Gibson Brands Forums

Check Lp authenticity

Hi,

Can anybody out there verify if the Gibson Les Paul I'm about to buy is authentic. The seller doesn't have the warranty certificate. The serial on the head is 006480548

Appreciate any help you can give as I don't want a Chinese copy to arrive at my door.

Cheers,

Leo

Hello Leo, and welcome here.

From the serial number only one can't tell if the guitar is legit or not. This number would mean production number 548 from the first batch on March 4th, 2008, but only pictures of the entire instrument can help in confirming it as a genuine Gibson. Can you link some pictures here?

A missing packing checklist would be a reason for me to haggle about a discount.

• 4 weeks later...

Serial numbers aren't registered with Gibson, and most are not of good standard of quality overall. Pricing can also be one of the easiest giveaways for a phony guitar. If a guitar is up for an online auction at a fraction of what it would typically cost, consumers are taking a great chance by purchasing it.

Measure the guitar to check that it’s not undersized. Correct measurements can be found on www.Gibson.com.

Examine headstock and headstock logo to determine that they match those of authentic Gibson guitars.

Check to see that all pearl is inlaid.

Check that Les Paul model script is always in cursive.

Verify that there’s not a three-screw truss rod cover.

Check the control and pickup cavities for sloppy routing or wiring.

Make sure the pickup cavity is not painted black inside.

Always ask for the Gibson Owner’s Manual and Gibson Warranty Inspection card.

Check the wiring. If it’s plastic it isn’t a true Gibson.

Check the wiring. If it’s plastic it isn’t a true Gibson.

Not valid for Gibson toggle switch wiring. Except for VOS guitars, they are plastic-isolated three-conductor cables.

Also not valid for Gibsons featuring switching options stock. They come with plastic-isolated four-conductor pickup cables.

Archived