Gibson Brands Forums

Minor Mod to Custom

Twang Gang

Did a minor modification to Custom Lite. Had a tone pot put in where the coil switch was and at the time the tech only had some gold speed knobs so that's what he used.

LPCustomLiteMods002_zpsfddfbe32.jpg

But I never really cared for the way they looked so ordered the old fashioned Top Hats and I think it looks a lot better

TopHatMod002_zpsef7cd882.jpg

Actually felt I got a reasonable price on something out of Gibson - only $14.99 for a set of 4 knobs. Unfortunately they only use FedEx to ship and the cheapest option was another $12 so that almost doubled the price. But I think I like the way they look, and they are what I have been used to using for many years.

Waddya think?

Looks nice! [thumbup]

Did you have one or two push/pull pots built in for coil split and/or phase options? For push/pull pots I prefer Speed Knobs for easier pulling without marring the finish around the pots with my fingernails.

Looks nice! [thumbup]

Did you have one or two push/pull pots built in for coil split and/or phase options? For push/pull pots I prefer Speed Knobs for easier pulling without marring the finish around the pots with my fingernails.

The way the guitar was from the factory, there was a switch for the coil split instead of a tone pot for the bridge pickup and the tone pot that usually controls the neck pup controlled tone on both pickups equally. So I had him rewire so that the tone controls are like LPs have been for 60 years one for neck and one for bridge. Then he also incorporated the push/pull on the bridge tone control so only one push/pull. This works for me as I have the two volume, two tone control that I have been used to forever and if I want to split the coils I pull up on a knob.

The way the guitar was from the factory, there was a switch for the coil split instead of a tone pot for the bridge pickup and the tone pot that usually controls the neck pup controlled tone on both pickups equally. So I had him rewire so that the tone controls are like LPs have been for 60 years one for neck and one for bridge. Then he also incorporated the push/pull on the bridge tone control so only one push/pull. This works for me as I have the two volume, two tone control that I have been used to forever and if I want to split the coils I pull up on a knob.

Nicely done! [thumbup] I love those "hidden" push/pull features. [biggrin] I was just wondering if you decided to go "all the way" and had a phase switch installed in the neck tone position. I would prefer this over a separate coil split in case of having two push/pulls instead of four. This would take 500 kOhms audio taper pots for volumes instead of 300 kOhms linear taper. They obviously don't make the latter with push/pull switches.

Anyway, I like separate tone controls, too, and don't like the look of three pots/one switch Les Paul tops. They just seem odd to me. Four pot knobs on the top, that's it! ;)

I just might have to change the black speed knobs on my black custom for gold ones now… I lot the contrast and it works really well with the gold hardware.

Before…

BlackCustom.jpg

After…

???

I just happen to have a set of four gold speed knobs I'll let you have for $26 - but not sure if we can get them through customs to Spain?? Duty, value added tax?? [scared]

Archived