Gibson Brands Forums

The LPJ Club

CJ Smith

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first post featuring my first Gibson. Https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgv3sipdrd3pyy1/p20141204-145400.jpg?dl=0

15975644622_31d60bfabf_z.jpg

This guitar was Sam Ash's last lefty LPJ Goldtop and was hard to get into my hands, but I got! I immediately got rid of the black hardware for cream and amber bits. It will be replacing the pickup covers as well. Yes, just the covers ( stay tuned for that). The knobs are wrong and sit high off the body, so I'll need to fix that. I'm loving the 50's neck, it is totally different than my 1994 Epiphone LP100, which will now go under the knife.(original owner).

I'm with you on the 50's neck. I love it! I don't really agree with the "thinner necks are faster" idea. Mind you, I've spent the last 10 years playing a LOT of acoustic guitar, so a thicker neck feels right at home with me.

Ok guys, let's bring some action to the club.

Now one thing is clear like vodka,

the LPJ is a hell of a guitar.

We all love them!

But one thing i'd like to know is,

into what do you plug it in?

What amp makes ya babys roar.

Please share your expiriences.

So let's start with me.

I am a bedroom player, don't expect a 100 watt monster.

The first one I had was a Fender Frontman 15. I don't know but after only 2 weeks the gain button died.

The only other acceptable practice amp

They had in the store was a Orange Crush Pix 12 L.

Well for that money you can't expect

much. But I have to say it serves me well. Nice tone clean, and very ajustable for dirt it has separate gain and overdrive pot's so that nice.

But I think it's time to buy me a nice all tube amp.

Ok people that's mine, and now make me jealous.....

Been after one of these for a while, but couldn't find one anywhere for a decent price. So I walked into my local GC yesterday afternoon looking for a new strap, and they had this brand new one hanging on the wall. I wasn't sure whether to believe peoples' tales of the 2015 models not moving, but the guy in the store told me they can't keep their 2013 and 2014 models in stock. He said no-one is buying the 2015 models.

Anyway, I'm stoked. I almost splashed out $999 on a 2013 Studio last week, but this cost me just over half the price. Mahogany body, maple top and coil-tapped chrome 490R/490T pickups.

IMG_0931_zps7e5db8ab.jpg

Been after one of these for a while, but couldn't find one anywhere for a decent price. So I walked into my local GC yesterday afternoon looking for a new strap, and they had this brand new one hanging on the wall. I wasn't sure whether to believe peoples' tales of the 2015 models not moving, but the guy in the store told me they can't keep their 2013 and 2014 models in stock. He said no-one is buying the 2015 models.

Anyway, I'm stoked. I almost splashed out $999 on a 2013 Studio last week, but this cost me just over half the price. Mahogany body, maple top and coil-tapped chrome 490R/490T pickups.

IMG_0931_zps7e5db8ab.jpg

That's an awesome looking LPJ.

It's fantastic with chrome covers.

What is it a LPJ Pro or something? Had only seen it with black plastic covers and without coil-tapping.

Congratulations, very nice catch.

Greets Marcos

Any one interested in keeping their original pickups, but replacing those plastic covers with metal covers?

Hell yeah, would love to try different combinations with the ones I have now.

The reason I don't do it already is that I think it would look strange to me having one PU in nickel and one in black.

Nice amp collection SM!

Have to try the Valveking.

Was looking around for nice bedroom valve amps.

In this moment I don't want to spend too much.

Combo would be ok, but I'd like to have the option of switching cab's.

There is this Micro Terror I would buy in a heartbeat but it is hybrid.

I think I am an Orange man.

I would go with Marshall but they are not in my pricerange.

Then Vox Lil' Night Train, I'm sure I would love this one to.

Tried Blackstar awesome amp for that price but I agree something is missing.

Lot's of options!

Ok guys, let's bring some action to the club.

Now one thing is clear like vodka,

the LPJ is a hell of a guitar.

We all love them!

But one thing i'd like to know is,

into what do you plug it in?

What amp makes ya babys roar.

Please share your expiriences.

So let's start with me.

I am a bedroom player, don't expect a 100 watt monster.

The first one I had was a Fender Frontman 15. I don't know but after only 2 weeks the gain button died.

The only other acceptable practice amp

They had in the store was a Orange Crush Pix 12 L.

Well for that money you can't expect

much. But I have to say it serves me well. Nice tone clean, and very ajustable for dirt it has separate gain and overdrive pot's so that nice.

But I think it's time to buy me a nice all tube amp.

Ok people that's mine, and now make me jealous.....

Lots of different combinations and they all make it sing:

Orange Micro Terror into my Marshall 75w reverb (modded so it can be used solely as a cab) OR into one of my Simms-Watts 2x12s OR a T-Bone 1x12 cab (all work well!)

OR

Straight into my Marshal 75w reverb

OR

Into my PC using a Lexicon Alpha and JCM-900 amp sim!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK,so I finally got around to changing the pick-up covers. I got to keep the stock pups, just put a new hat on them. I ordered a bunch of cheap chrome covers from eBay a while back and have been trying to figure out how to swap them. If you're not familiar with the stock 2013 LPJ pups are have a cover much like EMG pups: plastic with the height tabs integrated.16719997105_20166bf319_n.jpg

The pick-up itself does not have the height tabs. I need to get clever. Enter Allparts!I was surfing Allparts for some inspiration for other projects on my mind when I found their offering of humbucker plates. I order a set 50/53mm from my locally owned music shop and picked them up on Monday.

16532426308_bd4ecb9b7e_n.jpg

16512717357_c3fa0ff26a_n.jpg

I pulled the original pup out and removed the hot glue keeping the plastic cover on and was left with this.

Notice the 4 screws, those keep the gold colored plate on. I removed those, but first a little modification to the Pup plate.

I have a lefty LPJ, so the pups are installed kinda funny. anyways, since the LPJ uses Quick Connect a little snipping needed to be done. Honestly, even if they were soldered, I would have done the same thing. Cut the corner away from the new humbucker plate to make room for the wiring.

16718936122_d7efb121bf_n.jpg

16718938982_3b2ae89173_n.jpg

Then file down the sharp edges and corners.

16100060573_5791277cf1_n.jpg

Next removed those 4 screws

16718745031_9e3c29cdfe_n.jpg

Do not remove the original plate, just place the new Allparts plate right on top, lining up the 4 holes and screws. replace.

16694114666_bb8e9b1ac0_n.jpg

Install, or do what I did and now install your new shiny pickup cover

16532590010_a30a3018f0_n.jpg

16512737077_ddd8a1a761_n.jpg

Say goodbye to those crummy looking plastic covers, that just don't jive with the Gibson style.

Hey that look's great, nice work with cool pic's!

Thank's for sharing.

One question, did you put wax into the new covers?

I used a silicone bond on the edges of the pickup- I had my mind set on this method and didn't even think to use wax. If there is any buzz or harsh sounds after some use, I will wax the covers on. Thanks for asking.

that looks really nice. I like that gold top.

Im going to keep my black covers for my red lpj. I do want to upgrade the bridge and stop tailpiece down the road. think I might go with some black nickel. kinda all blacked out on red look. and I finally got me a little tube amp, champ 600. loving the the lpj with the champ 600. after 5 months with my modeling solid state I finally got to find what it really sounds like. gotta love these lpj's.

seems like used Gibson prices are going up too. played a studio used, like a bare wood finish, they were asking 800. good lord

The black hardware on the red looks way better than on the goldtop. I have a Dot Studio with the worn cherry finish and the black looks great, but I did just order some partial open face covers for it, along with a new bridge, which I am keeping black.

The cherry LPJ is a solid looking guitar, and have contemplated picking one up and outfitting it with Hmbucker sized P90s with a black face. I wish I had more money.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived