Gibson Brands Forums

First jam since our tragedy in June

saturn

Some of you might remember my posting about my good friend and drummer Ed dropping dead in the middle of us jamming back on June 7. It was one of the worst nights of my life and a traumatic experience for us all.

But, life goes on and everyone agrees that Ed would want us to keep playing. The various band members wound up with most of Ed's music gear as his family wanted us to play it all in his memory. Of course I had to bring his R7 that I got. We began with a moment of silence, and then the jam was on. Our bass player brought an old friend of his who played drums in bands back in the late 70s and 80s. He was a little rusty as he hasn't played in a long time but eventually loosened up and started finding the groove. I think he'll work out. It turned out to be a great jam and rehearsal for a gig we have lined up in late September. We ended the night with a long, loud jam of "Sympathy For The Devil" which was the last song we played with Ed. There were actually some tears as we brought the song to it's finale.

If I believed such stuff, I would think he was up there jamming along with us.

Thanks guys.

Then today, I went to an estate sale at his house just to nose around. I picked this up for $3.00. I don't know how I missed it when we were getting stuff from his house earlier. It's from our old band's gig back in about 2004 or 2005. That's me with the white Strat and Ed on my left.

Eclipseposter1_zps73401cba.jpg

Some of you might remember my posting about my good friend and drummer Ed dropping dead in the middle of us jamming back on June 7. It was one of the worst nights of my life and a traumatic experience for us all.

But, life goes on and everyone agrees that Ed would want us to keep playing. The various band members wound up with most of Ed's music gear as his family wanted us to play it all in his memory. Of course I had to bring his R7 that I got. We began with a moment of silence, and then the jam was on. Our bass player brought an old friend of his who played drums in bands back in the late 70s and 80s. He was a little rusty as he hasn't played in a long time but eventually loosened up and started finding the groove. I think he'll work out. It turned out to be a great jam and rehearsal for a gig we have lined up in late September. We ended the night with a long, loud jam of "Sympathy For The Devil" which was the last song we played with Ed. There were actually some tears as we brought the song to it's finale.

As long as you feel his presence, he will be there. I feel it's all in your and your pals' spirit, and I believe Ed's spirit wants you to go on making music.

Thanks guys.

Then today, I went to an estate sale at his house just to nose around. I picked this up for $3.00. I don't know how I missed it when we were getting stuff from his house earlier. It's from our old band's gig back in about 2004 or 2005. That's me with the white Strat and Ed on my left.

Eclipseposter1_zps73401cba.jpg

Very nice keepsake. I think it will remind you of all the good times you spent with Ed.

Very cool of his family to keep his memory alive playing his gear, you were his mates and that means a lot. Sorry you lost your friend but at least he went doing something he loved to do. Keep rocking in his memory and im sure somewhere he is jamming right along with you.

Archived