Gibson Brands Forums

AJ-220S compared to IB64 Texan

cliffenstein

So, I just got off the phone with the GC floor sales rep who sold me my IB64 Texan. I was calling him to find out how often his store gets the AJ-220S models in (they didn't have any in stock when I bought my guitar). He noted that they currently have them and that they do get them in quite often. I asked him how they compare to the Texans and he answered, "honestly, they don't. The 220's sound like toys compared to the Texans." After some back and forth about what it is I like so much about the sound and feel of my guitar, he told me that, unless Epiphone releases the Masterbilt AJ-45, I'm likely to not be happy with any Epi burst other than the cherry version of what I already have. He also mentioned the forward x-bracing the IB64 Texans have which make them sound so much more like the Gibson Advanced Jumbo than any other Epi.

Interesting conversation.

I really want a burst, but not so sure I want two of the exact same guitar just to get one.

Can any actual users of both guitars here give up any comparisons? I obviously have and love the IB64 Texan, but what my rep told me kinda put me off the idea of the AJ-220S. Anyone care to confirm or counterbalance my rep's comparison?

Can any actual users of both guitars here give up any comparisons? I obviously have and love the IB64 Texan, but what my rep told me kinda put me off the idea of the AJ-220S. Anyone care to confirm or counterbalance my rep's comparison?

I've played both and I'd pick the Texan over the AJ. they both sound good but the Texan looks and feels better to me. I'm not bad mouthing the guy at GC but of course he's going to back the sale he made you and tell you the $200 guitar sounds like a toy compared to the $400 one he sold you.

I've played both and I'd pick the Texan over the AJ. they both sound good but the Texan looks and feels better to me. I'm not bad mouthing the guy at GC but of course he's going to back the sale he made you and tell you the $200 guitar sounds like a toy compared to the $400 one he sold you.

Oh yes...I understand that. This guy doesn't have that "salesman" way about him at all. He could have just told me to come on in and he'll hook me up and he'd still get a sale even if it was for a lower priced instrument than what I bought from him last time. His reply was more akin to "dude, don't even bother. I know you and you won't be happy with this."

I've bought both on eBay.The AJ200S Sunburst was very brash sounding and I thought the bound fingerboard out of place.

I traded it in within days for a Blue Ridge I still have.

The Texan (also Sunburst) is my go to acoustic/electric.I CAN'T FAULT IT!

Maybe I should get two Texans so I can have a burst I'll actually like without paying a fortune!

I have to say that I agree with your bound fretboard assessment. I don't think bound fretboards without matching bound headstocks look right. It's the same reason why I don't like rosewood fretboards on strats...it offsets too much against the headstock. The entire neck should look like one piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in GC today and finally laid hands on a truly great sounding IB Texan. I just had bad luck before I guess. It really did rock. It had a very nice mid range bump like my J-45. Setup was great too, it felt really good. It felt like I could play it all day.

Also played Songwriter Deluxe. Thats a truly fine guitar, there. But much more expensive.

That Texan makes me understand what the guys here were talking of.

I just checked out two AJ-220S in VS at my local guitar center. To say I wasn't impressed would be an understatement. The rosewood fretboards were light in color and The overall thing looked way more modern than it did vintage. The sound was just okay...it was nowhere near as good as my Texan.

I know the manager there. He saw me and came over to talk a bit. He knew I wasn't there to buy. He said that the thing with these cheaper guitars that try to look more upscale is that the binding will start to separate, creating more problems than they're worth.

Be that as it may, I think I'll get me a Recording King RDH-05 (Dirty 30's Dreadnought). I've got the RPH-05 (same guitar in Single O parlor size) and it is killer. $199 just like the AJ-220S, also with a solid spruce top, but comes with a bone nut and bone saddle and has no fretboard binding. These things look old and worn-in from day one. They are totally loud, too.

At one point I was seriously considering the AJ-220S. They look much better online. Perhaps my local GC got a bad batch.

My experience with both models has been the exact opposite of you guys. I own a '64 Texan and it is my least favorite acoustic. I did order it online (without playing first) however, I've played a couple others since and they all sound the same to me. (NO BALLS) For my taste these are overly loud in the mid-range. The strings just don't seem to blend well across the range. Maybe through a compressor pedal. Reminds me of a bad Gibson acoustic. They can be a little heavy on the mids too.

I own two Epiphone AJ-200S also. A natural and a vintage burst. Now it could be me, but; they have sounded fantastic since I purchased them. Especially the VS. They both are very close in sound though. I gotta say (IMO) these are the best $200, bang for the bucks going. Easy to play, excellent neck with string spacing I prefer, ( you may think the spacing between these 2 models is the same) Its not. They sound terrific, excellent solid wood and finish. I am a guitar tech, I own a lot of Epiphone guitars, plus Martin, Taylor, Guild, Gibson and others. Done a lot of work on customer guitars too. I do wish my time with the Texans had turned out better. I did want to like that guitar.

Faded...

Archived