Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom VOS - Ebony - Bigsby

Rabs

Hmmm.. im so much more a fan of the silver hardware than the usual gold found on Ebony guitars... Way out of my price range (as usual) but man that's a nice looking guitar [thumbup]

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_les_paul_custom_vos_ebony_bigsby.asp

The pickups are Gibson's 490R in the neck position, which offers the tonal characteristics of the original PAFs, and the 498T in the bridge position, which swaps the the 490R's Alnico II magnet for an Alnico V, thus making it slightly hotter with emphasis on mid-ranges and highs. Other appointments include Gibson-s legendary Nashville Tune-O-Matic bridge, multi-ply white and black binding on both the top and back, Nickel hardware and a 1 11/16th nut width.

GIBLPCRWEUVOEBNB102_zps6b715923.jpg

GIBLPCRWEUVOEBNB105_zps893564d2.jpg

GIBLPCRWEUVOEBNB111_zps221d897b.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Rosewood board on a Custom shop? Very authentic. Yuk.

I think Gibson are as good as done with ebony. The custom will either cease to exist or always come with something else in the very near future imho. Perhaps they'll start dying baked Mae left some people on here have...

According to the specs, the board is ebony. With Gibson's penchant for errors in their spec sheets, that may or may not be true. And these days there's no way to tell what species of ebony is being used - some have fairly light colored variations in the graining. Without taking a look, it's a crap shoot. I looked at all the specimens over at Wildwood - overall the board wood looks to be ebony.

Nice.

I caught this Wildwood exclusive limited run (25) of Lightly Aged Black Beauty '57 Les Paul Customs - Custom Buckers and ebony fretboard. If you're into the 'aged' looked, very cool.

I'm not really down with the "Lightly Aged" thing. It looks fake. It's good to see some ebony, though, even if it's only on the $5,000 guitars.

Hopefully their ebony quota will go up next year. :unsure:

Hmmm.. im so much more a fan of the silver hardware than the usual gold found on Ebony guitars... Way out of my price range (as usual) but man that's a nice looking guitar [thumbup]

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_les_paul_custom_vos_ebony_bigsby.asp

The pickups are Gibson's 490R in the neck position, which offers the tonal characteristics of the original PAFs, and the 498T in the bridge position, which swaps the the 490R's Alnico II magnet for an Alnico V, thus making it slightly hotter with emphasis on mid-ranges and highs. Other appointments include Gibson-s legendary Nashville Tune-O-Matic bridge, multi-ply white and black binding on both the top and back, Nickel hardware and a 1 11/16th nut width.

GIBLPCRWEUVOEBNB102_zps6b715923.jpg

GIBLPCRWEUVOEBNB105_zps893564d2.jpg

GIBLPCRWEUVOEBNB111_zps221d897b.jpg

Interesting. The bridge is an ABR-1 to my eyes, not a Nashville, and compared to the look of the toggle switch nut, the hardware looks rather like chrome than nickel. I would like chrome over nickel, and nickel over gold though.

Archived