Gibson Brands Forums

Touching up a nick on the back of the head stock

Just got my 1st Les Paul (2013 White LPJ). A couple of things I would like to get responses from the other viewers. I purchased a gloss black pick guard. Debating on putting it on. Not really keen on adding more holes. Anyone have any luck with no drilling pick guards (bobby lee). And the second question. It was a demo model from a certain on line guitar site. It has a small ding in the back of the head stock. I can live with it. However, there seems to be a sheen where the previous owner touched it up with paint and there is a color difference and slight sheen to the surface that doesn't match the rest of the finish. Can I tape up the guitar and spray a coat of nitro on the back of the neck to match it up and then lightly sand it? I know I'm being picky. But it's my first Les Paul. Could be worse. Could be right on the front. I plan on sanding the entire guitar down one day and doing a light stain on the front and a dark stain on sides, neck and back. I really love the way the Tom Scholz signature Les Paul looks. A plain maple top with a nitro finish.

By the way. This is one heavy guitar. I'm used to my SG's. I picked up a 2014 LPG and it wasn't nearly as heavy.

You plan to strip it but are concerned about a small chip on the back of the neck? [confused]

I didn't say I was going to strip it right now. Possibly a year or two. If you don't want to offer advice then don't bother replying.

I didn't say I was going to strip it right now. Possibly a year or two. If you don't want to offer advice then don't bother replying.

My advice is to leave it alone as a chip is insignificant compared to stripping the whole finish off.

It's like a new car or a brand new pair of shoes. The first scratch is the worst. I've already gotten used to it. Took it to my local Luthier and had it intonated and the action set nice and low. Now it's mine.

My advice is to leave it alone as a chip is insignificant compared to stripping the whole finish off.

I am. It would be a pain to try to get down past all the white on the back side of that mahogany body. It plays great and I'm a cappy hamper.

Archived