Gibson Brands Forums

New 1 week old J45 questions

Cibby53

I have had my new J45 for about a week now it is one of those Custom 1960's Ebony LTD. The one most didn't like in a thread a couple weeks ago. It turns out the one I got is pretty sweet sounding. It has a much different sound than my J35 which is bright sounding . The J45 has a dry crisp mahogany sound a.good bass and a balanced high end that is not near as bright as the J35 high end . A couple questions I had ..the saddle is not compensated at the B string like the J35 . Would there be much difference if I replaced,it with a Bob Colisi bone saddle with the B string compensated., I,was,also thinking about removing the under saddle pickup would that make much difference in the sound . I did plug it in and was surprised,how good it sounded but I really don't need to play it plugged in. Other than seeing what strings and gauge I like the best those were the questions I had...thanks

If you remove the under saddle pickup remember you loose some of the saddle height.

You might need a new saddle or a shim, in which case you are kind of back where you started with something between the saddle and the surface of the bridge.

Some guys preferred the tone after removing the saddle,some don't really notice a difference but it sounds like yours has a nice tone as is.

You've had it only for a week. Maybe live with it for awhile and see how it settles in?

The change I made to mine was to go to a set of bone pins - also from Bob C. Music Villa, where I purchased the guitar from added a bone nut pre-purchase.

I did notice a difference with that switch. I really like the way mine sounds.

If you remove the under saddle pickup remember you loose some of the saddle height.

You might need a new saddle or a shim, in which case you are kind of back where you started with something between the saddle and the surface of the bridge.

Some guys preferred the tone after removing the saddle,some don't really notice a difference but it sounds like yours has a nice tone as is.

You've had it only for a week. Maybe live with it for awhile and see how it settles in?

The change I made to mine was to go to a set of bone pins - also from Bob C. Music Villa, where I purchased the guitar from added a bone nut pre-purchase.

I did notice a difference with that switch. I really like the way mine sounds.

Did you stay with the light gauge 80/20's.... Right now I put on a set of Martin medium/lights in phosphor bronze. I just got both Martin 80/20's and Gibson for the next string change also added bone pins from Bob. Other than trying a few sets of strings and bone pins I think I will leave as for awhile it does sound great .

Did you stay with the light gauge 80/20's.... Right now I put on a set of Martin medium/lights in phosphor bronze. I just got both Martin 80/20's and Gibson for the next string change also added bone pins from Bob. Other than trying a few sets of strings and bone pins I think I will leave as for awhile it does sound great .

Currently I have John Pearse 600L on the guitar.

I do have a couple sets of the new Martin Retro Monels on the way and am going to see what they sound like.

My favorites on this guitar are the Pearse and the Martin Lifespan SP both in a light gauge.

If you think it sounds great, maybe don't mess with it.

When I put a bone saddle and nut in my j45 it had increased note clarity and sustain. It also got a little brighter. I use DR Sunbeams 12s and it sounds great. You can always put the tusq saddle back in. Some people like itbetter. Some guitars sound better with tusq.

Nevertheless, I would play it for acouple of months before changing anything. After a couple of months, I would take it in for a professional setup and make the desired changes at that time.The one exception to that is if you are going to change the pick guard. That shouldbe done as early as possible.

I would keep it as is unless you notice a little intonation issue if you capo up the neck. Then, I would have a local guy amaze you a compensated saddle and adjust that saddle for your guitar in particular. My guys did that for my SJTV, which I love.

Ps if you do take out the pickup and need a shim for under the saddle, I think I have some ebony shims lying around that I would be happy to send you.

Why are you asking if a compensated saddle is needed?

problems tuning ?

hassles up the fretboard ?

Saddle I got from Colosi custom saddles is b string compensated ...My J35 has compensated saddle wanted to known difference.

I would keep it as is unless you notice a little intonation issue if you capo up the neck. Then, I would have a local guy amaze you a compensated saddle and adjust that saddle for your guitar in particular. My guys did that for my SJTV, which I love.

Ps if you do take out the pickup and need a shim for under the saddle, I think I have some ebony shims lying around that I would be happy to send you.

I never plugged an acoustic in till last week even thorough I have an amp that is perfect for it and kind of liked playing around with it. Facing the amp and playing I could pick up any mistakes. I doubt I'll use it much but for now I think I should leave pick up alone.

Archived