Gibson Brands Forums

Lee Malia "Artisan" Les Paul

Pin

With apologies to Rabs who started the thread in the Gibson Lounge I considered that there should be a thread referencing that thread and topic on here where perhaps it belongs the most:

Here's the thread:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/114804-the-epiphone-lp-that-may-as-well-be-a-gibson/

Now do I need another Les Paul? No, not really but I must admit that I greatly fancy a Lee Malia Artisan.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI what I found out is --- Japan and Europe have known about this guitar for a while and per a Gibson sales rep (that my local G.C. talked to) stated those areas have placed MULTIPLE pre-realease orders! The Gibson rep stated this guitar is a limited production run item and sold on a FIRST come/first order basis - all pre-release orders from Japan and Europe will be filled before any are released to the USA. I ordered one and pre paid it in full and was told delivery around the end of the year " if any are available". If ya want one you better go for it NOW. The sales rep also stated advance orders from the USA were super LOW _ I wonder why ------Eddy

GC here in Minnesota doesn't have a clue as to what this guitar even was until I showed them on the Epiphone site. I asked if I could pre-order and they said until they have it on their site it could not be done.... I called Gibson/Epiphone and they said it may be here late December and most likely January or later. Even they are not sure if/when it will ever be in the states. I also called the GC in Merrita Ga and they acted like I was nuts. The whole thing seams to be a great mystery.

It sure is a nice looking guitar though and would like to have one.

GC here in Minnesota doesn't have a clue as to what this guitar even was until I showed them on the Epiphone site. I asked if I could pre-order and they said until they have it on their site it could not be done.... I called Gibson/Epiphone and they said it may be here late December and most likely January or later. Even they are not sure if/when it will ever be in the states. I also called the GC in Merrita Ga and they acted like I was nuts. The whole thing seams to be a great mystery.

It sure is a nice looking guitar though and would like to have one.

Try calling G.C. in Marietta again and ask for "POZZ" he is who I dealt with in placing my pre-order. Pozz turned it over to his manager to finish the order - he wanted a deposit- I pre paid it in full ( my decision) and put it om my G.C card which is intrest free for that amount of $$ for 1 year - hope ya get one = eddy

That was not who I talked to but I will call back and ask for him. Thanks for the info. In the mean time the guy here at GC said he is going to be checking tomorrow. It is so frustrating when they all act like you are nuts for asking. You would think they would be glad someone wants to spend money at their store.

I have to say that after seeing them I really want one. Not too many guitar's impress me these days, but that on really does it for me. I just bought a new Epiphone Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 from GC and it is a gorgeous guitar. I sure like the configuration of the pickups on that Lee Malia model. Very Cool indeed.................

Steve

That was not who I talked to but I will call back and ask for him. Thanks for the info. In the mean time the guy here at GC said he is going to be checking tomorrow. It is so frustrating when they all act like you are nuts for asking. You would think they would be glad someone wants to spend money at their store.

I have to say that after seeing them I really want one. Not too many guitar's impress me these days, but that on really does it for me. I just bought a new Epiphone Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 from GC and it is a gorgeous guitar. I sure like the configuration of the pickups on that Lee Malia model. Very Cool indeed.................

Steve

Well tell "the POZZ" I sent ya to him-- I need BROWNEY POINTS [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] he will definately know what you are looking for -- he's top notch on customer service IMO

I call today and talked with Pozz. He was very nice but suggested I work with the GC here where I live. He said I could have them call him and he would let them know how he did it. Basically he said he has to get the guitar in for the store first and then who has paid gets the guitar. But all is still somewhat of a mystery when they will arrive. But he is sure they will because Epiphone is advertising them on their site..

• 2 weeks later...

Big question guys??? Given the specs on this guitar what do you think of it? I don't really care for Lee Malia music but Epiphone to me is putting out a very nice guitar for the money. I know it would be hard to compare with the Gibson Les Pauls but lets try. Supposedly they are using USA Gibson electronics. How much difference could there be in the woods?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

How much difference could there be in the woods?

Steve

It is a good question and there will be many answers.

I will make two observations:

1) I have an Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute guitar (long tenon and Gibson Classic pickups). It is a superb guitar. I think its tone (played through my Mesa) is as good if not even better than my Gibson 1978 25 / 50 which is solid Honduras mahogany, maple cap and maple neck with ebony fingerboard. I am not quite sure why this is so - personally I think the Gibson Classic pickups of the Epiphone are what makes for the great sound.

2) I have both Epiphone and Gibson ES345 semi-acoustics. The Epiphone has been radically modified with every bit of hardware (except the Bigsby) and bridge posts and Varitone unit changed. It has Seymour Duncan pickups. The Gibson is a 1959 Reissue with Memphis (unpotted) Historic Series pickups. Played acoustically the Gibson is "alive" compared to the Epiphone - the tone is superb. Plug both in and although the sound dynamic changes the Gibson remains head and shoulders above the Epiphone in terms of tone and responsiveness. Now part of this is the pickups but my view is that the greater part is wholly down to the quality of the laminate used in the body construction of the respective guitars.

Pozz also sent me a note. The Gibson rep contacted him and stated 8 weeks min. The rep also stated they had to do a quality control inspection on the units coming to the distribution center. I would have thought they would have inspected them before leaving China. That is a good thing they do it again after arriving here if they actually do it.....I contacted the store where I ordered mine from, and Epiphone has told them roughly the same info give or take a week. So it is looking like mid December. Still not holding my breath though.......

I will add one thing about Epiphone customer service answering questions about this guitar. The times I have contacted them about this guitar the customer service person on the line is usually rude. They usually imply that consumers don't understand all that goes on with releasing a guitar. Well no joke I told the last guy. That is why I am calling. I told him every time I call it is a different answer. I know and understand that they can only give you info that they have in front of them from memos, but they don't have to be rude about it. Just venting a little.....

Archived