Gibson Brands Forums

Rhetorical question?

Razz

Why is it that in the musicians friend catalog pretty much every picture of a given product is an accurate depiction of it's current specs, but they continue to use a fourteen year old picture of our beloved Dot? I realize this may be trivial, but does this bother any other Dot lovers? I feel these are great guitars that have continued to improve as the years go by, why not print a photo that shows that? Body shape, bridge, tuners, all have changed since the taking of this photo at the turn of the century. Don't get me wrong, two of my Dots are from that time period and I love them just as much as my newer ones but this just irks me. Conspiracy? Marketing ploy? What gives? Just needed to vent to a group of folks that cares about such things...thanks for reading my rant :)

Updating the photos makes perfect sense, especially if they want happy customers.

Probably a combination of "reducing overhead" and "most won't recognize the difference anyway."

It is nice to have knowledgeable folks to point stuff like this out.

Makes me wonder about the pics of the Baritone SG I been drooling over.

I know for a fact that the newer style (MIC) and older style (MIK, Unsung) Sheraton IIs were built and offered at the same time, since my Unsung-Sherry is made 2012 and I've seen some 2013 examples.

Would be interesting to know, if they still produce Epis in Unsung and if they only made Sheratons in recent times or other models, too.

I think "we" had best begin to consider that the internet is NOT like a library, although it has some similar functions.

I've lost all sorts of links to historical pieces and data over the years, for example.

The "immediacy" crowd tends to ignore that. I'd add that I think some of the lost links, etc., that never are repaired may be a good thing if we learn that is the case. Otherwise... stuff just never existed - which is a concern nowadays given that we can remake history however we wish.

And I'm also somewhat concerned that when - notice I didn't say "if" - we get that anticipated solar storm, all this stuff will be wiped out.

Note that the solar storm of 1859 blew out most of what was run electrically even in that era. Although some telegraph was knocked out, other telegraph stations continued to transmit over landlines - even disconnected from batteries because the wires were so electrified from the storm. A storm of that magnitude was observed in 2012, but it missed the earth.

m

I think "we" had best begin to consider that the internet is NOT like a library, although it has some similar functions.

I've lost all sorts of links to historical pieces and data over the years, for example.

The "immediacy" crowd tends to ignore that. I'd add that I think some of the lost links, etc., that never are repaired may be a good thing if we learn that is the case. Otherwise... stuff just never existed - which is a concern nowadays given that we can remake history however we wish.

And I'm also somewhat concerned that when - notice I didn't say "if" - we get that anticipated solar storm, all this stuff will be wiped out.

Note that the solar storm of 1859 blew out most of what was run electrically even in that era. Although some telegraph was knocked out, other telegraph stations continued to transmit over landlines - even disconnected from batteries because the wires were so electrified from the storm. A storm of that magnitude was observed in 2012, but it missed the earth.

m

What about when the magnetic poles trade places?

What about when the magnetic poles trade places?

Neglectable compared to a magnetic solar burst. We are far from a "full-level" Earth magnetism at the moment, but it couldn't help against that, too.

However, neither solar bursts nor zero Earthly magnetic field would hurt DNA significantly. The atmosphere will be a sufficient shield. The nights won't be dark though since "polar lights" will appear 24/7 all around from the geographic poles to the equator.

Line power and any electrically conductive communication devices will be wiped out, and radio won't work periodically. Optical lines would still work and will survive in the end.

Thanks Cap...

I think folks don't want to hear about this sort of thing because we rely so much on all of our electronics.

Also, it's been over 150 years since out last full-out experience with this sort of thing. Even then, it was a major problem for the "high tech" of the telegraph.

I'm as guilty as anyone with reliance on my two laptops, work and home desktops and smartphone.

And that doesn't count pretty much the same "mix" that my wife has.

My worry too is that even my hard drive backups will be fried.

m

My worry too is that even my hard drive backups will be fried.

m

Optical media like CDs will be safe, but magnetic devices would have to be in the Benefield Anechoic Facility, dampening magnetic fields about over 100 dB:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefield_Anechoic_Facility

[scared]

More seriously, a very thoroughly built MU-metal security container should also do.

Neglectable compared to a magnetic solar burst. We are far from a "full-level" Earth magnetism at the moment, but it couldn't help against that, too.

However, neither solar bursts nor zero Earthly magnetic field would hurt DNA significantly. The atmosphere will be a sufficient shield. The nights won't be dark though since "polar lights" will appear 24/7 all around from the geographic poles to the equator.

Line power and any electrically conductive communication devices will be wiped out, and radio won't work periodically. Optical lines would still work and will survive in the end.

As long as it doesn't coincide with a catastrophic volcanic event.

Yellowstone is predicted to blow about every 600,000 to 800,000 years. Estimates are that it has been about 640,000 since the last. Hard drives would be the least of m's worries.

Krakatau is estimated to blow/vent every 25 years approximately.

Iceland is venting like an overheated car, which can be a very good thing, just as many small earthquakes will relieve pressure on a major fault line.

Human DNA would be okay but crops would be devastated as UV band would represent the bulk of light getting through.

Wait, wasn't this thread about pics on the Musician's Friend website?

Geologists are Rock Stars too!

As long as it doesn't coincide with a catastrophic volcanic event.

Yellowstone is predicted to blow about every 600,000 to 800,000 years. Estimates are that it has been about 640,000 since the last. Hard drives would be the least of m's worries.

Krakatau is estimated to blow/vent every 25 years approximately.

Iceland is venting like an overheated car, which can be a very good thing, just as many small earthquakes will relieve pressure on a major fault line.

Human DNA would be okay but crops would be devastated as UV band would represent the bulk of light getting through.

Wait, wasn't this thread about pics on the Musician's Friend website?

Geologists are Rock Stars too!

An erupting super volcano would cause an ice age. Billions of survivors would want to rush towards the equator within a short period of time. Wars and starvation would erase next to all of them then.

An erupting super volcano would cause an ice age. Billions of survivors would want to rush towards the equator within a short period of time. Wars and starvation would erase next to all of them then.

And when that happens, MF's catalog will still be using the same pics - guaranteed.

Yeahbut...

If Jellystone goes pop, the MF Salt Lake phone banks likely will be fried and... I'm also guessing their pix are digital so... likely outa business.

I figure I'd not last a day after a Jellystone event. If that. If the roof held, the dust turning to concrete in the lungs wouldn't be comfortable.

m

Cap...

And if Jellystone blows... It's gonna be an extinction event for a lotta species, cuz it'll make a regular volcanic eruption look like nothing. Of course, that assumes the degree of eruption it had the last time around.

I doubt that MF would be printing any more catalogs.

m

In 1815, the Tambora eruption covered the adjacent small island called Mojo with an ash layer of Plinian dimensions. Perhaps this is the reason why Mojo is still that intensely sought after? Maybe as a Phoenix from the Ashes? [rolleyes]

Tambora_volc.jpg

1815_tambora_explosion_B.png

And when about Plinius, here's the Tambora compared to the Vesuvius pictured on the same scale top right:

Tambora-Vesuv.jpg

Archived