Gibson Brands Forums

Chrome flat wound strings

slk

Does anyone here use flat wound strings? They are all I use to use when I was playing in bands. I could make them sing on my 64 Firebird...I have just recently started back playing after a very long time. I have put new strings on it (Daddario Nickel wound EXL115 medium)These do not have the G string wound which I asked for, but strung them anyways. The tone is not what the flat wound use to give me. They are much brighter sounding for sure. Was just wondering if any of you use flat wound on your Gibson guitars. They are much more expensive for sure.

Steve

I use flats on my archtops, but then I'm a jazz player.

Back in the late 70's I was playing mostly rhythm guitar in a fusion group. I had a Strat that I setup with Rotosound roundwounds with a wound 3rd. The wound 3rd really gave that guitar a sweet smooth sound. I never thought about trying flats on that guitar at the time, but might have been interesting.

I use flat wounds on my midtown. I also changed out the Gibson P90's to Joe Barden pickups. A huge difference in sound. On several other guitars, a LP and a SG, I put half wound strings on, which turned out to be a good compromise for the type of music I play, American Standards, Beatles and Jazz. I do not use a wound G with the flat wounds.

Archived