Gibson Brands Forums

Vox pathfinder 15 w amp

Guitar Man'66

Yep I'm playing an LP 2014 trad through a Vox 15 w pathfinder ,it sounds really good to my untrained ears...but even I know there's better amps out there even when I'm only a bedroom fiddler ...so come on guys give me some advice as to what are better amps to enhance my sound,given that I rarely venture from the bedroom type of player these days

Hmm well I recently got one of the Slash SL5 amps which has both 1w and 5w mode.. which means you can get more gain at lower levels.. amazing sound [thumbup]

Theres also still some of the Marshall 50th anniversary amps about which I was very tempted by when I was looking around (combos and heads)

I guess that as usual, my question comes before any attempt to answer: What does the OP consider "better" for an amp.

I'm absolutely certain that my "better" is different from others here. A few may say, "Yup, he's got it nailed," but others simply don't understand my amp choices any more than I "get" theirs.

Too, I'll admit at times that I'm a product of the olden days of tube-only amps and heavy, heavy equipment that nowadays I'm simply unwilling to haul and am unlikely to need regardless of venue or style of music.

I think any amp "upgrade" needs to be really well thought out.

A perfect example: I swapped my old 65 Deluxe Reverb for a more or less "boutique" 120-watt monster that one likely could use to shatter bank vaults, were one into that sort of thing. The other guys in the band had the high-power rigs so... In retrospect, that was a huge error since I never needed that much power regardless of component quality, and the DR was a perfect combination of more than enough power and overall quality sound. I could also use it as a solo "Amp/PA" and haul stuff easily.

So... What is "better" for the OP?

m

Thanks Rabs must admit id like to try a Marshal... [drool]

Actually yes Milod (as usual :)) makes a good point..

The one thing we don't know is what sort of music you want to play... Of course most good amps are capable of giving you a nice range of sounds... BUT some are simply better for certain genres than others (I think anyway).. like if you are a rocker then the Marshall/Gibson combination is a classic and great one. But maybe if you want to play more C&W type stuff then a Fender may be better etc etc...

So let us know what you want to play and we may be able to narrow it down a bit :)

But yes a good Marshall tube amp has a droolworthy rock sound.

And, here again, is the OP planning to "play out?"

I guess my thought is that if you're not playing out, a decent home practice amp is fine. In some band environments, in fact, if it's "the" sound sought, and/or works well with preferred pedals if the player uses them, it can be miked if there's a decent enough PA.

For general practice, though, IMHO about anything should do well enough. Or, to get a degree of options in general sound, something like the Fender Mustang III has batches of options and can be quite loud - but it is SS and that's enough to turn off some folks, although IMHO again, if I were getting into pedal-mania, I think I'd prefer a very clean amp with lotza overhead to let it carry the pedal-modded sound. Then again, that's just a grouchy old picker talking.

I have big, heavy tube amps still. Never use 'em. I get a lot of use from a little SS AE amp at 30 watts that has played for a 500-seat theater and a 40-watt bass amp that works nicely even for "clean" archtop playing in the same venues from little joint to a theater.

But... it's my choice because of what and how and where I play. My choices likely would not be as valuable for somebody else.

OTOH, if I had an offer to swap my old Bassman head and cab for a DR, I think I'd take the step regardless.

m

I like Blues Juniors for the money.

I've had two of them over the years.

Agree, nice amps, but the cost has gotten a bit prohibitive to me. I think I paid around 330 new, (maybe 2000?) and I got a used one (my second) for I think 220 back in I guess 2004?

now that they're dancing in the arena of 600 bucks,, hmm,, I think there's a lot of other options around for that price break to be honest.

Okay...

Let's look at this from a different angle. THE op ain't planning to "play out," and is largely blues (type unspecified) and getting into jazz.

Here's my recommendation: Consider a SS or other inexpensive amp that has a line out (Does your Vox?) - even headphone out - that can be plugged into a simple USB conversion unit, then into a computer and some inexpensive recording software such as Audacity. Then use it to record practice sessions. That can be quite enlightening and make a lot more difference in one's playing than a new amp.

For example, I use my little SS 30-watt AE amp to balance both mike and guitar - then the line out into a cable converter similar as below for recording practice sessions.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

m

Fender Vibro champ and Bronco from the late 60s through the 70s are great little amps, big tone in a small, light package, and with a very nice tremolo as well.

But to be honest, even a 6 watt tube amp is to loud for bedroom fiddling if you have neighbors that don´t like bedroom fiddling [rolleyes]

so..

Bedroom concert hall,

looking for options to enhance your sound,

probably don't want to spend a ton of money,

probably don't want to start chasing pedals around,

--- The choice should be obvious.

This has EVERY THING you will ever need.

http://www.fender.com/series/mustang/mustang-iii-v2-120v/

I have one of the V1 versions, as well as the 2x12 big brother.

(I also have three excellent tube amps - A fender Deville, Marshall JTM60 and a Gibson Goldtone 2x12 30watt class A - it's a beast)

and I can tell you these things come real close to giving those amps a run for the money.

Kidblast...

Note I made the same sorta suggestion at first - although we both know a lotta folks will holler down about a SS amp.

The only reason I don't have this amp myself is frankly that I don't really need the power or the options - and I prefer something like an AE amp that offers options of using a mike in one side and guitar in the other. In fact, that's been why I got my DR and its 120-watt replacement.

OTOH, I have a Fender Bronco 40 with all those emulations and - it's quite nice with either a bass or an archtop. And I have a nice Bassman head and cab that is a lot louder - and heavier. I got the single instrument amp this time 'cuz I figured it'd be light enough to haul easily and handle most bass opportunities I'm likely to get around here. When I found it worked nicely with the archtop... what can I say?

For strictly guitar, though, yeah, that Mustang III is a gem. It's not a tube amp that will turn some folks off - but nothing else may be as versatile with quality sound for the money. I still like the AE "thing" personally with the options it offers me personally.

m

hey M!

The AE amp seems to suit what your needs are from the previous posts where we've discussed. I've got a Fender Acoustasonic JR, does a very good job with Steel, Nylon string acos, with the jazz boxes with round wounds (ex: a broadway and a regent) it can just about nail the sound you'd be looking for with those with a little bit of tweaking.

The built in DSP are quite adequate, (not feature rich mind you) and feedback tamer works like the dickens.

I've NEVER plugged a mic into it, but the idea has crossed my mind

How easy would it be to take THAT to a coffee house gig, instead of the powered monitors, the stands, the 8 ch board, and all the other crap we use for the Duo work.

About the Mustangs and comparison to tube amps.

I'll be honest, the tube amps do have a more organic musicality to them that the Mustangs lack, but, (and this is a BIG but), the times you will notice this is only in a side by side comparison, - which I have done many times - when it's just, the guitar, the amp, a cable and you.

Given the situation of a jam, a gig, even playing along with backing tracks for just the fun of it?

It's VERY hard to distinguish the tonal characteristics the mustangs fall short on compared to a real, live, lit up, tube amp. you would have to be one of the most persnickety, picky, hard to make happy, guys around. I've got (what I think) is a very good ear, and once the "Stuff starts happening" when playing with others (think full band) the differences are a wash.

The people who have mentioned they can't get good sounds out of them, or have just written them off as gimmickry, have not spent the time learning how to set them up, and tailor to their own personal tastes. The factory presets are mostly horrendous. These are NOT your fathers Fenders, you need to spend some time and get your self out of the weeds with those factory settings, the interface is drop dead easy on the III, IV, and V models. You just have to invest some time.

We did a benefit a few weeks ago, I took the Mustang IV,, It covered the gig, and it was a snap to set up, and tear down. (yay!)

There was a player in the audience, he asked me, "how did you get a Deville to sound like THAT?" (it does look a bit like a Hot Rod Deville)

When I mentioned it was a 2x12 Mustang, he was surprised.

Bottom line here, to me anyway, the portability, sonic capabilities and options on these mustangs, rival anything out there, (VOX, Line 6, Peavey etc) -- I've had almost all of the products from those guys,, the Stangs, murder them.

For the "Bedroom" player? this amp was partially MADE with that market in mind.

I think you hit it well on the Mustangs.

And... the point I keep making that it's the music, not a small percentage of player-heard "tone" regardless.

That's true IMHO whether we're talking guitars, amps, whatever.

I remember one gal who did an acoustic solo gig at the area's "cowboy poetry and music" gathering. A ranch wife and mom with a gorgeous smile, a memorably beautiful face and an even more beautiful voice - and hands that showed she's also a real ranch partner at tossing hay bales and whatever else needs doing. She's obviously a hand, and that's more than I might lay claim to on a horseback-working ranch.

She was steady with her inexpensive "Jasmine" guitar and fretted things at the right times and places for strumming. She was a major "hit" of unknowns that day and I'll wager not one person even thought about her guitar's "tone."

The thing with musical performance is that folks are listening to music, not the perceived bells and whistles "we" consider so vital that we often ignore what folks actually hear.

m

The thing with musical performance is that folks are listening to music, not the perceived bells and whistles "we" consider so vital that we often ignore what folks actually hear.

m

indeed Milod, sometimes half the battle is getting them to just "listen", the only guys who check out the gear,.. guys like us...

I like my LP thru Marshall but I also like it thru my Fender Princeton.

[thumbup] A Fender Princeton (reverb or not) is hard to beat. It's a real all-tube workhorse and quite versatile. This past year I have gigged with nothing else, but they make a fine home amp as well. 12 watts can be loud at home, but if you use pedals or attenuate it (my own choice) it is perfect. They can be a bit pricey, however - $600-$1200 most likely depending on year and condition.

If you're in the $1200 range, I recommend going up a few hundred and look at these for just shy of $1500:

VSA 15

It's a handmade Princeton using all top notch components, for $300 more than a mass produced one. I've got one of his Classic 22 amps, basically a Deluxe Reverb in a furniture grade cabinet. Couldn't be happier with it.

If you're just looking for different 'good' (the Pathfinder isn't a bad little amp) and not a lot of money, I can recommend an Orange Crush pix35dlx. Great little solid state amp sounds great with my LP.

Thr next logical step up from the Pathfinder 15 R would be an AC-15,they are incredible amps and have a tremendous tonal range.You didn't give a price point that you'd be comfortable with so I'm suggesting gear of varying prices.If money is not plentiful,a really good way to get tremendous tone from your existing amp,is to invest in a BBE Sonic Stomp,Sonic Enhancer.These pedals are simply unbelievable in that they greatly enhance even your most deadly tones.I got my buddy to set up my Les Paul and AC-15 so that he got the best tone that he could from it,he did so and really was pleased with the sound,I then engaged the Sonic Stomp and he was floored by the way that it made a great tone just plain magnificent.I paid just a shade ovcer $100

for my Sonic Stomp.

Another great amp is the Fender Blues Jr.,they are just little tone monsters and if you opt for the Celestion Vintage 30 over the standard Eminence speaker,the amp will even perform much better.The Blues Jr. is right at home with everything from country,classic rock,hard rock and basically everything but metal and that's without using pedals.The Traynor Guitar Mate Reissue is also a beauty of an amp in that it too is quite versatile with whatever type of music you wish to play through it.All of Traynor's smaller tube amps are great and they are built as solid as battleships.

You should also look into the great hybrid amps from Vox,Marshall and Fender.The Vox Valvetronix series is just about the most tubelike sounding and performing of all the hybrid amps that I've tried-I have bought 3 of them so far with no regrets.The 40W VT-20 is very low priced for the features that it has but it sounds as good as or better than amps costing much more.The amp has just about every effect that you could ever want plus it has 44 amp models too.The modulation effects such as phase,flanging and rotating speaker (Leslie) are almost too good to be true as are the reverb/delay effects. The Marshall Trans Tube hybrids aren't quite as advanced and versatile as the Vox models,but then again even though they are hybrid,they give you that unmistakeable Marshall roar.The Fender Mustang range of amps is also a great choice because they allow you to play along with your downloaded jam tracks etc. and they also offer the player a seemingly endless list of functions and features that the amps are capable of.Anyway that's a few of the better amps that are available ranging from just over $100 to about $1000.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived