Gibson Brands Forums

Hum on ES-335

smurph1

hi just bought a plaintop sunburst ES-335 and I'm noticing a bit of hum from it that goes away when I touch the strings, or any metal part.. It's kind of like what happens on my Strat.. It's not really loud, but is it something I should be concerned about? Thanks Scott

If its got humbuckers, yes. Sounds like a bad ground. How loud is it? If you playing clean and it is loud then it probably a bad ground. If you are playing with mega gain and it hums I would not be worried.

I was playing it clean..and Yes it has 57 Classic Humbuckers!!I bought it from Sweetwater.. I hate to send it back, it's a great guitar with an awesome neck.. But we don't have any authorized Gibson techs around here.. Dammit!! How is it possible that a $2700 guitar has bad wiring? It's frustrating!!

Make sure that your amplifier is properly grounded also. Some of the older amps actually had a toggle switch for the ground, most newer amps just have the three pronged plug.

Could be the receptacle that your amp is plugged into isn't properly grounded either. I would take the amp and guitar in different rooms of the house, and try it, or to a friends house too. Sometimes fluorescent lights will effect the grounding too.

From my experience may not be the guitar, worth checking before you decide to send the guitar back.

Make sure that your amplifier is properly grounded also. Some of the older amps actually had a toggle switch for the ground, most newer amps just have the three pronged plug.

Could be the receptacle that your amp is plugged into isn't properly grounded either. I would take the amp and guitar in different rooms of the house, and try it, or to a friends house too. Sometimes fluorescent lights will effect the grounding too.

From my experience may not be the guitar, worth checking before you decide to send the guitar back.

Agree completely. Environmental factors cause this on definitely all of my guitars and basses except for those two of my basses with retrofitted passive Hi-Z (sic!) EMG humbuckers.

This kind of thing drove me nuts! But, it wasn't my guitar(s)! It was the

wiring, in my 100 year old house! It still has the 2 prong outlets, without

the "ground" third plug hole. So, anything that's "on," at the same time,

will effect the ground noise level, through my guitar/amp! Fans, DVD player,

or TV, whatever! I took my guitars, and amps, to my dealer, and repair tech,

and they were quiet as they should be, up there! So...???

CB

I have a light fixture using standard bulbs that's connected to a round wall mounted adjustable intensity switch. That switch is a amp-buzz inducing monster! Took me awhile to figure out the source, but it can definitely be something as simple as that.

Archived