Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-140

duluthdan

I thought there was an L-150 too in this series (but I've forgotten...), and the more common L-130 (in bubinga), and the fancy L-200 EmmyLou model too.

You don't see the L-140 too often.

This one sports some pretty nasty-looking cracks, though. Yikes!

Fred

L-130(Sitka/bubinga) , L-140 (Sitka/rosewood), L-150...a custom model to your specs. A unique Gibson creation. My L-130 has the Gibson growl, and incredibly....sustain! They all have the L, mini jumbo body...mustache bridge, 6 ply top, 4 ply bottom, center strip on back, abalone rosette, pearl fret markers, yadda, yadda....beautiful Gibson creation!..... Willie has the nut specs wrong......1,725>not 1.75! photo8.jpg

Being a big fan of smaller bodied acoustics, I played many of these back when they were being sold new. Never did connect with any of them. The ones I tried tended to have a sound I'd characterize as somewhat thin & stiff.

I'm sure there were & are some sweet ones out there, but I never ran across one.

Whats the difference between an L140 and a CJ165?

Seems a few cosmetic differences(less top and back binding) but it's an "L" body, you can get a cut out, electronics are different. I'd like to play a CJ165 and see if the body depth is the same.

Seems a few cosmetic differences(less top and back binding) but it's an "L" body, you can get a cut out, electronics are different. I'd like to play a CJ165 and see if the body depth is the same.

The body depth looks more but it is difficult to tell from a picture. I have a CJ165 nice guitar!

Archived