Gibson Brands Forums

busy place

Martin 1940D28

Great Mom. You better never get rid of it! I still have my Kay guitar my Mom bought me back in the early 60's. I would recommend the Fender Forum but it's pretty slow movin' over there even when compared to the current traffic on this forum.

I have 5 brothers. A few years ago my Mom, who was in her mid 80's, gave each of us a chunk on money with the condition that we immediately go out and buy us something for ourselves and let her know what it was.

Ok, quick call. Turns out she asked a friend of mine what kind of guitar I DID NOT have - and he said “electric”. She probes him a bit on what kind of electric might be nice to have, and my friend, being in about 6 different country bands, lead her down this path. Now what? I have had electrics in the past, and have too heavy a hand - I push them out of tune. I’ve sold or given away everyone I ever had. Guess I’ll have to learn some old timey ‘lectirc songs for her. I sent her a picture, she said “oh, that’s pretty” Yay mom ! I guess...

If you like to play a flattop then a Telecaster is the electric to own. Teles have a solid feel to them and are very responsive to attack. I switch back & forth from my Gibson flattops to my Tele all the time. 12s or 13s on the flattops, 10s on my Tele. Teles also stay in tune forever.

Have fun!

She takes a bit of a chance there as I guess she knows you couldn't pass it further. Or maybe you're not that sentimental in your family.

Anyway, I have owned a sun or triburst Tele since the early 20's and it's a significant and fine guitar.

Enjoys yours and send your mothership a distorted riff for X-mas. . .

What a great story and gift! You are only icky guitar player!

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

This is one of the best auto correct examples I've seen!

You "icky guitar player" you. [biggrin]

I'm not an electric guy, but that is a nice looking instrument.

That's the great thing about moms...you're always going to be her little boy. Knowing what I little I know about you Dan I think she hit the nail on the head for an electric. Looks like the 52 tele reissue...great guitar and much more than just a country twanger....IMHO if your only going to have one electric that's one of the best choices. Simple, two single coil pickups, I think that version hum bucks in the middle position, thicker neck profile....put Gibson Vintage Nickel 11s on her and play it through the same amp you use for your acoustics....A butterscotch blonde tele is hard to beat....

Oh and back to the OP...yeah...deader 'an a door nail 'round here lately....is it a slow model year or because all the insult slingers got kicked off? Maybe Gibson shipping some guitars with the pickguards in the case left nothing to talk about.

Maybe next year we will see a Martin CEO-8 that is a Norlin era Gibson knockoff...that would give us something to talk about for a while....

duluthdan-I know what you mean about being a heavy hand with an electric. I have a Tele, much like yours only not as high end, and it hangs on the wall. Every now and then though someone shows up that can really play it and having it available so they can twang is worth having it around. The only other option for you is to sell yours and convert it to another acoustic and I'm guessing your Mom, of all the people in the world, would be understanding. They ARE such iconic guitars though. A true American classic. Happy B-day too!

I've had my Telecaster for 36 years now. You can do anything on one. Anything. Any sound that is in my head, I can make come out the Tele. Not a statement on my ability or talent (or lack thereof) but more "the sound I want is right there" with maybe only a minor tweak of either the volume or tone knob. To me it is the most versatile guitar ever made.

But that's just me.

I've changed pickups and stuff over the years but it is back stock now. The switch may be a Switchcraft replacement, I'm not sure, but I have the original pickups and 1 Meg pots in it. I even removed the Schaller straplocks and put the original buttons back on WITH the original strap. I do have rubber washers in place as strap locks however. It's strung with D'Addario 11-49s.

The finish is funky, like it's deteriorating. For that reason I can't clean or polish it. The finish is highly hygroscopic; if I get it wet with a rag, it will turn whitish and remain that way for a day or two. No matter. I USE it, I don't POLISH it.

Wow, what a mum !

Ive had a similar experience, but with my Mrs. She actually bought me my very first Gibson for a birthday, the Les Paul.

Did the same question routine, asked around, got a friend to play a few and surprised me in what is a great mid 90's LP .... except it only gets played a couple times a year. Just struggle to find reason to play electrics..

I believe I have the same model, '52 AVRI Tele. Personally, if I were only going to have one electric guitar, it would be the Tele. You can't kill them and they only look better with age and use. They make complete sense to me as the right electric for anyone who has a collection of Gibson acoustics. Time to learn some electric blues licks or country, depending on your tastes. I have a Squier Classic Vibe thatI've taken out the low E and turned into my Keith Richards guitar, with his tuning. Anytime I want to play a Stones song, I pick it up and I sound like I know what I"m doing.

You have an amazing mom!

Personally, if I were only going to have one electric guitar, it would be the Tele. You can't kill them and they only look better with age and use.

My first decent electric pictured below - I didn't know at the time but the neck is way too skinny for me, but instinct told me to buy that 1983 Strat in 1983 for standard tuning duties, leaving the Tele for......E TUNING Slide! Pretty fierce!

Telecaster-01a_zps4d8a3e90.jpg

Telecaster-01b_zpsc2301811.jpg

I don't play it, but I was told by the Boss not to sell it because of some nostalgic reasons.... It is worth quite a bit these days, so ....a gonner that don't know it yet? Go to someone that would pay for it and play for it!

BluesKing777.

My first decent electric pictured below - I didn't know at the time but the neck is way too skinny for me, but instinct told me to buy that 1983 Strat in 1983 for standard tuning duties, leaving the Tele for......E TUNING Slide! Pretty fierce!

Telecaster-01a_zps4d8a3e90.jpg

Telecaster-01b_zpsc2301811.jpg

I don't play it, but I was told by the Boss not to sell it because of some nostalgic reasons.... It is worth quite a bit these days, so ....a gonner that don't know it yet? Go to someone that would pay for it and play for it!

Is that an early 70s Custom?

BluesKing777.

Archived