Gibson Brands Forums

Need opinions on a couple of local used guitars for sale

240SX

I need some opinions on a couple of used guitars that are local to me that I'm thinking about picking up. I might get both if the price is right but more than likely I'll just grab the one. I know that it all comes down to personal preference and feel but what I'm looking for is your opinion on the price, quality and possible rarity of the guitars. Thanks everyone.

I can get this Epiphone Custom Shop '67 Reissue Flying V for $400 CDN.

Epiphone Custom Shop '67 Reissue Flying V

And I can get this Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top Limited Edition for $300 CDN.

Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top Limited Edition

I know this isn't really an answer, but I'd say that these two are so different that it's almost comparing apples and oranges.

Both have cases - good.

I'd say that the LP would be far, far more versatile and ain't as costly. The P90s are a bit different and offer a different-from-humbucker sound.

Were I to have to buy one, it'd definitely be the LP for its versatility and ease of playing. Yeah, you can use a V for anything you wanna play, but it's basically a "stand up" guitar. For what it's worth, neither is my "schtick." When I was playing solidbodies the SG type always was my preference. Then semis.

If you're playing in a band you may be happy with either the V or the LP. If you're not, probably you'll find the LP a better overall compromise for whatever style of music you play. Those P90s on a "period" gold top should offer a nice sound.

m

This is interesting... just looked at the V and found the price to be 800 Dollars. [confused]

Despite of being rather into humbuckers than P90s, I have to say that the V is not a bargain. 800 looks a bit like collector's value.

300 for the GT LP seems more reasonable to me. I am biased though because I prefer GTs with natural backs like this one over dark backs and stop tailpieces over Bigsbys.

Thanks everyone, that's the opinions I was looking for. The V would be more of a collector/conversation piece to say I had one. Although, being a blues player and Albert King fan, it would be pretty sweet to have one. I think I'll pick up the gold top tomorrow and give the V a little extra thought. If I can swing both I`ll be a happy camper.

This is interesting... just looked at the V and found the price to be 800 Dollars. [confused]

Despite of being rather into humbuckers than P90s, I have to say that the V is not a bargain. 800 looks a bit like collector's value.

I spoke to him on his price and he agreed that he overpriced it. He said he`d come down to $400 CDN. It`s still a bit more than I`d like to pay but these are extremely rare around here.

No idea on the Epi...

You may get some ideas doing a search on ebay - or maybe somebody else here has a better idea. But with case? I personally don't care much for the LP, never have. But for $300 with a case? I'd still grab it.

m

I picked up the gold top today, man what a beautiful guitar with an amazing sound. I couldn't get over how much noise the p90 pups make though, other than that she's a beauty. I ran the serial number and it turns out she's a 1999 model. I also offered a trade for the flying V so I'm waiting to hear back on that one. Thanks for the opinions folks.

Archived