Gibson Brands Forums

1971 Gibson SG Special Tuners - Where to Find

Hey board! I have a 1971 Gibson SG Special. She is a beautiful guitar and plays & sounds excellent! She is all original except for the tuners. I play this guitar, but I also collect and want to get her all back to original.

I picked up 5/6 era correct deluxe tuners (which were probably much more expensive), but realized the Special had the 3x3 "3 on a plate" tuners. I have not had any luck finding these tuners from this era.

Does anyone know where I can find an original set of 71 era "3 on a plate" SG Special tuners?

Thanks!

John

Best I can determine is you are most likely looking for Kluson 3-on-a-plate, oval white plastic button tuning machines.

Here's the e-bay link that gives me that idea, Scroll through the photos for the one showing the back of the headstock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Gibson-SG-Special-Original-Vintage-FREE-SHIPPING-/121413145448?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c44c99368

Repros of these tuners are readily available from most any parts house. Here's the mfg's page showing them:

http://www.wdmusic.com/kluson_3_on_plate_plastic_button_nickel_double_row.html

Edit: Here's an e-bay listing at a reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kluson-traditional-3-per-plate-Oval-Plastic-Button-Dbl-Line-Nickel-WD90NPP-DR-/301277543891?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item46258a7dd3

Larry, is it possible to open those up to check the gears for damage or other issues? I have a 59 LP Jr and high E was binding. I was afraid the plastic button would break due to the force I was using to tune up. Bought these repros but still have the originals. The repros look and work great.

Theoretically... yes.

The covers are affixed by two tabs that go through, and then bend under, the base plate. Straightening the tabs would allow the covers to be lifted off. Inspection and re-lubing would then be possible.

The trick to reassembly would be to get the tabs re-bent under the base plate without breaking them (the tabs), or bending/scratching the cover itself.

As for "originality", first and foremost, a guitar needs to be playable. I've never thought of replacing broken/damaged parts with proper replacements as affecting the "value" of the instrument (other than frets) as long as the original parts are kept with the instrument.

I needed to replace the Klusons on my 1960 Strat for similar reasons as you. I keep the originals in the case pocket wrapped up the the oil paper and box the replacements came in. When I sold an old 335, the new owner got the (completely unusable) original saddles from the ABR-1.

Theoretically... yes.

The covers are affixed by two tabs that go through, and then bend under, the base plate. Straightening the tabs would allow the covers to be lifted off. Inspection and re-lubing would then be possible.

The trick to reassembly would be to get the tabs re-bent under the base plate without breaking them (the tabs), or bending/scratching the cover itself.

As for "originality", first and foremost, a guitar needs to be playable. I've never thought of replacing broken/damaged parts with proper replacements as affecting the "value" of the instrument (other than frets) as long as the original parts are kept with the instrument.

I needed to replace the Klusons on my 1960 Strat for similar reasons as you. I keep the originals in the case pocket wrapped up the the oil paper and box the replacements came in. When I sold an old 335, the new owner got the (completely unusable) original saddles from the ABR-1.

I saw the tabs and wondered about that. Thanks for the reply.

Archived