Gibson Brands Forums

2 Pickup Nighthawk

tabeck5

When about the Nancy Wilson Nighthawk, modding it with one or two push/pull pot(s) and a three-way blade switch instead of regular pots and five-way switch would allow for using both pickups humbucking. It would still provide coil-split settings through using two switches, or separate coil-splits with two push/pull pots and using two or three switches.

I guess Nancy Wilson dropped the separate split and both humbucking options for simplicity and ease of use for her applications.

The Nancy Wilson is exactly the one I have, which IMHO is a very under-rated guitar, got it for less than 1K new(I think there are some others still out there for what is essentially a fire sale price) I figured what the hell it's a Gibson, how bad can it be. The only 2 things I didn't like were the truss rod cover, which I replaced, and the fact it didn't ship stock with both HB's available. So I am going to either put a push/pull in to add in one of the HB's or simply drop position 1 or 4 (Bridge Single or Neck Single). The middle position (Single Bridge and Single Neck) on this guitar alone was worth the price of admission.

Looking for a definitive answer to how the five way switch works on the N.W. Standard. On the older two pick up models, positions 1 & 5 were said to be split coil positions, while 2 & 4 were full buckler positions. In playing my new N.W. Standard, it seems as if the opposite is true.1 & 5 being full Bucker. I'm I right or just can't tell the difference between split and full Bucker sounds?

Thanks in advance for the info.

1 s coil of the bridge HB , 2 bridge HB, 3 north coil of the bridge with the s coil of the neck, 4 s coil of the neck, 5 neck HB. I wish they added a push pull to add in both HBs that is one of my favorite positions on my LP

1 s coil of the bridge HB , 2 bridge HB, 3 north coil of the bridge with the s coil of the neck, 4 s coil of the neck, 5 neck HB. I wish they added a push pull to add in both HBs that is one of my favorite positions on my LP

Thanks man!!!! A little confusing, since it doesn't seem as if they ever standardized any of the positions for the various models. BUT you are right, a push/pull for both buckers would be handy!

I also have the NW Nighthawk, love everything about it except for the truss rod cover and the lack of both HB's, not annoying enough to modify it . . . yet, I know a lot of folks turn their noses up at the Hawk but it is one of the most under rated guitars I think in the Gibson lineup, the craftsmanship on mine is superb and the tone is great, my Fender Princeton loves this guitar

Your right about the NH being WAY under rated. I have seen it go so far as loathing from Les Paul players, but most of them most likely never played one OR couldn't get along with the scale length. In either case, mine seems to sing real good through my Samamp VAC 23. Kind of a old Fender tweed/ Marshall blues ( depending on which pull pot you have enabled). I'll most likely hang on to the NH for a while. I DID change out that "Fanatic" truss rod cover for a blank one also. Other than being able to play the two HB's together, I'll most likely leave it alone.

Enjoy yours, I will mine!

I was looking at the epiphone version for quite a while, I never actually sat down with one and with the positive reviews I figured I could drop some Duncan's in it and get a pretty good sounding guitar for less than $500, then they dropped the price to less than $1k, I figured how bad could it be with Gibson on the headstock and I gambled on it. Given some of the negative comments on the workmanship I have read on the forums I went over ever inch, not a single flaw I could find, the binding was actually better than my 2013 LP and the flame was well above average. I've never owned a guitar with a mini HB so it did take a little bit of tweaking to get what I wanted out of that but when I did the tone was outstanding. I've heard many others say this is like a strat tele, etc, but I disagree. I would say it is more tele than strat, you can get some tele like tones, but there is no mistaking that this guitar is a Gibson, I can't find the specs for the pickups on this, but sometimes I get like TV Jones type pop out of mine, This is one guitar that I will not part with. Kind of Gibson's best kept secret IMHO, oh and I just saw that most online retailers have jacked the price up again to $1600.

I can't help with the 2 P/U question...

But felt moved to share enthusiasm for the 3 P/U N-H

IMO a truly great guitar with superb ergonomics and tone pallet... [thumbup]

I'm a H/B, Strat/Tele and Firebird geek... :blink:

And I get them all from this lil' beauty... [thumbup]

The quality and finish are top notch too...

V

:-({|=

• 1 year later...

Anyone with a 2 pickup nighthawk wire up to get both HB's? Wondering what the easiest way to do this is or even if they thought it was worth it.

I don't know if you're still interested in this topic, but I have a Nancy Wilson Nighthawk with the switch wired the same as yours, and also missed the 2 humbuckers in parallel. Since my least favourite setting was the neck humbucker, I used that position for the 2 in parallel. It's a very simple modification. All I did was put a short jumper across the switch so that when the neck humbucker was selected, the bridge humbucker was connected in parallel.

I think it's a great sound, and my favourite of all the positions now. I definitely think it was worth it. If you also wanted to keep the neck humbucker alone, you could just use a switch to make or break the jumper.

In the picture, the jumper is the short curved black wire. You could try it using a wire with alligator clips before soldering to see if you like it.

NH-mod.jpg?dl=1

• 10 months later...

Archived