Gibson Brands Forums

fatal mistake

kelly campbell

Well I am in the process of trying to decide between a J15 and a J35 I drove an hour today to Sam Ash and Guitar Center to do a test drive..well I visited SA first and just tried out the two but it was so noisy I could not hear real well but they both felt pretty good, then I went to GC and did the same and they felt about the same then came my fatal mistake I pulled down the J45 and that was a game changer...I had not planned on spending that much and I still am a couple months away from actually buying anything but now I am leaning to the 45 I had never tried one before... I LIKE IT....I am sure my wife will be thrilled :)

Yep, that happens. This is exactly the reason I will no longer shop for a Hummingbird, last time i did I ended up buying the Jackson Browne, which was, of course, a lot more expensive. Get the J-45, you'll never regret it. Just scrape together a few more nickels over a little more time.

Yep, that happens. This is exactly the reason I will no longer shop for a Hummingbird, last time i did I ended up buying the Jackson Browne, which was, of course, a lot more expensive. Get the J-45, you'll never regret it. Just scrape together a few more nickels over a little more time.

I agree I do not think I will regret it at all...Plus i really like the look..I do believe my mind is made up but I will make about four or five more test runs before I pull the trigger but it certainly is nice....and the reason I had never tried one is that I have not had a great deal of luck in feeling comfortable with Gibsons but today was different.

kc, Gibson acoustics are "an acquired taste". The fatal mistake was realizing that! Now, you've been bitten and there is no cure.. The J45 is the most widely seen, and recognized, of the line. For many, buying a guitar is a rare event, and you may wind up keeping hat guitar a good, long time. For that reason, I feel it is always worth considering stretching your budget a little further so you have one that has the depth of character to become a keeper, as opposed to a commodity. G'Luck!

kc, Gibson acoustics are "an acquired taste". The fatal mistake was realizing that! Now, you've been bitten and there is no cure.. The J45 is the most widely seen, and recognized, of the line. For many, buying a guitar is a rare event, and you may wind up keeping hat guitar a good, long time. For that reason, I feel it is always worth considering stretching your budget a little further so you have one that has the depth of character to become a keeper, as opposed to a commodity. G'Luck!

I love it though...Thanks for the encouragement

OK, this is about electric guitars, next to all solidbodies, but in my life have been some fatal mistakes of that kind over the years. Most of these incidents happened during the 1980s. After having become "infected", it took me decades of "incubation time" to afford some of the guitars I need, mostly for tonal reasons. There also are some piezo'd solidbodies, some with Floyd Rose vibratos, some including both these features.

Fortunately all of my electric "amps" and effects are emulated, so I just operate one small digital stack for the magnetic pickups, and one acoustic guitar amplifier for piezo tones and/or pure magnetic sounds as well.

well I thought my hunt for either the j15 or j35 would take me a couple or three months...I was wrong because after I tried the 45 it was over and as of tonight it is over officially..I bought a J45..and i love it...ahhhh there is nothing like walking around the rest of the night with a mental erection...LOL I love it

No nothing I actually am not being fair to my wife when I make comments like I did she is extremely passive and never gives me too hard of a time about anything I am fortunate..and I know it....in the last three months I have bought 4 guitars and she just kinda looks at me like "are you crazy"...which I am...

well I thought my hunt for either the j15 or j35 would take me a couple or three months...I was wrong because after I tried the 45 it was over and as of tonight it is over officially..I bought a J45..and i love it...ahhhh there is nothing like walking around the rest of the night with a mental erection...LOL I love it

Now the great string search can commence ! Enjoy your new 45 - I really have to say it is the most fun I've had since I learned to play.

Did you already bring her home? This would be a reason for posting some pics... [love][rolleyes]

In all honesty I can say in 50+ years some of the worst mistakes I ever made were selling or trading guitars. But nary a mistake to be had when it comes to bringing one into the house. Every one of them brought a smile to my face.

I agree...I really meant that I was muddying the water by trying it because I was having a tough time trying to decide between the 15 and 35 and then throwing in another option was gonna make it even harder But in the end it really did make it a lot easier....I am really diggin the 45 newby

I always use this excuse - A holday will come and go and all you have are the photos - a few expensive meals once eaten are past - a night out with friends, although great, will be just a memory in a few weeks. This here guitar will get you as much as I paid for it in a few years time - it's an investment! - It never really works for me - but you're welcome to try it!!

Mick

I always use this excuse - A holday will come and go and all you have are the photos - a few expensive meals once eaten are past - a night out with friends, although great, will be just a memory in a few weeks. This here guitar will get you as much as I paid for it in a few years time - it's an investment! - It never really works for me - but you're welcome to try it!!

Mick

good thoughts...thanks I bought the j45

You cannot go wrong with a J45. Tremendous instrument. I've often bought guitars like you did. I go in there with my mind set on a particular guitar and come home with something different. When I bought my J45 I went to GC to specifically buy a J165. They had two of them and I really like them, but the J45 had just arrived and I played it out of curiosity. When a guitar literally says your name, you can't deny what you've heard.....Congrats on what's likely the sweetest guitar around. Can't beat a J45.

You cannot go wrong with a J45. Tremendous instrument. I've often bought guitars like you did. I go in there with my mind set on a particular guitar and come home with something different. When I bought my J45 I went to GC to specifically buy a J165. They had two of them and I really like them, but the J45 had just arrived and I played it out of curiosity. When a guitar literally says your name, you can't deny what you've heard.....Congrats on what's likely the sweetest guitar around. Can't beat a J45.

Thanks I am enjoying it

Archived