Gibson Brands Forums

Walter Trout

Jimi Mac

At the risk of simply passing-along/rehashing old news, I felt I wanted to share this...

I must confess due to my own wish not to deal with issues of sadness and tragedy I hadn't kept-up with Walter Trout and his liver disease predicament...

Actually I must confess I thought someone had said he got cancer and was dying, but it appears it was never cancer but potentially, much like Gregg Allman, self-induced liver damage. But I'm not here to preach about that, no need...

Then I was cruising Youtube and saw a video from last year and he looked to be on death's doorstep so I finally did the research because in my own ignorance I honestly didn't know if he had passed-away or not...

THE GOOD NEWS: It turns out he had a liver transplant earlier this year and appears to be enroute to a full recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9U8pCcF-Sc

Not really having followed his career all that closely, I just know from what I've seen that he's a phenom on a guitar and the world could use fellas that play like him. I'm tired of seeing great players drop like flies for whatever reason and I'm glad he appears to be on the road to having a 2nd chance at life and a continuing music career!

It looks like his kid is playing with him these days!

http://www.waltertrout.com/news-2014

It's good to pass along some good news every once in a while...

At the risk of simply passing-along/rehashing old news, I felt I wanted to share this...

I must confess due to my own wish not to deal with issues of sadness and tragedy I hadn't kept-up with Walter Trout and his liver disease predicament...

Actually I must confess I thought someone had said he got cancer and was dying, but it appears it was never cancer but potentially, much like Gregg Allman, self-induced liver damage. But I'm not here to preach about that, no need...

Then I was cruising Youtube and saw a video from last year and he looked to be on death's doorstep so I finally did the research because in my own ignorance I honestly didn't know if he had passed-away or not...

THE GOOD NEWS: It turns out he had a liver transplant earlier this year and appears to be enroute to a full recovery.

Not really having followed his career all that closely, I just know from what I've seen that he's a phenom on a guitar and the world could use fellas that play like him. I'm tired of seeing great players drop like flies for whatever reason and I'm glad he appears to be on the road to having a 2nd chance at life and a continuing music career!

It looks like his kid is playing with him these days!

http://www.waltertrout.com/news-2014

It's good to pass along some good news every once in a while...

I have to admit my ignorance about Walter Trout. Since starting to learn the guitar at an advanced age, in retirement, my interest in music has moved from rock to blues. And yet I had never heard of Walter Trout until our local blues society announced news about his coming to here Omaha for his transplant. And his medical issue was NOT self-induced. Walter has been sober, as I understand it, for over 25 years.

I am volunteering for a Blues Society of Omaha Tribute Concert later this month. And, yes, his son is going to be playing at it. I don't know if Walter is still in town and, if so, if he will show up at the concert. But it would sure be great to meet him.

Now, I have his music streaming in our house just about non-stop. But it is a shame that I had to find about him this way.

And you're correct; It's good to pass along some good news for a change!

I have to admit my ignorance about Walter Trout. Since starting to learn the guitar at an advanced age, in retirement, my interest in music has moved from rock to blues. And yet I had never heard of Walter Trout until our local blues society announced news about his coming to here Omaha for his transplant. And his medical issue was NOT self-induced. Walter has been sober, as I understand it, for over 25 years.

I am volunteering for a Blues Society of Omaha Tribute Concert later this month. And, yes, his son is going to be playing at it. I don't know if Walter is still in town and, if so, if he will show up at the concert. But it would sure be great to meet him.

Now, I have his music streaming in our house just about non-stop. But it is a shame that I had to find about him this way.

And you're correct; It's good to pass along some good news for a change!

I will openly confess to my own ignorance on the matter, as I stated. I made the supposition based upon his own words at one of his shows on a Youtube vid where he poked-fun at his situation and I guess that made me assume...

I suppose I should know better, but it seemed logical. But if he has been sober for 25 years before this, then good on him!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97f98Ri7O8

It is hard to watch him looking that near death, especially when this is how I knew Walter Trout to appear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2-I6WFgK-U

But again all evidence points to a full recovery and despite the circumstances, whatever the specifics, I am glad he's gotten a 2nd chance.

Even more-so if he was sober 25 years before-hand!

On a side note, that last vid is quite a storied/famous stage in Amsterdam:

http://youtu.be/Sj-EmiKQ4ak

Some of the greatest shows ever have been played there!

I did a few shows with John Mayall over the years and Walter was in his band on one of them. I remember being blown away by his skill. The next show I did with Mayall, Walter was not in the band. I was unsure of his name and I remember asking Mayall "what happened the that guitar player Gary Fish that was with you last time ? "He looked at me like I was nuts and said "do you mean Walter Trout?". I said , yeah, that's what I said…Glad Mr. Fish is feeling better.

I will openly confess to my own ignorance on the matter, as I stated. I made the supposition based upon his own words at one of his shows on a Youtube vid where he poked-fun at his situation and I guess that made me assume...

You made an assumption that a blues guitarist abused his liver? That was really a stretch, wasn't it??? [glare][woot][confused]

You made an assumption that a blues guitarist abused his liver? That was really a stretch, wasn't it??? [glare][woot][confused]

That's kinda what I thought...

But I really should know better! I myself am an exception to the rule...

I've gone nearly 47 years on this planet without ever even trying 1 drag or hit off a joint, pipe, or bong and have never done any illicit drugs of any kind in my life... Been drug-free for the whole show!

Most people wouldn't believe that knowing the era I grew up in. I've seen more Cocaine that would fill a dump truck having hit my teens in the 1980's, but I've somehow remained anti-drug and drug free for my whole life...

I should believe that I'm not the only one out there, but sometimes it's tough...

I probably drank more beer than I ever should have back in and before my twenties, but fortunately I never became an alcoholic and never went down the path of so many people I saw around me of my generation...

Fortunately for me I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and remain young-at-heart and thankfully healthy enough for lack of such self-abuse to live-on that way...

Archived