Gibson Brands Forums

The Epiphone LP that may as well be a Gibson

Rabs

I wish I could find out the scoop on the guitar. How many will be made??? Perhaps they have all been made and they truly are a limited edition. It is very surprising to me that Guitar Center did not jump on these at all. I mean they did not order any in for stock. I wish some one from here had more clout than I do and could find out some good info on these..This is truly a mystery guitar.

Steve

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent an email to Epiphone a couple of weeks ago and all they would say is that it's a limited run based on a limited time to order. No info as to how many have actually been made. I had originally asked for information on US distributors and when they basically gave me no insight beyond the obvious...I mentioned that I managed to purchase one through Sam Ash. Their response was "congratulations on your guitar purchase..."

Shawn

I would like to see some close-ups as well. This is not good news. However my LM is fine, having been played regularly for the last month. There are no problems with the rosewood or any other strange things like binding cracks... OTOH its a 4-week old guitar so I certainly expect it would be in 'like new' condition. I wonder if the relatively mild California climate protects the laminated parts. Ken

Looked at mine close and do not see any problems thus far. I had my frets dressed today, and it is much better. Just an observation but we are thinking the frets may be a little larger than medium jumbo. The specs on Epiphones site do not say. Let me know what you guys are thinking about them????

Steve

imagejpg2_zps3e37904b.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc5168064.jpg

Epiphone replied to my email and directed me to a local warranty service repair shop in Dallas. The more I think about it I'm upset that I have to find time to take it in for warranty service when I've only had it a few weeks and paid $800 for it. I probably should have noticed before but I guess it was the honeymoon period.

If you notice closely the areas between the frets are clearly not finished properly. It's only those two areas, though.

Shawn

Man, I've got to learn to play righty. Being lefty sucks....so little guitars!!! And when they make one its a weird color pattern! I don't understand why a limited number of each "tribute" edition can't be made for us lefties to buy. I think they would be snatched up no problem!!

Thanks for the pics, that makes the problem more clear. It almost looks like a "heavy wear" issue but obviously we can rule that out on a new guitar so it must be a construction flaw. IMO should have been caught in final inspection and maybe sent to "B" stock or repaired before it was sold. I hope you get a replacement (my theory being they are sitting on a pile of these new, unsold Lee Malias) without having to go apoplectic on them.

My fingerboard looks fine and my experience with Indonesian guitars is that they stand up to extended playing quite well. Good luck!

Ken

This is a bit of information I received. Don't ask me from who, but trust me it is reliable:

"We typically do not receive production numbers for limited runs from the division, but we do usually have an idea. Globally speaking, we are looking at around 1000 units for this model. Don’t forget that these were exclusive to Europe and Japan first, but that number should be pretty accurate still."

Steve

Sam Ash is going to let me return it. They don't have any more in stock so I'm just going to sit on it for a while and decide what to do.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Shawn

Did Sam Ash give any indication if/when they would get more in stock?

Thanks,

Ian

Ian,

No they didn't. I'm reluctant at this point to pay $800 sight unseen again.

Shawn

Thanks, I've been jonsing for one of these, but I'm not sure I want to put money down and wait... and wait... and wait... with the possibility they won't get anymore.

Hopefully Epiphone will fix the problem if any new stock becomes available.

Shawn have you contacted Epiphone/Gibson? If you want this guitar I am wondering if you sent it back to Epiphone, they most likely would replace it and not waste time repairing it. That is a question I would ask Epiphone just to see your options. Then again if Sam Ash is willing now to take it back now that is a plus as far as getting your money back, but may very well leave you with out a chance of getting another like it..Now one other option is to get your money back and see if Guitar Center can order you one in if you have one in your area. Epiphone would ship it to GC. You could then visually inspect it before you left the store.....

I am sorry you are going through all of this. Kind of leaves some bad feelings. Hopefully things will work out for you to be a happy camper again.

Steve

Steve,

Well when I got home the wife informed me that the box for the case must have been thrown away, so I can't ship back the case.

I LOVE the guitar and hate to give it up, so I'm going to take it by the shop that Gibson recommends. Seems like it should be an easy enough fix. Maybe I can get some fret work for the inconvenience.

I'll keep you guys informed.

Shawn

imagejpg2_zps3e37904b.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc5168064.jpg

Epiphone replied to my email and directed me to a local warranty service repair shop in Dallas. The more I think about it I'm upset that I have to find time to take it in for warranty service when I've only had it a few weeks and paid $800 for it. I probably should have noticed before but I guess it was the honeymoon period.

If you notice closely the areas between the frets are clearly not finished properly. It's only those two areas, though.

Shawn

How does it play? How does it sound? To me those are more important. Personally I wouldn't send it back for this. Not worth the trouble. The fretboards are all dyed and many on here have had issues with black dye on their fingertips from the fretboard. A new one may not be any better than this one so why risk it, especially if they are hard to come by.

Shawn, any update on your guitar. I wonder what the inlays are made out of. They had to stain the fret board after they were in. So I am thinking the stain/dye won't bleed into the inlays. If that is the case it is a pretty easy fix.

Steve

Ok, so the guitar repair shop is closed. Word is the owner got sick.

So I went by Guitar Center and talked to a guitar tech. He gave me a line of bull about polishing compounds or something so I left.

Did a little Internet research and decided I would ebonize the fretboard so I stopped at Home Depot and grabbed some stain.

When I got home and started to sand the fretboard the dust came off black so I realized it already had some sort of ebony stain on it which is why the rosewood color was showing through. Anyway here's some pics...I did the whole fretboard to make the color consistent but it was pretty close already.

7EE5E606-7FDA-4DD1-8075-4716479C08A5_zpspc9vomxu.jpg

F32F9DCA-45D0-4397-9313-5037D31B1E45_zpstgg9fkmb.jpg

E38EC03E-794C-45C0-BAEA-58E71EE25C72_zpsbwpbyscw.jpg

Archived