Gibson Brands Forums

how does one buy a Gibson acoustic Pickguard?

kelly campbell

They don't want people putting a Hummingbird pickguard on a cheap, non-Gibson guitar, for example. If you need to order a replacement for a Gibson that you own, you can do it through any authorized Gibson dealer.

thanks...I have heard that before but isn't it kinda weak??? I mean you can buy them other places and they loose money. So if I order one from terripan and put it on or someone else they are out the money...stupid in my opinion..also hypothetically lets say I had ordered a hummingbird through them and took it to my local tech and said put it on this non gibson do they think the person would not?? no they are going to put it on so it really does not stop and I am not trying to argue with you just thinking that it does not make sense to me...why do they sell the LP guards? Just my opinion but it seems Gibson misses the boat on items like that and collectables, clothing and other items that the other three big american manufactures have on their sites. Gibson sells very little other items and I think they could add to their wallets by expanding their catalogue. While I am on my soapbox I think if you buy a gibson there should be a gift card in the deal for you to go in and pick up a Gibson tee shirt I mean come on you pay a decent amount for these guitars and they could afford it. Sorry to rant but I would rather put gibson products on my guitar and Taylor or Martin on those as well...

Gibson has been notorious in not wanting to spend a lot of money for Gibson Acoustic accessories. There are some available for the electric line. Yes, you can get an after market acoustic pickguard but it's not going to be exactly the same (shape, materials, color). Gibson has gone after many after market dealers who have tried to copy their designs, especially in the after market truss rod business. I don't disagree with you that the items would sell but it's just something that Gibson has never wanted to get into. There's also been many past threads on this forum about this same thing and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't mind seeing some Gibson Acoustic gear.

Gibson has been notorious in not wanting to spend a lot of money for Gibson Acoustic accessories. There are some available for the electric line. Yes, you can get an after market acoustic pickguard but it's not going to be exactly the same (shape, materials, color). Gibson has gone after many after market dealers who have tried to copy their designs, especially in the after market truss rod business. I don't disagree with you that the items would sell but it's just something that Gibson has never wanted to get into. There's also been many past threads on this forum about this same thing and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't mind seeing some Gibson Acoustic gear.

OK well I won't rant anymore I was just curious if I was the only one or if I am nuts...of course those who know me would agree with the latter [smile] thanks

I once ordered a pickguard for one of my Gibbys that had become severely scratched from playing the crap out of it from the music store in Bozeman. I can't remember the name of the store, sorry! But it's the one right up the street from the Gibson plant. The salesman "Blaze" told me that since they were an authorized dealer, they could get any PG I wanted. I guess Gibson Acoustic parts can be bought, just through a dealership.

Larry, that's partially true. I'm pretty sure it has to be a direct replacement for a Gibson acoustic guitar that you own and they will usually ask you to return the old one to show that you do own one. As an example, I don't think you could buy a Hummingbird pickguard to put on a J-45.

I ordered from Terrapin. On their website. I wanted to change the guard and the order an hour after I submitted it online. I tried for one week, via emails AND phone calls with Terrapin, to get them to respond to the change I wanted in my order. They not one time answered my phone messages or email, acknowledged my order. I put it in paypal dispute, and after a week, paypal refunded my purchase.

I ordered my guard from ebay, and it is better than advertised.

I am weighing in just to help the OP save the aggravation I had trying to give Terrapin the order.

I ordered from Terrapin. On their website. I wanted to change the guard and the order an hour after I submitted it online. I tried for one week, via emails AND phone calls with Terrapin, to get them to respond to the change I wanted in my order. They not one time answered my phone messages or email, acknowledged my order. I put it in paypal dispute, and after a week, paypal refunded my purchase.

I ordered my guard from ebay, and it is better than advertised.

I am weighing in just to help the OP save the aggravation I had trying to give Terrapin the order.

I have to agree with Sal about Terrapin. I two decided to add a PG to my LG2 - and went thru them - It has been almost 3 1/2 weeks with only a very short email stating how busy they are. I should of had it this week - but no-show - I asked for a refund - still waiting to hear something?

I have had great service from Terrapin even when I had a change done on the radius on my last order, I was able to catch them before it shipped and they had no problem changing it for me, of course it added another 3 days before shipping out. Mary Newell stayed in contact with me through the whole process.

Mary Newell

Terrapin Guitars

mary@terrapinguitars.com

541-461-0877

I once ordered a pickguard for one of my Gibbys that had become severely scratched from playing the crap out of it from the music store in Bozeman. I can't remember the name of the store, sorry! But it's the one right up the street from the Gibson plant. The salesman "Blaze" told me that since they were an authorized dealer, they could get any PG I wanted. I guess Gibson Acoustic parts can be bought, just through a dealership.

That'd be Music Villa. Home also to The Acoustic Letter and Tony Polecastro.

I have had great service from Terrapin

My experience with Terrapin was also very positive. I received email notifications when the order was received, being built, and shipped (with tracking number). It was shipped USPS-priority, and received the next day.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived