Gibson Brands Forums

1985 SG Special 400

daakins

Few questions:

What are the neck scales of LPs, SGs and Explorers?

I may be getting an 85 SG Special 400. The one I am getting is Ferrari Red, and it has a Explorer headstock. It's got the Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock. Apparently from what I was told, they only made 12 of these guitars. I don't know if it's true or not, but I just want to know if anyone can offer me details about those guitars.

It looks like this guitar, exact model, but replace the headstock with an Explorer, and the color of course!

http://everythingsg.com/identify/sg_special_400.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Ok, I'm no expert and I can't help you. But there are people in here that might give you some information. They probably will ask you for the serial number and a better picture of the back of the headstock. By the way, what's it saying in the Yeallow letters in the back of the headstock? (just curious)

AND there is always Gibson Customer Service e-mail at your service. I would mail the guys with the pictures and serial number. They usually are prompt to help and might have some good information for you.

AND perhaps you could mail everythingsg.com right? They might have useful information as well.

I hope this can give you at least some directions.

Regards

• 7 years later...

did you ever buy this? or what became of the SG?

I already have a special 400 with normal headstock, and would love to add this one to my collection.

Few questions:

What are the neck scales of LPs, SGs and Explorers?

I may be getting an 85 SG Special 400. The one I am getting is Ferrari Red, and it has a Explorer headstock. It's got the Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock. Apparently from what I was told, they only made 12 of these guitars. I don't know if it's true or not, but I just want to know if anyone can offer me details about those guitars.

It looks like this guitar, exact model, but replace the headstock with an Explorer, and the color of course!

http://everythingsg....special_400.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Archived