Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 12 Selection

duane v

Yep, just the Songwriter Deluxe 12, excepting the vintage B series that are available. Being a 12 string fan, I've looked - been looking for the last three years. Only saw a couple, but they were already gone when I found their listing. Maybe a custom order if you don't mind parting with the loot. I wish you luck in the hunt.

IMO there are many worthy 12str acoustics other than Gibson... [biggrin]

I'm a big 12str fan...here are some alternatives

Taylor

Breedlove

Ovation

Yamaha

Takamine

Fender(cheap but very usable)

For live work the Ovation is difficult to fault...robust, amps well, onboard comp/EQ, very comfortable contoured back, big body for rich bass.

V

:-({|=

I wanted a Gibson 12 string but of course, the selections were just not there. I finally went with a Taylor. I hate to say this, but Taylor has it cornered for the 12 string sound. I love it. It has the Expression II although I don't use it. I don't play professionally. But don't discount the Taylor line. I'm still a Gibson girl but I do love the Taylor.

I wanted a Gibson 12 string but of course, the selections were just not there. I finally went with a Taylor. I hate to say this, but Taylor has it cornered for the 12 string sound. I love it. It has the Expression II although I don't use it. I don't play professionally. But don't discount the Taylor line. I'm still a Gibson girl but I do love the Taylor.

Taylor does make nice acoustic geetars, but for some reason the Gibson's have the best sound balance to my ears, and respond so well to finger placement tone when I'm picking. I'm heading down to GC today to play a 12 string Gibby SongWriter to make sure I can be happy with the ol girl, then buy one used..... And like you I'm a Gibby guy, and it takes a pretty impressive geetar for me to purchase a different brand.

Duane...

There's no question I'm a "nut" on AE guitars. I've also played 12s off and on since the spring of '64.

All of my flattops are AE except a cheapie 12 I picked up in a pawn shop for almost nothing - and installed a mag soundhole pup and back-blocked jack so I wouldn't have the nasty "a strap doesn't work well at all on an endpin jack." Then again, it's a laminate so I didn't feel all that guilty anyway.

My first AEs were back about '73 when I got two Ovations that were the first "real" AE piezo guitars. I still use them occasionally although it's a pain since I have guitars and amps at three locations. My only objections to the first generation Ovation AEs are that they lack a tone control and that it's a pain to replace the battery. The steel string works quite well as an acoustic for "old time" and the nylon has done fingerstyle jazz quite well even in an outdoor setting through a board and a bit of "top" knocked off the output. It ain't a Hauser or Ramirez, but it sounded fine.

The reason I mention those experiences is kinda complex, but so's buying a 12 string because it's so much a more complex instrument than a 6 because of the different stresses on a flattop. Elderly Instruments have had several decent ones in their "as is" for example with bridge problems.

1. Ovation has had some "top" problems, but I've not heard too many problems with the 12. A 1970s student of mine used her Ovation 12 on stage for a number of years in the early '80s I recall. She didn't use it that I could tell on her Warner records that I could figure from the sound. The necks seem pretty decent to me, but that's also to me a pretty personal "feel" thing. Also some folks have problems with the rounded back.

2. I think that adding a mag or even some sort of piezo to a proven solid 12 is not a bad decision. My cheapie 12 can sound pretty "acoustic" or, with a bit of messing with the amp and techniques, pretty "electric." Frankly I think it sounds better than a "board" electric 12 I used in the late '70s. I don't know how active you are on stage, but putting a shaped wood block to have a jack placed more as on an ES175 isn't a bad option. I'd also ensure it's placed for relatively easy seated playing, as I did.

3. To me, any guitar is a matter of "feel." It feels comfortable and easier to play, or it doesn't. A 12 does require quite a bit different technique depending also on its size, especially if you play a lotta barre chords as I tend to do. "Tone" is pretty personal, but I guess I personally consider that secondary to "feel."

4. Taylors have that bolt-on neck that makes them easier (and cheaper) to mess with the neck if there's a reset need. That same thing tends to off-put me on Taylors, but the closest guitar store to me dropped Gib/Martin and now actively promotes Taylors heavily because of the bolt-on and local climate conditions. Kottke used one, but reeeeally dropped the pitch to C# and often in open tunings.

5. Tunings? Personally on my 2 12 string flattops (I don't have a 12-electric) I dropped the tuning to D but otherwise standard tuning on the solid top AE. I use Kyser capo to bring it to standard. The cheapie with the lam top and soundhole mag pup I left at standard and it has survived well - better than most flattop 12s.

Good luck with the Songwriter 12. But I'd try some other necks too... Then again, I freely admit to being a neck freak.

m

Thankyou 'm' for sharing experience and knowledge...

Always good hereon to counter the 'it must be a Gibson' school of thought... [thumbup]

And a very important point raised...neck stability on a 12 string... :blink:

My Taylor 12 has recently benefited from a re-set neck

Thank goodness it was easily possible via the 'bolt on' facility

Things like ambient humidity become critical when dealing with 12 strings (IMX)

My Yamaha 12, an excellent guitar in many respects, also had to be rebuilt at some cost due to neck issues...

So I guess a Gibson 12 will at some stage require some surgery... :-({|=

The critical time seems to be 1-2 years after purchasing a new instrument...as woods have settled and sometimes bowed

Even tuning down to a typical C# is no guarantee of a trouble free life...

A 12 can provide a unique kind of magic, particularly in solo performance

Finger picking takes much hard work but is rewarded because most players do not offer that style...

V

:-({|=

I had the same problem and after several months I just decided to buy a Guild F-412.

And I have it.

Man - this is a piano-guitar.

Sorry Gibson, but Gibson doesn't make 12 string acoustics these days dry.gif

Just find yourself a Guild 12 string.

I opted for an early 1963 Gibson B45-12. Sounds like a Hummingbird with a chorus pedal which is not surprising as Gibson 12 strings through late 1964 had the same light un-scalloped top bracing as the six string guitars. While the light bracing was great for sound it sucked for longevity with many of these guitars literally pulling themselves apart. But strung with 13s tuned down to C# there is nothing out there like them.

I opted for an early 1963 Gibson B45-12. Sounds like a Hummingbird with a chorus pedal which is not surprising as Gibson 12 strings through late 1964 had the same light un-scalloped top bracing as the six string guitars. While the light bracing was great for sound it sucked for longevity with many of these guitars literally pulling themselves apart. But strung with 13s tuned down to C# there is nothing out there like them.

I really thought about going vintage, and there are some good deals to be had but it scares me that there might be some structural surprises I just don't really want to deal with. My guitars travel with me and are played a lot in a live setting. So I need a pickup and reliability.... So the newer the better

Did someone mention Gibson 12 Stringers?

64 Gibson B25-12N Photos below.... [thumbup]

Beautiful 12 string sound, but honest, I don't like taking it outside for the photo, let alone a friend's for fun. So gig.....nope. Everyone raves about Guilds for gigs, though I have never seen one/

B25-12N1_zps47b6e121.jpg

B25-12N3_zpsf906a965.jpg

I put this photo up to show how far the intonation would have been out if I hadn't changed the rusty unadjustable adjustable bridge to a bone saddle - the guitar tech routed that bit out and made a rosewood insert with the bone saddle. Different guitar since!

B25-12N2_zpscec14024.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived