Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

AnneS

No flying pigs, no frozen hell, but...

I am returning from the Charlotte show this evening with a spankin' new 2014 j45 Elite Custom Amberburst. It's a limited run, 5-star dealer model. Adi top, Anthem p/u.

It picked me, as did a wine red standard, right next to it. But the $300 diff in price (which seems very slim, if I understand the usual cost of some of the upcharge?) and the burst of the custom carried the day.

Specs:

J-45 Elite Custom Shop

Limited Edition ~ Amberburst, Nitro Finish

Round Shoulder Dreadnaught Body

Mahogany Back & Sides

Abalone Rosette

Adirondack Top

Top & Back Binding

Mahogany Comfort Contour Neck

LR Baggs Anthem Pickup System ~ with Volume & Tone panel mounted in sound-hole

24-3/4" Scale Length

Nut-Width ~ 1.725"

X Bracing

Rosewood Fretboard with 12” Radius

Rosewood Bridge

Black Tusq Nut and Tusq Saddle

Dot Mother-of-Pearl Fret Inlays

Elite Truss Rod Cover

Pearl Gibson Logo on the Headstock

Custom Shop Logo on the Back of the Headstock

Grover Gold Rotomatic Tuners

Tortoise Teardrop Pick-guard

I know, i know- pictures...but I'm still in the car, for crying out loud!!!!

Finally got me a grown-up hog, kids! Hope to do it proud.

😎

It sounded from the other thread that you were going in on a mission of acquisition. Well, alright. Those Amberbursts are beautiful, and I think the J-45 will be the perfect match for your songwriting. Enjoy your NGD.

And no playing in the car! A little easier for our mates across the pond; they don't have to lower the window.

I am returning from the Charlotte show this evening, , ,

Finally got me a grown-up hog, kids! Hope to do it proud.

😎

Been waiting for something like this to happen. Remember you scanned for a late 50's first 60's J-45, but this one must have gotten full access.

May you merge and keep merging. . .

The more I look at the burst with those golden tuners, the more I dig it.

Then again I have developed a certain weakness for golden or golden based mechanics these recent years - on the right guitar they send warmth up the neck and further into the eyes and soul.

When I reach out for my J-45 Standard, it is surprising how much more it welcomes me after becoming looser. It's a 2010 and a thrill to experience.

No doubt in my mind that 45's are among the best acoustics this world have ever created - seen - heard. In many ways they give the squares the hind wheel.

Seems like mine had a lot of nitro evaporation to do. The lacquer came off the neck in black cream-cakes the first summer.

There's still some unwanted compression left, but the direction tells me it will disappear altogether.

You got a dream-trek in front of you - look forward to listen to the first tracks.

Great looking guitar and like it that it's mahogany. I had that burst on a J-45 that was rosewood that I recently traded.

I like that burst. Hope you enjoy it.

I always enjoy your playing and think you will sound great on anything you play.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and fun, all!

I am a happy girl, but I'm not gonna bore you with too many words about it. (Soon enough, I'll bore you with some sound clips, and that'll have to be punishment enough! 😋)

I am feeling the bond, though- no doubt about it. And that was my main object: to fill-in my personal sound palate with what the J-45 brings to the table. My Lg-1 has always provided a taste, but now I can feast at will.

And for the record (and if you're keeping score at home):

1. Snuck a look at the bridge plate (a very busy spot with this p/u system): clean and trim and no scary pin hole/dowel issue. Ship-shape. 👍

2. I like the gold hardware just fine, both aesthetically and functionally so far. 👍

3. Pickguard placement works for me! The guard covers part of the ring but none of the rosette. Looks deliberate and classy, to my eye. 👍

4. Gonna fret about adding a strap pin, but will likely have it done. (Don't know if I can go back to the old way of wrapping something under the strings above the nut. always felt less secure and uncomfortable, weight-wise.)

5. Will bring it to tomorrow's open mic and monkey around with the Anthem.

Anyone have thoughts on whether I should still run through a DI box as I always do with my J100 (Fishman ust)? Guess I'll read up on it- weird that with the case candy, there's not one word about the p/u. But that's what the google machine is for, I suppose.

Ahhh... I've joined the club at long last!

I have the opposite of buyer's remorse.

Archived