Gibson Brands Forums

sad news

brc

Just a couple weeks ago I posted about a friend of mine who just found out he had pancreatic cancer and was told he had "maybe" 6 months on the outside.

He started chemo and just could not handle the side effects of the treatment.

He told me two days ago, that after just three rounds of chemo, he told his doctors no more.

Just a great guy, the kind every one would be proud to call their friend.

Its so difficult to talk to him, but I know he needs as much support as possible until its over.

He did say he was at peace, and sinse he made up his mind to stop treatment,he is just going let things run its course.

After every thing he has been going through, he still asks me how I am doing sinse my bout with cancer and my stroke.

They "estimate" he has 4 months now as the cancer is very aggressive.

I am really going to miss him, and his great sense of humor.

hard to comprehend how traumatic it would be to face such a decision. very sad news

I don't know if it's because I've become more aware of it through Wilko Johnson (who made similar decision) but this form of cancer seems to be becoming ever more present - not sure why (or even if that's true) but before Steve Jobs I'm not even sure I'd heard of it, now its coming up all the time it seems [confused]

A friend of mine saw the pancreatic cancer hit her father and her brother. Pretty traumatic indeed, but I think a lot depends on the individual. I gave a 50-year membership award once to a 95-year-old guy who was as sharp as anyone here between the ears, but his body simply was worn out. He knew the pale horse was on the horizon and was ready... It was about two days as I recall.

Wish your friend well and support him well...

In fact, I think too many "kids" keep thinking that we humans are immortal since they don't have the daily contact with elders and those afflicted with various illnesses and accidents as folks once had. It's life, but we show ourselves better by recognizing and helping one another through whatever it might bring.

m

Very sorry to hear this.

Pancreatic cancer is probably the most lethal cancer there is, and prognosis is never good. My brother in-law's mom died from it, but she managed to out-live - by over a year - her doctor's estimate on how long she had.

I'm glad your friend is at peace with it, and I hope he can maintain a decent quality of life.

I do believe I know how you feel.

My mother was diagnosed with late stage 4 (i.e. too late to recover) ovarian cancer in early 2002.

After a couple of ops they started the chemo but soon she said "no more"; she passed on late that year.

There's nothing much I can say except at least he still has a short time to prepare and tidy his affairs.

And he has you too.

My best wishes to you. Please keep me/us updated, pm if you wish.

This is very bad news, BRC. :( I think his decision should be respected for side effects and dignity. Pancreatic cancer is beyond cure in most cases. I still remember when Patrick Swayze dies from it 21 months after diagnosis.

A bandmate of mine is suffering from colon cancer since of June, 2012, and undergoes another chemo at the moment aiming at metastases in his entire body. He is married and has two children of primary school age. It is so sad seeing him this way. He still is a fantastic guitar player. My bandmates and me enjoy the time making music with him as long as he will be able to play. [unsure]

It feels like I have had to deal with cancer in one form or another for as long as I can remember.

I have lost 8 close family members due to cancer. My Dad was only 38 years old when we lost him.

I lost my Mom in 2012 to cancer, and in between those times, we have lost our Grandfathers, one Grandmother, great Grandmother, 2 uncles and numerous friends. They only 2 people in our family to have cancer and survive through it is my aunt and myself.

I have watched a few of them go through the chemo treatments, and it was pretty bad.

After watching them go through the chemo, I think I understand why he chose not to.

Sorry to hear that, I lost a sister in law from that and then my brother from lung cancer 3 years ago, after his first chemo he only got worse and died 4 weeks later..it is very hard to watch we were best friends our whole life he was 54... the hardest thing I have ever done. Hold in there and treasure what time you do have.

Hello!

I am sorry to hear that! Be strong!

Unfortunately, I have lost two of my uncles (brothers) due to cancer. Both were young. The older one of them was taken by prostate-cancer. His brother by lung cancer. He never smoked, lived a healthy life. He was a sportsman (http://www.goldentigers.hu/kung-fu-en/si-gung-richard-tix).

Then some family friends...and seen other people suffer with it. I`ve been through that too, however it wasn`t an aggressive one. It was removed surgically.

As it seems to me, chemo is not doing any good to people who suffer from cancer. Everyone I have seen taking this treatment became even weaker and sicker. I understand Your friend`s decision.

Best wishes... Bence

Sorry to hear of your friends circumstances, Cancer is a truly evil disease. Regarding the Chemotherapy sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Five years ago my Sister passed away from Lung Cancer, and I convinced it was the Chemo that ruined the last 9 months of her life, all it did was make her feel ill and stop her from doing the things She wanted to do, the Cancer was terminal anyway.

Ian

I remember it being a statistic some years ago that 85 percent of cancer victims actually succumbed to the treatment and not the disease. I wish your friend luck and hope and comfort, and I feel for you as his friend , who must bear this burden , made all the harder for you by your love.

Sincerely , Steve.

Sorry to hear this about your friend.

He has amazing courage to face this head on as he is. I wish him all the peace he can find.

My wife's brother is in the middle of his second battle with cancer. We're waiting for the results of his last round of treatments.

He's not giving up.

Just a couple weeks ago I posted about a friend of mine who just found out he had pancreatic cancer and was told he had "maybe" 6 months on the outside.

He started chemo and just could not handle the side effects of the treatment.

He told me two days ago, that after just three rounds of chemo, he told his doctors no more.

Just a great guy, the kind every one would be proud to call their friend.

Its so difficult to talk to him, but I know he needs as much support as possible until its over.

He did say he was at peace, and sinse he made up his mind to stop treatment,he is just going let things run its course.

After every thing he has been going through, he still asks me how I am doing sinse my bout with cancer and my stroke.

They "estimate" he has 4 months now as the cancer is very aggressive.

I am really going to miss him, and his great sense of humor.

Sorry to hear this news, brc. Chemo affects people differently, I have had 5 different chemos over the last 8 years and one radiation plus a stem cell transplant and I was one of the lucky ones (if there is such as a thing) to come through the chemos unaffected other than weak and tired. But you do get a different perspective on the rest of your life, because I know that I will not survive too many more recurrences as when I was younger. You make peace with this world and your Maker and accept things as they are. I agree with Milo, we don't expect to die when we are younger, because we aren't around Death as much as the older generations were. Your friend has faced Death and is ready to go on to the next step in his soul's unending life. Help him be as comfortable as you can and treat him as you always have as your friend! CANCER SUCKS!!! :(

Very sorry to hear that. My Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on March 19th, 1988 and died April 25th. It is an awful and can be aggressive malignancy. A lot of us will face our death knowing that it's coming. Cancer affects more than a third of the population. One can only hope that it happens with peace of mind like your friend is displaying. God be with him.

I'm very sad to hear about your friend brc, and to all of you who have lost family and friends to cancers of all types. Myself included. When these things happen to someone you know personally, it shakes you right out of your day to day grind and reminds us all we're only here for a little while and to live each day as it is your last because you never know when it will end. My prayers for everyone's comfort and peace throughout.

Thanks every one for the kind words.

Of course I will not post his name, but when I see him this weekend, I will pass along every ones thoughts.

He is taking it much better than his wife, from what I can see.

He worked all his life <like all of us> and was set to retire this month, Aug 2014.

He and his wife just bought a beautiful house at the lake at the first part of this year, getting ready to enjoy his upcoming retirement.

but again,I will pass along every ones thoughts and well wishes.

Archived