Gibson Brands Forums

Musical instrument insurance

PrairieSchooner

This has probably been asked and answered many times, but any suggestions on companies to insure multiple instruments? My homeowner's policy has some limitations, and I'm trying to decide if it's better to try to update that coverage or to look into some sort of specialty policy. Thanks...

Referring to the situation here, the household contents insurance includes them if the sum insured is sufficient. Bringing them out of the dwell has to be insured separately and is very expensive, in particular if being unattended between 22:00 and 06:00 local time, e. g. in a parked car. In case one wants to include using gear abroad, it may be cheaper renting some there.

There seems to be only a couple of insurance companies in the US that specialize in musical instruments. I use Heritage Insurance Services, through their "Musical Arts Trade Insurance Program". Very comprehensive coverage at what I think is a very reasonable cost (roughly an annual cost of 1% of value). The peace of mind is well worth the cost.

Heritage Insurance Services, Inc.

Ellis Hershman

1-800-289-8837 x107

or Robin @ x104

As my collection of guitars grew and got more expensive I had a rider added to the homeowners that specifically gave a value for each one catalogued with photos as proof that I owned them (in case they all burned in a house fire or something). It only added a little bit to the annual premium.

But as L5 mentioned if you are a gigging musician and tell the insurance company that you are playing out however many nights a week or on the road traveling with your gear then it gets uber expensive.

I paid lots for it when I gigged, and I was glad to drop it when I retired from bars. I have my homeowners cover contents sufficiently. If the house burns down or they break in and take everything I got bigger problems. Guitar Center is about 9 miles away, there's a Fender or a Gibson or a Martin in there that'll do.

rct

We have Met Auto and Home, and they have pro riders for things like this (as well as photo gear etc)

I guess the main snag is, if it's a home loss, you're ok. if the loss occurs out side you're dwelling, you're not ok.

(make sure you have full replacement value?)

I have SOME of my gear covered, but I've been laxed and I've got to get off my arse and get the rest of the stuff covered.

so that's maybe where you can start,, -> ask if there are Riders to cover things like this that you can add to your policy. (for me, it's not terribly expensive)

I use Heritage. I have about 35K in coverage with a premium of 256.00 annually. No complaints. I also use this policy when shipping and forgo Fedex or UPS "policies". There is a separate fee bit it's worth it.

Do you have multiple instruments covered under the 35K or is it for one guitar.

Reason I am asking is right now some of mine are covered under my home owners policy, but if I were to cover all of them the replacement value would be quite high.

I am shopping around for a policy that I can insure each guitar itself. Dont know if it would be one policy with each guitar itemized with a seperate appraisal.

Do you have multiple instruments covered under the 35K or is it for one guitar.

Reason I am asking is right now some of mine are covered under my home owners policy, but if I were to cover all of them the replacement value would be quite high.

I am shopping around for a policy that I can insure each guitar itself. Dont know if it would be one policy with each guitar itemized with a seperate appraisal.

9 guitars for the figure I mentioned.

Archived