Gibson Brands Forums

NGD !

Karloff

Nice. Now you should be able to get that "brown sound". [biggrin]

<<<<< like that faded brown finish!

it is very brown... lol. the 50's neck is nice too. very comfortable playing. now i really have a reason to do a few sit ups, so it will hangin better on me, lol.

I love 490's!

I put a set in my poor-man's-ES335; my Peavey JF1-EX.

Now that axe has some great Gibson honk!

Does that have a 490R/490T combination or a 490R/498T set?

Personally I want a Les Paul with a 490R/498T combination in them!

I love 490's!

I put a set in my poor-man's-ES335; my Peavey JF1-EX.

Now that axe has some great Gibson honk!

Does that have a 490R/490T combination or a 490R/498T set?

Personally I want a Les Paul with a 490R/498T combination in them!

It has the 490 r & t. I like em.

I think these are honestly one of the most undervalued guitars that Gibson has ever made. I love the finish and the neck on them. I have a 2008 that I have done a lot of work too.

eddceb56-ee16-410e-aec6-cc2582715389_zpse098aa85.jpg

I agree. It's a great guitar. Pleasure to play.

I agree - a great guitar for a super great price! In fact I may buy another one. I've been keeping mine set up for slide (high action - open E) and I miss playing it in standard. I must say it makes a cracking good slide guitar though.

Congrats!! I missed the thread too.

I had the 490/498 combo in my LP classic. I'm in the minority. I don't like them as much as burst buckers but it is all personal taste and I'm glad you like them.

edit. I was wrong, my pickups were: 496R and 500T ceramic humbuckers

How did I miss this thread?

Beautiful SG Karloff!!!

If I had it to do over again, I would choose that finish over both of my cherry red ones.

Congrats!! I missed the thread too.

I had the 490/498 combo in my LP classic. I'm in the minority. I don't like them as much as burst buckers but it is all personal taste and I'm glad you like them.

thanks Lurch & Tman. i'm just happy to finally have a SG. Tman, I'm a big fan of the Burstbuckers too. But I have them in my LP Std. I like having diff pups in diff guitars. as long as i like them, that is. My LP Classic had the 498/496's in it. they were ok. but i wound up swapping them for Pearlygates . I'm surprisingly pleased with the 490's. This time instead of saying, "so are you done now ?", my wife actually said "so whats next for your collection?" God I love that woman... lol.

Archived