Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Studio vs 2014 Studio Pro vs 2014 Signature T... HELP

alexthegreat404

Hi all! I am going through a bad time right now. My gf of over 4 years and I are on a break, I started a new job in a new city and have been lonely, and now some other family problems are going on. I am optimistic and think everything will be fine in the long run, but its still rough now.

So I decided, **** it! I am going to be selfish and treat myself to some nice gear. I got a cool Les Paul Special last year, but I want a burst or a high end guitar with inlays and all that jazz. I'm shallow but whatever! I was looking at the new Les Paul Custom Lite coming out, but I decided I wanted something a bit more cheap and traditional since I am going to go big and buy a new amp too. Basically, I want the Les Paul I think about when I think about me having a Les Paul. I obviously can't afford a Standard or an R9 or anything, but I am really pleased with the 3 models I have narrowed things down with-

The 2014 Studio, Studio Pro, and Signature T. I am really impressed with the new Studios (that Red Burst caught my eye), but I much prefer the wood, pickups, and hardshell case with the Studio Pro. Those upgrades alone easily warrant the extra $500 in my opinion, but I'd still like some perspective on both models.

The Signature T is the enigma. It looks interesting, and I like the finish, but I still don't really "get" what the model is trying to do. It has the 57 pickups, but so does the Studio Pro (with a burst bucker in the bridge!). So is it just an upgrade because of the binging? Or is it not chambered? Basically, what the hell is the T? Also, it seems the only one left in stock since it is a 2013 model is one with a Min Etune. I don't have experience with that and it adds to the price.

Also, going used is not an option. I have to purchase through Zzounds because of their payment plan options.

I think I am leaning towards the Studio Pro but I have no idea. This is a great problem to have... help!

EDIT- It would seem the Signature T is a 2013 model

EDIT 2- and this new Custom Lite still seems oh so alluring... http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCT14

I believe the concensus is that the "T is for the Tuner; the Mini-eTune. Maybe we've figured out something different since, and there are some actual Gibson employees that peruse these boards so they could weigh in on that too...

They went with a mini-eTune mandatory for the 2014 Signature model, but it was optional in 2013 when it made its debut. As far as inexpensive the Custom Lite is about as inexpensive as you can get for a Les Paul other than a studio. Traditional maybe not, although the 3-knob controls are not traditional with the switch for coil-splitting, the 490R/498T pickup combination is nearly as traditional as they come with IMHO the best Gibson Les Paul pickup combination on the market for rich Gibson tone with enough scream potential to please anyone...

I suppose the T could be for Ted McCarty, but I'm pretty sure it is simply for the tuner, the actual model designation is the Signature model...

They are going for a signature look and sound I guess and the 1950's PAF (Patent Applied For) humbuckers that came out 1st on the 1957 models is a likely candidate for a signature pickup, so the '57 Classic pickups on the Signature T is a likely choice...

You might want to eye-up a Traditional model and see if that's anything you'd like too, it is in roughly the same price range as the Custom Lite as opposed to a Standard...

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Signature T in Vintage Sunburst on Zzounds. I ordered it because it was on back order and 2013 models have gone very quick since Gibson redid the line. Should come in a week or two! I am PSYCHED!

And since I am at my family's and nearby, I am going to run over to guitar center right now though to check out the Studio Pro, I'll have a 45 day return window on the "T" if I change my mind.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Signature T in Vintage Sunburst on Zzounds. I ordered it because it was on back order and 2013 models have gone very quick since Gibson redid the line. Should come in a week or two! I am PSYCHED!

And since I am at my family's and nearby, I am going to run over to guitar center right now though to check out the Studio Pro, I'll have a 45 day return window on the "T" if I change my mind.

So is this what you are getting

Spkvljckhckjvlash-02_zps53707826.jpg

nice guitar [thumbup]

Personally I would have said go for the LP Lite, I think they are pretty cool.. But hey the Sig T is real nice too (even though Id take the min e tune thing off)...

Let us know what shes like when you get her.. And of course we expect pics :)

Personally id go for the signature t.both good guitars and this is entirely subjective. The signature t feels a lot closer to a standard than most other cheaper les pauls. Ive always felt with a studio that somthing is lacking. Even if its just binding. I know that the 2013 standard are going for very reasonable prive if you can stretch to the flagship. All the best with the decisio

Archived