Gibson Brands Forums

Newby Question

norton

Hi everyone!

I purchased a Studio about nine months ago from Guitar Center.

On the back of the headstock is says made in USA and has a serial number of 121811491,

Does this mean that is was made on Dec 18 of 2011 and that the pickups are called 491?

Can someone educate me on what exactly defines what a Studio is?

I am new to this and cannot figure the reason that the lower cost of the Studio versus the Standard, etc, ?

It appears to be every bit as well made and has excellent quality pickups, right?

So how then is it different and so deserves to be lower priced, the finish on the wood maybe?

regardless, I love it and it sounds great to me!

John

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

August 6th, 2011

Production Number: 191

The pickups are not specified in the serial number. They could be 490R/498T or Burstbucker Pros to my knowledge. In case it's a Guitar Center exclusive, specifications may differ from other models.

As Cap posted. Here's the decode - for the most part, if it's an 8 digit number the forumla is - YDDDYRRR; if it's 9 digit number the formula is YDDDYBRRR (9 numbers started July 2005). There are exceptions you can look here - http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search.aspx

YDDDYBRRR

YY=11

DDD=218 the 218th day of 2011 or August 6th, 2011

B=1 batch number - The batch number starts at 0 the beginning of the day and once 699 is reached, the batch number changes to 1.

RRR=491 production rank

Archived