Gibson Brands Forums

Hey P90 Lover

Twang Gang

I know a lot of you guys like the P90s and the LP juniors.

Just got an email ad from Sweetwater a TV yellow LP junior special with two P90 on sale for $998. Seemed like a pretty good deal so just thought I would let you know. Labor day Sale special. [thumbup]

I know a lot of you guys like the P90s and the LP juniors.

Just got an email ad from Sweetwater a TV yellow LP junior special with two P90 on sale for $998. Seemed like a pretty good deal so just thought I would let you know. Labor day Sale special. [thumbup]

just when I thought my GAS was cured.............thanks a lot......lol.

NHTom

touché

It's true though. Most people are dissapointed with P90's because they don't sound like Leeds because it has been basically illegal to play that loud for a long time!

My last band was sick loud. All guys my age, we all laughed because as loud as we were on up through 2003/4, we weren't even close to what we did when we were all kids in the 70's. THAT was when P90's sounded good!

rct

I love P-90's. They really cut thru the mix in a band for lead solos and have a unique sound unto their own. Everyone should own at least one Gibson with P-90s. [thumbup]

Re: Sweetwater

Out of my last two orders I have waited an extraordinary amount of time for my items to arrive. I cancelled my first order and purchased the item elsewhere. On my second order - over 9 days had passed after my order and when I inquired about the delay in receiving my item, I was told they were not expecting it now until sometime into the first week of September, I asked him if I could go ahead and cancel that order as Musicians Friend had the item in stock and I could have my project completed well before Sweetwater would receive their expected shipment.

What I got was an angry condescending response from this "sales engineer" and a response that indicated he would not cancel the order. I was not expecting that and I did not appreciate it. I thought about it for a few hours and then I called their bank and closed out my Sweetwater Credit Card (had a zero balance on it anyway) so that when the item finally did arrive they could no longer put through any new charges to me since I closed that account. I then replied to the "sales engineer" and told him not to contact me any further. Then I contacted customer service to cancel the order and advised them to unsubscribe me from receiving emails from them and that I wanted no further catalogs either.

I don't like being talked down to especially when I'm trying to give someone money. I have dealt with Sweetwater over a number of years and I'm certain not everyone there is like this guy, but what should have been an easy online purchase turned into an experience that left a bad taste in my mouth and I will not do business with them again. I'm not inferring in any way whatsoever that others should or should not continue to do business with them - just that I won't do any further business with them. Thankfully there's plenty of online merchants so we can all buy from who we choose to.

Everyone rock out and have a great day [thumbup]

Bummer Rev, sorry to hear that. I had a bad experience with them and I haven't bought from them since. I would I guess, I just haven't had to.

I do love P90s too. I haven't owned a guitar with them for a few years now, but I'm in no hurry to find one either.

rct

It's true though. Most people are dissapointed with P90's because they don't sound like Leeds because it has been basically illegal to play that loud for a long time!

My last band was sick loud. All guys my age, we all laughed because as loud as we were on up through 2003/4, we weren't even close to what we did when we were all kids in the 70's. THAT was when P90's sounded good!

rct

I like your style. The recent craze with small, low wattage amps has not impressed me. I want to feel the guitar as well as hear it.

I like your style. The recent craze with small, low wattage amps has not impressed me. I want to feel the guitar as well as hear it.

I think it's a big part of the last decade or two of the "tone chase". They don't know that the sounds they are trying to get came out of two or three 100 watt heads driving 16 twelves moving acres of air across ones flapping CheapJeans. It doesn't matter what the low watt guys say, you can't get that in yer bedroom. Yer house. Backyard up on a flatbed maybe, but that's about it these days. I feel priviledged and very lucky to have lived through those days and the incredibly stupid things we did, but MAN it sounded good!

Feeling the interactions between your pickups and all of those speakers was a really big part of it all. Just keeping the friggin thing quiet is something of a soon to be lost artform.

But. Big But. Times, things, and people change. Most of us are lucky we can even still hear. Bars and smaller venues haven't wanted that for a long time now, so it was inevitable that it stop. It's good, the new folks have and will come up with new and better ways to do things until they too are replaced by the next thing.

rct

But. Big But. Times, things, and people change. Most of us are lucky we can even still hear. Bars and smaller venues haven't wanted that for a long time now, so it was inevitable that it stop.

rct

Yep - I have been offered a JCM 800 and Quad at a silly price but have yet to buy purely because it seems a shame not to be able to use it. Gigs see my 2 Fender combos on about 4-5 volume and we get a few complaints (and some compliments [biggrin]) for being the loudest band at local pub/club venues so what use a Marshall these days... I have good neighbours but still. Sad, but reality (for me at least).

I think the weakness to "the big noise" of my own youth is that it wasn't distributed in the venue well. As RCT noted, it's a miracle a lot of us ain't deaf as a stone. And that goes for country music as well as rock.

I really noticed the difference when I was in a country house band gig and we could mess with where we put our PA speakers. Mind you, this is back pre-1975. When we had 'em right up there with the amps, going pretty hard, folks kept away from the bandstand. When we moved 'em out and messed with where they were pointed in that venue, you could tell folks were more comfortable and were dancing right up by the bandstand, put in requests more often (which helps keep a house band employed), etc. The amps and PA actually were at about the same volumes, but messing a bit with how the sound hit folks did make a difference.

As for P90s in general... I got a Guitar Center email ad for the 2-pup flattop LP version with P90s at $90. Granted, a bolt-on neck, etc., but I doggone near went for one. Alas, I just ordered something else at 6 times the price.

m

The loudest amp setup I ever played through was this monster Orange OR80 stack. Not to mention it was the heaviest amp I ever took to a gig. It could only be used (effectively) at outdoor gigs and people a half a block away said they could feel their ribcage vibrating. I paid $2500 for it used and sold it for $2500 after gigging with it for almost 2 years. These are great sounding monsters but if I had kept it any longer I would be deaf now. [crying]

IMG_5498.jpg

Archived