Gibson Brands Forums

Elitist binding

Kasper

I know the normal Epiphone binding is just a painted stripe. What about the elitist versions? Are they more like Gibsons with plastic binding?

Painted stripe?

Isn't that a myth propagated by Andertons?

I have seen photographs of Epiphone workers putting on proper binding strip.

Painted stripe?

Isn't that a myth propagated by Andertons?

I have seen photographs of Epiphone workers putting on proper binding strip.

The binding on my Epiphones very much look like a painted stripe. Am I wrong?

A "painted stripe" would put a lot of labour in the painting process (especially on a transparent finish) and therefore making the paintjob more expensive and the result would still look cheap... so why would Epiphone put painted fake bindings on their guitars? Doesn't make sense if you think about it.

My Dot Studio has painted binding which is in keeping with its stripped down vibe but my others have real binding.

The 'all Epiphones have painted binding' is just another piece of put down BS along with the 'Epiphone LP's don't have a maple cap just a veneer.'

OK. I guess I was wrong. I actually also thought that Epiphone Les Pauls only had maple cap veneer. But it just makes Epiphones that much of a better deal.

Sometimes it is nice to be wrong!

And yes, you are right that Epiphones are indeed a good deal. [biggrin]

No Epiphone has painted binding. As least no genuine Epiphone. As mentioned earlier, that was a comment in an Anderton's video and that video has since been amended to indicate the reality of the situation.

Actually the Dot Studios (at least the Faded finish ones) have painted binding which, as I said in my earlier post rather suits its stripped back vibe. AFAIK they're the only ones though.

Actually the Dot Studios (at least the Faded finish ones) have painted binding which, as I said in my earlier post rather suits its stripped back vibe. AFAIK they're the only ones though.

That seems to be the general consensus about the Dot Studios. Rumor has it that the early 2004 models had real binding and Epiphone even calls it "binding" in their 2004 literature. I'd take a gander that even some of the older cheap acoustics probably had painted black binding as well, but that is just a guess. Anyway, Epiphone doesnt currently list the Dot Studio as being bound at all.

Rumor has it that the early 2004 models had real binding and Epiphone even calls it "binding" in their 2004 literature.

Yes, the early Dot Studios had a gloss finish and true binding.

There was a choice of six different colors, all having black binding - except for the black body which had white binding.

Archived