Gibson Brands Forums

57 Classic Plus for 335 bridge?

monkmiles

In a 335 (or 335 type guitar), how would a 57 Classic Plus bein the bridge position? I'm considering either two 57 Classic or one 57 Classic in the neck and the 57 Classic Plus in the bridge.

The styles I play on it are rock, jazz, and jamband type stuff. So I'd like to be able to get nice, fat jazz tones from the neck pickup. But I'd also like to be able to crank out Led Zeppelin or Govt Mule tones from the bridge pickup or a combination of the two pickups.

Seeing that I believe a Gibson 335 is stock with two 57 Classics (and no Plus), perhaps there's a reason they don't put the plus in the bridge?

No specific reason except staying traditional I think. I can't imagine any serious drawback when using a '57 Classic Plus in the ES-335's bridge position - and, by the way, in the neck position, too. It is a matter of taste.

In case you use a '57 Classic in the neck and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position in combination, the tone won't be that much different from using two '57 Classics. The difference is mostly about single pickup use.

I have the 57 classic and 57 classic+ in my LP, I would not change them out for anything. I like some of the other Gibson pickups and certainly some of the Seymour Duncan PAF HB's but I don't think anything beats the 57s, I play the neck PU through a Fender Princeton Reverb and you can easily coax some great Jazz tones out of it. The plus really drives the amp if that is your thing as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived