Gibson Brands Forums

The UPS Truck Arrived - UPDATED

PingPongBob

I've always considered a rosewood Telecaster the "Holy Grail" of Telecasters ever since seeing George Harrison playing one in Let It Be.

I can't afford $5500 or more for a chambered custom shop one, and I wouldn't spend that money on any guitar unless I made a living with it.

So here is my new project. Walnut solid body, rosewood top, rosewood neck and fretboard.

IMG_1192_zps416dc107.jpg

IMG_1194_zps42a56553.jpg

IMG_1196_zps96381a07.jpg

These photos don't do justice to the wood, since they are so washed out.

Wow.. NICE bit of wood there... That will finish AWESOME [thumbup] (look forward to seeing how this progresses)

So what sort of pups and finish do you have in mind?

You should get wooden control knobs.. that will look amazing :)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrosewood+guitar+knobs&_nkw=rosewood+guitar+knobs&_sacat=0

Thanks Rabs! :)

I ordered it with a satin finish and spent and extra $225 for it, but apparently Warmoth forgot to finish it. [-X I will be contacting them on Tuesday to get a the $225 back.

It will be a satin finish though.

I have a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups.

I'm sticking with vintage hardware except for tuners, since I already have them.

Black 3-ply pickguard and all chrome hardware.

Maybe someday I'll try something like you do, but for now this is going to be as big a "build" as I have on my list! :)

Can't wait to see how it finishes...that Rosewood top may give you some trouble. Rosewood is a very oily wood, so it's difficult to finish. There's a reason you don't see many Rosewood fretboards lacquered like maple ones!

Best of luck to you!

-Ryan

Can't wait to see how it finishes...that Rosewood top may give you some trouble. Rosewood is a very oily wood, so it's difficult to finish. There's a reason you don't see many Rosewood fretboards lacquered like maple ones!

Best of luck to you!

-Ryan

Thanks for the heads up Ryan. I'm not after anything glossy at all. I really just want a sealant.

Thanks for the heads up Ryan. I'm not after anything glossy at all. I really just want a sealant.

What you might want to do before you put your first coat on, is wipe the wood down with mineral spirits/naptha/acetone. Basically any solvent will work. It should evaporate any oils on the surface so the sealer coat will adhere better.

-Ryan

That's beautiful Lurch - can I ask where you purchased this from? I may give a go at something similar for a winter project. I don't have the patience that Rabs has so this might be the next best thing. [thumbup]

Oops - just saw warmouth when I opened up the picture [thumbup]

That's beautiful Lurch - can I ask where you purchased this from? I may give a go at something similar for a winter project. I don't have the patience that Rabs has so this might be the next best thing. [thumbup]

Oops - just saw warmouth when I opened up the picture [thumbup]

Thanks Rev!

Give it a go. That top wasn't hand picked (which they charge extra for) I just rolled the dice.

My only disappointment was that it had no finish that I paid for and I can't do anything with it until I do get a finish on it. [cursing]

Thanks Rev!

Give it a go. That top wasn't hand picked (which they charge extra for) I just rolled the dice.

My only disappointment was that it had no finish that I paid for and I can't do anything with it until I do get a finish on it. [cursing]

Yeah I read that - I think they're over charging for a satin finish but that's just me. The fact they charged that much then didn't do it is even worse. [cursing] Once you get your refund - I think you'll feel even more connected and satisfied once you finish the wood yourself.

Right now I'm still restoring that SG-Z I bought so I won't be ordering anything until that's done but I am going to go jump over to that warmouth website to see what all they got now. Can't wait to see more photos as you begin the process of finishing that gorgeous guitar! [thumbup]

Holy crap! I haven't looked at their site in years. I had no idea they had that kind of selection. Whoa! There's a ton of beautiful bodies & finishes in there! I saved it in my favorites so I can spend more time looking at everything when it's not so late at night. Thank you for posting this thread otherwise I wouldn't even have thought of looking at that site, Oh hell... I just drooled on myself [drool]

Holy crap! I haven't looked at their site in years. I had no idea they had that kind of selection. Whoa! There's a ton of beautiful bodies & finishes in there! I saved it in my favorites so I can spend more time looking at everything when it's not so late at night. Thank you for posting this thread otherwise I wouldn't even have thought of looking at that site, Oh hell... I just drooled on myself [drool]

Like you need another guitar...lol [flapper]

So here is my new project. Walnut solid body, rosewood top, rosewood neck and fretboard.

IMG_1192_zps416dc107.jpg

These photos don't do justice to the wood, since they are so washed out.

Twenty years ago I got a Schecter walnut Strat body that I built up. It has a very light finnish on it and it looks great! The one thing I did was make a maple pick guard that I put black dye on. You have to be in very good light to see the bit of flame in the guard but when I tried to do a more transparent dye job there was too much 'wood look' for me. The type of finishes and woods that can be used are endless!

Recently I did a refinish of my Strat, rewiring it to a more traditional scheme than I did twenty years ago… (Put all the active guts in a pedal!) In my internet wanderings I found this: LazrArt

This guy can put anything on the high quality neck plates. I drew my initials on my iPad and sent him a .png file. He got it on there with the words 'Custom Built' and an serial number of 001 for me. He worked with me via email to get exactly what I wanted and did mock ups for me to approve.

Good luck with your build. Twenty years later and my guitar has a great patina and still plays like a $3,000.00 guitar! You are going to love it!

Archived