Gibson Brands Forums

your opinion J35 versus j15

kelly campbell

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted J-15 but both are very nice at first I thought I'd get a J-35 because all the J-35s sounded better to me and Then I played a J-15 at Guitar Center that just blew me away and then I seen a J-15 on line at AMS with very nice woods and took a chance and it sounds just as good as the one I played

This is not an easy one! Today I was able to play a J15, J35, and J45TV at the same dealer.

Between those two, I just like the lighter and livelier build quality of the J-35's I've come across. Also, I prefer slightly chunkier necks so the 35 has that as well. I'm not a huge fan of the all blonde look, but they always seem a bit more alive to me than the 15's. You cannot go wrong with either... both are amazing guitars for the money and even though a slightly heavier guitar, the 15's are often spectacularly beautiful with their walnut and can have just as sweet a tone.

I've been on the cusp of getting a particular 35... the only problem is... I tried out the 45TV...

Hi Jjunk,

As you are aware, the sound of a guitar is subjective, one man's meat is another man's poison, but in my opinion the J-15 beats the J-35 hands down. I bought a J-15 yesterday after looking for "the right one" for several months. I even played the same guitar twice in one store, the first time, that guitar left me cold, the second time it was completely different far better but still not the one.

When I did find one that I liked, it was a difficult decision because they had an equally good J-45, neither guitar was better, they were just different. They also had a J-35 and it just wasn't in the same ballpark to me, having said that Robert Plant's guitar player seems to rave about the J-35:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-SKew_dxc

I think you need to try individual guitars, they really are all different. I hope I haven't confused the issue even more!

Ian

I voted J15. Not because it's better, but because I've got one and have played it quite-a-bit. I bought it because it sounds very strong and I hadn't owned a walnut guitar for many years and already have several mahogany and rosewood guitars. I find it easily playable and easy-on-the-eyes. Really a top-shelf instrument. To my ears it sounded better than the J35's I played. However, keep in mind that was to "my ears." There are a great many J35 owners who will tell you the same thing about their guitars.......Don't get caught-up in a trend. Get the guitar that you feel a connection with. Both of these models are sweet instruments.

I voted J15. Not because it's better, but because I've got one and have played it quite-a-bit. I bought it because it sounds very strong and I hadn't owned a walnut guitar for many years and already have several mahogany and rosewood guitars. I find it easily playable and easy-on-the-eyes. Really a top-shelf instrument. To my ears it sounded better than the J35's I played. However, keep in mind that was to "my ears." There are a great many J35 owners who will tell you the same thing about their guitars.......Don't get caught-up in a trend. Get the guitar that you feel a connection with. Both of these models are sweet instruments.

I feel the same about the walnut..I too have a couple Mahogany and a rosewood body.. I am planning on going back a few more times before I decide but you guys always bring up great points...thanks

I am undecided so I am curious of what you folks who have checked them out think about it and why...thanks

This link has been posted before, but here is another video of Skin Tyson playing a J-35. His guitar obviously sounds great. But obviously Tyson can make any guitar sound pretty good.

I voted J15.

I have a J35 and I am pretty happy with this one.

Well - I had to make some changes - the plastic nut, saddle and pins are now bone.

The L.R.Baggs is gone and now there is a K&K Triniti Mini System inside.

I changed the truss rod cover too.

If in that moment I bought my J35 there was a J15 in the shop I probably would buy the J15.

Because of its sound.

Of course I would make the same changes - nut, saddle, pins, pickup, truss rod cover, but ...

Truth is that the purchase of my J35 was emotional...

If I had to concider once again now in that moment (and from now one) I would buy a J45.

Said.

Sorry for the duplication, I scrolled down and looked but did not see it I also thought I looked on the prior page..please excuse the oversight

No problem at all, just thought you might be able to get some good info from that thread. As for the question at hand, I was quite intrigued by the use of walnut & purchased a J-15 early on via the internet (wanted to give one a test spin, but they were not yet in stores). It turned out to be a keeper, with what I would describe as a broader and punchier tone than the J-35s I had played. I would say mine veers more towards the tone of maple, as opposed to rosewood or mahogany - and that happens to be a good match for the fingerstyle stuff I play 90% of the time.

No problem at all, just thought you might be able to get some good info from that thread. As for the question at hand, I was quite intrigued by the use of walnut & purchased a J-15 early on via the internet (wanted to give one a test spin, but they were not yet in stores). It turned out to be a keeper, with what I would describe as a broader and punchier tone than the J-35s I had played. I would say mine veers more towards the tone of maple, as opposed to rosewood or mahogany - and that happens to be a good match for the fingerstyle stuff I play 90% of the time.

I did go back and got more good info..thanks I think I am leaning towards the 15 but I think I will end up changing the pickguard to the tiger stripe.

This link has been posted before, but here is another video of Skin Tyson playing a J-35. His guitar obviously sounds great. But obviously Tyson can make any guitar sound pretty good.

Geeez... that doesn't even sound like a guitar, let alone a J-35. But then the Baggs Element has that effect, along with whatever he's running it through. Yikes.

DC

...and it's J-35 pulling away in the final turn. Fans are on the edge of their seats, cheering wildly. =D>

[smile] [smile]

By the way I noticed that you have a Wecther I was hoping to get one some day but was surprised to hear he closed up the factory/shop...I live about 40 miles from there and Sweetwater and used to enjoy trying them out. Do you like yours?

Archived