Gibson Brands Forums

Capoing Issues On Asymmetrical Neck...

capmaster

My one and only capo is a Shubb C-1 due to its nice performance and convenient handling. Mounting to and proper adjustment for any guitar and fret take me ten to fifteen seconds, and I always do it using both hands since I am very careful with my guitars. It serves me well on all of my electric guitar fretboards from 9.5" to 14", and necks from late 50's to the super-slim early 60's SG and Explorer shapes.

Apparently not so on an asymmetrical 60's neck. Today ill luck wanted me trying a song on my SG Supra I usually play on a piezo-retrofitted Fender Floyd Rose Strat. This song requires a capo at the 1st fret since I use harmonics calling for it. I tried to get it right for a few minutes and finally thought that it just wouldn't work. <_< Then I checked at 2nd and 3rd fret and found the problems to be the same. The neck shape didn't seem to allow for proper performance of a Shubb C-1. [crying]

Then in an instant I decided mounting it UPSIDE DOWN, AND IT WORKED just as fine as on any other neck. :) [thumbup] OK, I will have to be more careful with my fretting hand, but this is not the very problem I guess.

Don't know how to translate it well but will try: In my teenage years we would have called this Trick 17 mit Selbstüberlistung, meaning "trick 17 with self-outsmarting" [biggrin]

Good to know - thanks! I use a capo many times in each of my band's sets. I have found the Shubb to be superior to everything else and have had no problems with it pulling strings sharp - unless I try to bend strings much.

Good to know - thanks! I use a capo many times in each of my band's sets. I have found the Shubb to be superior to everything else and have had no problems with it pulling strings sharp - unless I try to bend strings much.

Same here. Sometimes I have to pull up the whammy bar very slightly on Floyd Rose guitars after dive bombs with the Shubb C-1 mounted, but then pitches are fine again. [thumbup]

Archived