Gibson Brands Forums

The LPJ Club

CJ Smith

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up a brand new 14 PJL from GC for $671...prices are dropping for the 2014 models. The September MF catalog has the 14LPJ for $686 now as well as several other 2014 Anniversary models. Just wait until November when they start to blow them out!

I picked up a brand new 14 PJL from GC for $671...prices are dropping for the 2014 models. The September MF catalog has the 14LPJ for $686 now as well as several other 2014 Anniversary models. Just wait until November when they start to blow them out!

Hey, Sybex. One rule around here... pictures, or it didn't happen. Oh, and welcome to the club.

I bought an LPJ and it arrived today (poetry!) Anyway, I live in the UK and have been pondering for a few weeks about getting an LP Studio - It had to be red/wine/cherry! as my first real Gibson

I was watching the Andertons Youtube stuff and followed a lead to Rob Chapman's site. He bought an LPJ 2013 model and polished it with Rothko and Frost burnishing cream. It looked the dog's b{:content:}amp;&oks (an English term for extremely good). So I bought one in Cherry and it arrived today - polished it with the said cream - lovely sheen on it now. Gonna get a black scratchplate and see how that looks before I start sticking screws in my pride and joy.

The guitar is awesome - as I say, it's my first Gibson - what a difference I can feel and hear - Wow!!

Best thing is - for you folks the UK - I got it for £419 new and there are still some 2013 models available at - http://www.dv247.com...y-satin--103349 - this web page. There were 2 cherry and some other colours - the cherry are the cheapest - the others are from £449 to £499 I think

Mick - the miller

I acquired this particular guitar at the North Attleboro (Massachusetts) Guitar Center. I do believe they had put it on display the day I got it because it was a "newly released" model at that time. Nice guitar indeed.smile.gif

I acquired this particular guitar at the North Attleboro (Massachusetts) Guitar Center. I do believe they had put it on display the day I got it because it was a "newly released" model at that time. Nice guitar indeed.smile.gif

I haven't tried one, but I did try an LPJ pro at a Guitar Center. I came close to getting it, but the coil taps didn't impress me too much. Otherwise, great guitar. I decided on the 2014 LPJ instead. Don't regret it a bit.

The first picture- it came up quite well using Rothko and Frost burnishing cream - I wish it had more variation in grain colour and had been a little darker to start with, oh well!. Next I fit the black scratch plate. Not yet sure about the black pickup covers - I'd have preferred chrome!

I've added another pic so the first has had to be deleted - I've reached my limit of 500 kb - I dunno how to get round that maybe someone could inform me - anyway have posted another pic with pickguard .

Mick

OK i hope this works.

http://s46.photobuck...illa/slideshow/

Hope you enjoy as much as i did modding it.

Pickups: 57 Classic and Angus Young Signature ( i like it more that way, but if i find two backplates i will replace the plastic cover with some nickel ones so i can experiment a bit with different combos)

Gibson Bell: Historic 61 ( Yeah i know it was on SG´s but i love it on my LPJ)

OK i hope this works.

http://s46.photobuck...illa/slideshow/

Hope you enjoy as much as i did modding it.

Pickups: 57 Classic and Angus Young Signature ( i like it more that way, but if i find two backplates i will replace the plastic cover with some nickel ones so i can experiment a bit with different combos)

Gibson Bell: Historic 61 ( Yeah i know it was on SG´s but i love it on my LPJ)

Nice LPJ, man. I like the mods. It's a good look for your guitar. I thought about changing the knobs on my guitar, too. How did you take the stock one off without breaking the pots?

The first picture- it came up quite well using Rothko and Frost burnishing cream - I wish it had more variation in grain colour and had been a little darker to start with, oh well!. Next I fit the black scratch plate. Not yet sure about the black pickup covers - I'd have preferred chrome!

Mick

Mhhhh....shiny! Look´s great.

Mick

I like the shine on your LPJ. I've thought about doing the same on mine. I like the cherry finish. A black pickguard will look good on it.

*** VERY INTERESTING ***

I think it is safe to say that the LP Junior and the LPJ are not one in the same.

I went to the home page of MF, searched for 'Gibson LPJ' and this is what came up (link below).

Why would someone seemingly equate the two different models? Error? Any other thoughts?

========================> Les Paul Junior or LPJ?

That is very interesting. The LPJ from what I understand isn't a Les Paul junior. I don't why the LPJs would pop up on MF under a Les Paul junior search.

Exactly, 'bro...but is it being purposely implied or is it simply a mix-up? I guess time may tell, or not!

Also of late, across some popular Gibson authorized retailers' sites, Gib seemed to 'streamline' and likewise

improve consistency with the descriptions of the '14 line-up, which is a good thing and was very well done (for the most part).

Maybe they'll clear that up. I guess the LPJ could possibly be a 'modern' junior. The Melody Maker isn't quite true to the original spec, either.

Archived