Gibson Brands Forums

les paul axcess

lolo_guitar

To my taste, the stock pickups are fine, referring to the hardtail model of a bandmate and the Alex Lifeson Signature guitar of mine featuring the Graph Tech piezo Floyd Rose system.

Both of them came with the ceramic-loaded 496R and the 498T with AlNiCo 5 magnet. Those of the Alex Lifeson guitar are chrome-covered - not nickel as erratingly written often, they are made to match the looks of the vibrato bridge, not offered in nickel by the manufacturer. Anyway, I prefer chrome over everything else. As with all the Axcess guitars except for the Alex Lifeson model, the pickups of my bandmate's guitar are open-coil with black bobbins.

The serial/parallel push/pull options are great, I love them. Due to the line driver of the active Graph Tech Acousti-Phonic circuit, the Alex Lifeson's magnetic pickups run without a guitar cable capacitance load, and I also didn't add one. Their sound is more open this way, offering lots of treble and brilliance, and less upper midrange bite. This effect is about doubled when using the parallel option, allowing for nice and decent clean tones as well as blistering distortion.

My pal's hardtail Axcess delivers the typical tone of the 496R/498T combo. The 496R is full, round and jazzy, and the 498T puts out lots of aggressive overtones. When used with parallel coils, they come close to the series mode tone of these in the Alex Lifeson model but with some more upper midrange and less brilliance.

The even bass and lower midrange response of the 496R and the increased lower midrange articulation of the 498T are about the same in active and passive circuits. The Acousti-Phonic is set to unity gain for magnetic pickups, and the piezos can be attenuated for matching the magnetic output.

496R and 498T are great when combined, too, in series/series, series/parallel, parallel/series, and parallel/parallel modes as well. Into the bargain, I had a push/pull phase switch added in the tone control position of my Alex Lifeson Axcess, adding another four exciting tonal options, i. e. reversed series/series, reversed series/parallel, reversed parallel/series, and reversed parallel/parallel modes.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

yes

but i have an Epiphone lol

that's why i don't have the sustain and the clean sound that i like

One of my Les Paul guitars is an Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus featuring Gibson '57 Classic in the neck and '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position. She is pretty close to my Gibson Standard 2012 with BB Pros. The Gibby is more sensitive to touch and dynamic playing, and also has more bite and overtones when pushed.

All in all, the Epi is rather different than inferior. I love the clean sound of both Epi and Gibby. The parallel option I already knew from my Alex Lifeson model was the reason why I checked out the Epi and eventually added her to my then two Gibson LPs. So I have a stoptail LP with that feature, too. Adding a hardtail Gibson Axcess LP for that reason seemed too expensive to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived