Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement pickups

neil fraser

Hey - I'm trying to decide on a replacement bridge pickup for my SG standard. I play metal mostly, the extemity goes up to thrash, so I want a high out-put pickup without it being too hot. The stock pickups are cool, but a little dry for me. I've Been considering seymour duncans JB and Custom. Can any metal playing SG guys offer any advise? Cheers

No metal guy here, but in the 1980s I tried swapping the tarback Super Humbucking bridge pickup in my 1978 Gibson S-G Standard with a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Duncan Custom. Guess why I went back and stay that way: Both of them had LESS output than the stock pickup. [scared] This obviously is a rather hot one despite of reading 7.8 kOhms only, proving that DC resistance is not a valid basis for estimating signal output.

I would guess you have 490R / 498T in the SG,, and by comparison, my 95 LPStd (came stock with those)

I've JB in the bridge position in 2002 LPStd les paul standards.

The JB/59 SD combo definitely wails, but it still may be too tame for your "extremity" needs.

The 02 LPStd that has the Duncans is for sure hotter than the 95 LPStd with the Gibson 490R/498T combo, but WAY more hotter? I can't say so

you may want to look at (as mentioned) dirty fingers or Dimazio Super Distortion

Some may say EMGs, but I've never had a liking for those.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Gibson '61 reissue SG and it came stock with 57 alnico's. they sound amazing while playing softer blues and rock stuff but like you I am a metal head and they are lacking that attack/ clarity/ hotness/ and sustain that is so important in Meatal. When i switch to the neck pick up for solos its got a sound that i love... just lacking the sustain [thumbdn] .I was also looking into new pups. I was looking into the Seymour JB. But not sure now. If you make a change i would love it if you let me know what you picked and how they turned out.

• 1 month later...

I like a Seymour Duncan SH-2n Jazz in the Neck and a SH-4b JB in the bridge. A classic all around set of pickups. For Metal it looks like you need a Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhem SH-6 set, Or a Dimbage Signature set. My fav Gibson pickups are the Burst Bucker Pros, and 57 Classics. PRS makes a set of /\/\ Metal pickups that made for Metal. D.Allen Hellcay pickups are great too.

Archived