Gibson Brands Forums

Vertex Effects scandal...

Ryan H

A friend of mine linked me to a topic on TGP that's quite concerning.

A TGPer purchased a Vertex Axis wah, then started to hear rumors about it being a copy of the BBE Ben Wah...so he opened it up.

Gooped. He carefully degooped the pedal and compared it to a BBE Ben Wah...and found that they were identical. Vertex is buying Ben Wah's, gooping them and rebranding them, and charging $200 more...oh, and they're claiming the pedals are made in California, with boutique components and custom-wound inductors...they're MIC.

Just thought some of you may want to know, so you don't unknowingly support such a shady company...

-Ryan

If this turns out to be true - I hope that BBE takes him to the cleaners. [cursing]

Well, on the original thread on TGP, the owner of Vertex changed his story 3 times, and then his lawyer started sending C&D letters to TGP members for libel...I'd say that's pretty shady...

-Ryan

Well, on the original thread on TGP, the owner of Vertex changed his story 3 times, and then his lawyer started sending C&D letters to TGP members for libel...I'd say that's pretty shady...

-Ryan

Me too.

Admittedly there are only so many adjustments one can make to the classic wah circuit, so they are all somewhat similar. But in this case they actually purchased the units from BBE and then re-labeled them, right?

I wonder if they started out clean but decided this would be easier or if it was a re-labeling job from the start. Guess we will never know, but preying on innocent customers like that is flat out wrong.

And no one could hear the difference. Imagine that. :)

Well that is a valid point - the "boutique" industry is clearly out of control and the buyers are in some senses asking for it, not buying with their ears, but still...

Let's say someone sends a pedal of mine back because they want more treble or gain. Should I simply ship it back to them without changing anything, knowing that I might get away with it? I couldn't do that. Could you?

Obviously caveat emptor applies, but if this turns out to be true, then it would be like you buying pickups from GFS and calling them Searcys and saying they were individually wound in Tennessee. [biggrin]

Looking at the BBE Ben it looks like a great wah for the price, the Vertex is $350? Yikes, who pays that much for a wah?

What I noticed is that the PCB on the BBE Ben has big letters saying just what it is, I guess that part is gooped up?

Looking at the BBE Ben it looks like a great wah for the price, the Vertex is $350? Yikes, who pays that much for a wah?

What I noticed is that the PCB on the BBE Ben has big letters saying just what it is, I guess that part is gooped up?

Yeah..in the thread he posted pics of the guts of a BBE Ben and his de-gooped Vertex. The de-gooping process left the board really messy...but you can definitely see that every part, every piece of wire, everything is identical...even the battery.

-Ryan

Obviously caveat emptor applies, but if this turns out to be true, then it would be like you buying pickups from GFS and calling them Searcys and saying they were individually wound in Tennessee. [biggrin]

Ohhh I didn't mean to sound like I was defending the Vertex guys. I'm more just laughing at the guys who buy boutique gear because it's boutique. Not unlike the guys who buy vintage because it's vintage.

You know what I always say...

One way or another, this grouchy old man figures it comes back to "play the guitar straight and think about whether folks can hear what you're playing 'stedda a bunch of mud, then mess with controls on the guitar and amp, then think about possibly adding something.

Wah and volume pedals... a lesser concern IMHO in a lotta ways, but more than $100 for either seems a bit extreme.

OTOH, I think a lotta stomp boxes had best have at least a well-made shell, 'cuz pickers can stomp as hard or harder than they think at times. That's likely 80 percent of the price tag of a wah or volume pedal, too.

m

Due process? What if they (Vertex) are innocent? What if the guy on TGP had an axe to grind?

Tried and convicted on hearsay? Tough crowd.

Supposedly someone else contacted BBE and Mason (owner of Vertex) is a "dealer" of their products, and has been doing this behind their backs...

BBE also said that if your Vertex Axis ever breaks, send it to them instead of Vertex and they'll repair it...

-Ryan

Supposedly someone else contacted BBE and Mason (owner of Vertex) is a "dealer" of their products, and has been doing this behind their backs...

BBE also said that if your Vertex Axis ever breaks, send it to them instead of Vertex and they'll repair it...

-Ryan

They may very well be guilty. I agree looks damning. I'm only pointing out that there are many times that the accused are innocent. Sounds like due process may and should occur.

Idiots, that's who. I only pay that much for nearly-done batteries that give me the creamy EJ sag. For threefitty I can usually get a dozen.

rct

Idiots, that's who. I only pay that much for nearly-done batteries that give me the creamy EJ sag. For threefitty I can usually get a dozen.

rct

And if you're lucky they'll throw in an elastic band so you can do away with those tone-sucking screws.

-Ryan

evidently everyone that bought one "heard" the difference..........

This is true, to an extent! Even I've experienced this, for a time.

But, what happens (IMHO) is that we get "used to," a particular tone,

or sound, from pedals (especially), and then they start sounding like

everything else. I recently experienced this, going BACK to a Boss

pedal, after using a more "botique" brand/version. Suddenly the old

(what some call "ordinary") Boss pedal, sounded awesome! But, it was

really just that it sounded "fresh" from what I had gotten used to.

BOTH pedals, sound great, really. But, I was convinced the "boutique"

pedal (had to) sound better! LOL I'll keep both, though, if for no

other reason, than to switch back and forth, between the 2 when I start

to get used to (bored with) one or the other. [biggrin]

As the old saying goes..."Familiarity breeds contempt!"

And yes, unethical behavior seems "rampant," anymore! Sad!! And, infuriating

as well. [cursing]

CB

Archived