Gibson Brands Forums

New (free) Guitar Day

Riffster

I have never been a fan of Teles, at least not the standard model but I always had a thing for the thinline/custom/deluxes.

So after having a very minor issue with my bank for a couple of months they sent me $250 on GC gift cards, then James (darling67) sent me a $20 off coupon and there you have it...free guitar.

I have not plugged in yet but this thing sounds very lively unplugged. Neck is very nice.

8ACF8543-4C20-45B3-981E-52F726F0FB7D_zpsj2ibr71t.jpg

The tummy cut rules

CA9800D4-309E-4A05-9772-A64C007336A6_zpsgrtfkktf.jpg

So does the large stratocaster headstock with vintage tuners

BDCFE0C2-F196-4198-A50A-0DFDA21BE32C_zpsqv9p6krx.jpg

EF5F0B37-367F-4704-96AC-8E84DFAAC56E_zpsxpw34f4g.jpg

7143519A-3843-499B-ADB4-BF34A3887475_zpsuviix4es.jpg

Congrats, Riffster, HNFGD! [biggrin][thumbup]

Looks nice, and also has the belly scarf adopted from the Stratocasters, not just the headstock. Please post in the near future about the tone blown out by the humbuckers. I'm curious about that. :rolleyes:

This Vintage Modified Squier line has really nice finishings like glossy necks, nicer decals, 3-ply guards, etc

The wide range humbuckers are branded Fender but while they have the correct size they do not have the magnet screw poles.

There was a used Squier Jazzmaster for $200 and it was nice, super nice neck on it.

I've heard of those pickups and I know just how much they cost, I am also not sure that I would even be a fan of the real deal.

I played my Squier and the pickups are ok, they are not bad but not inspiring. They do sound good clean and have a very unique sound when using overdrive. They sound fine with fuzz and wah so they are keepers. I am pretty sure they have ceramic magnets.

Yeah I bet the stock pickups are pretty cool. My brother has a Squier Tele and it's pretty awesome. The neck feels good and it stays in tune. The electronics are pretty so so, but it has a pretty good sound. The quality of the finish and materials just doesn't feel as good as my fender but it costs way less and I kinda dig the cheap vibe

Yours is kinda more interesting though. The Gibson style 3 way plus individual vol and tone for each pickup alone makes it more fun

Nice score!!!

I wonder if those are the same pickups that come on the Starcaster...

They are not, this is a nicer Squier line.

A quick internet search shows that the pickups are made in Korea by a company that makes different pickups for different guitar companies, they are regular humbcukers with ceramic magnets encased in a wide range Fender-branded casing for looks.

The pickups are OK, not bad, after adjusting the height they do sound better. I will also play with the pole height.

They will stay in for now but I just may change the magnets for alnico and see if they warm up a little bit.

Nice guitar!

In the very early 80's I still had both of my Tele Customs, the kind Richards uses. They had that humbucker up front. It was my first encounter with a new company called Seymour Duncan, I talked to Seymours brother over in Vineland NJ about getting a pair of these humbuckers for my two guitars, they were rather muddy at the volumes we played at. No Dice was the answer. Today there are prolly a few replacements for them.

rct

I've heard of those pickups and I know just how much they cost, I am also not sure that I would even be a fan of the real deal.

I played my Squier and the pickups are ok, they are not bad but not inspiring. They do sound good clean and have a very unique sound when using overdrive. They sound fine with fuzz and wah so they are keepers. I am pretty sure they have ceramic magnets.

They would be bar magnets with pole pieces then. Many MIM Fender Stratocasters come with SCs featuring two ceramic bars and six pole pieces, built to the image of the mid-1980's Ibanez Super 7 SC PUs. To my knowledge there are no ceramic rod magnets, at least not in mass production.

I appreciate it but it would probably cost more to shop them internationally than the magnets are worth.

The one thing I would love on this guitar is a brown tortoise shell guard...and white knobs and switch tip.

I appreciate it but it would probably cost more to shop them internationally than the magnets are worth.

The one thing I would love on this guitar is a brown tortoise shell guard...and white knobs and switch tip.

Like these ones?

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_tele_deluxe_pickguard_te-2605.html

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/features/vintage-parts/pure-vintage-1965-jazzmaster-witch-hat-knobs-set-of-2-vintage-white/

and 2nd row, 2nd column from top left of these here:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/switchtips_genfentele.htm

I'd say that "free is good," but even more important, does the instrument play well. If it does, one might think of messing with pups, etc. - and if not, why bother.

The only pups I've had on an electric that I was really disappointed with were the HBs on a Washburn brand semihollow ES335 type. Not even in the same class as anything on a similarly-priced Epi. It ain't always dollars that makes the difference.

Anyway... Best of luck whatever you do with the guitar. A lot of "difference" in any instrument is how you play it. If it's a good fit, you're a lucky picker.

m

Archived