Gibson Brands Forums

Have J-45 Standards changed over the last 10-15 years?

Jjunk

Hi all. I'm curious, has the Standard J-45 model had significant spec changes made to it over the last 10-15 years? I'm asking because I've fallen in love with a particular used model I played (owner says it's a 2006, serial seems to suggest it's a 2004). It is definitely a Standard, but has the small white button individual tuners. I'm most interested in recent used models as they're more affordable, and wondering if there are any time periods to keep my eye out for... thanks!

I can never remember what came first, Modern Classic or Historic Collection (they were both before the contemporary black nut Standard).

Yours is one of the 2 first - and could very well be totally different than fx a 2010-11-12 Std.

Okay, not like Jones junior and Smith junior, but like siblings, , , and not twins at all.

My pales Historic and my Std. are like that. His much more feminine - mine muddier, louder/bassier and less elegant in the response.

The basic J-45 hasn't changed enough to be concerned about at all in the past 15 years. If you find one that really grabs you then just get it, don't be concerned about 'good years' in that timeframe at all, and just enjoy it.

Gibson introduced the devision between standard called modern classic and TV's models in , what 2007?! Before that there were just standard j-45 sometimes named early j-45, others historic collection, but they were basically all the same guitar.

Before the mcs were introduced j-45 had white button tuner and no mop logo. If they were built different is one of gibsons secrets. When my was in in for a set up the last time, the guy said my 2005 hc model is lighter built than nowadays standards. I don't know if that is true, they were definitive not as lightly built as nowadays TV models. But in my book, all these pre 2007 guitars are just really great guitars overall.

My good friends Historic Collection is clearly lighter than my 2010 Std. And it's not only the difference between the white ovals and the steel-mill Grovers.

As said, those two acoustics are generally various nuances of the color called J-45.

My response to the original question would be > not much.

Fifteen year ago would be 1999, which is the year Gibson's acoustic lineup changed significantly in the direction of highlighting their most historically successful models. This remains their formula, just with a wider variety of tweaks to the popular models.

Many stellar instruments were produced in the early 2000s, and imho, anything from that era is well worth trying out.

Archived