Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Supreme

tokairic

I recently bought a NOS 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme. Beautiful instrument, great sound BUT came with an awful set up. So after some work, the action is good, no buzz, string heights at the nut are good, string radius is good at he nut and bridge, truss rod is adjusted. BUT when I play the 1st (high E) string fretted it sometimes slips off the edge of the fretboard. The string looks to be in the right position on the neck so I can only put it down to how the frets are shaped at the ends, and this is how they came, I haven't touched them. They seem to be flattened more at the ends. I just never have this problem with any of my other guitars - has anyone else had similar issues?

[crying] I returned an otherwise perfect brand-new Standard 2012 for that reason. Repair would have taken a refretting. The fret end radiuses were much too wide. I wasn't able to play a moderate downstroke at 2nd, 3rd and 4th fret without wiping the E1st off the board. [thumbdn]

I fear they had to cut this thing up in the end... :(

I recently bought a NOS 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme. Beautiful instrument, great sound BUT came with an awful set up. So after some work, the action is good, no buzz, string heights at the nut are good, string radius is good at he nut and bridge, truss rod is adjusted. BUT when I play the 1st (high E) string fretted it sometimes slips off the edge of the fretboard. The string looks to be in the right position on the neck so I can only put it down to how the frets are shaped at the ends, and this is how they came, I haven't touched them. They seem to be flattened more at the ends. I just never have this problem with any of my other guitars - has anyone else had similar issues?

No on a new Gibson. Since it was NOS and if you bought it from a reputable authorized retailer they should take it back.

Funny that topic should come up ... I've just been considering the same thing with 2011 LP Studio and wondering what I can do about it! The frets are high and I'm wondering what I can tweak in the setup to adjust it. Been fiddling with the treble side string height on the bridge. I'm getting a kind of dead-tinky flat sound out of the high e string too, kind of flat sounding in the middle of the fretboard. Now, complaints about the *new* guitar and it's breakin period are getting less as I've worn it in and it feels like it should to me. Tuning instability is way less now than when new and I'm guessing little problems will dissipate with wear on the frets. Bend toward you instead of away! Why does a worn in guitar feel better than a brand spankin' new one, just does.

The string slipping kind of sounds like a squeaky chew toy dudn' it? No, no it's more like a New Year's Eve 'noisemaker', the kind you blow into (In England, they're called 'blow ticklers')! I always dread that pulloff in the middle of Rock n' Roll!!!!

Funny that topic should come up ... I've just been considering the same thing with 2011 LP Studio and wondering what I can do about it! The frets are high and I'm wondering what I can tweak in the setup to adjust it. Been fiddling with the treble side string height on the bridge. I'm getting a kind of dead-tinky flat sound out of the high e string too, kind of flat sounding in the middle of the fretboard. Now, complaints about the *new* guitar and it's breakin period are getting less as I've worn it in and it feels like it should to me. Tuning instability is way less now than when new and I'm guessing little problems will dissipate with wear on the frets. Bend toward you instead of away! Why does a worn in guitar feel better than a brand spankin' new one, just does.

Sgt.,

That is one of the best pieces of guitar advice I've ever seen in 'print'...someone taught me that early on.

Of course, we all know that bending 'down' is often appropriate, but what you stated is a darn good idea.

I had this same issue on my 2012 LP Trad. I replaced the nut and moved the high E string in ever so slightly ( about a strings width) and that took care of it.

Sorry, guys, this is not about nut or bending. It is about sloppy fret work. I have seen several fret ends with knubs they fouled up completely. I never found such bad things on guitars without fingerboard binding or fret wire over binding.

A worn-in guitar sounds but never feels better to me than a new one, just the contrary. I reject new guitars feeling anyhow used.

Sorry, guys, this is not about nut or bending. It is about sloppy fret work. I have seen several fret ends with knubs they fouled up completely. I never found such bad things on guitars without fingerboard binding or fret wire over binding.

A worn-in guitar sounds but never feels better to me than a new one, just the contrary. I reject new guitars feeling anyhow used.

Ya, no doubt the frets could have been better, guess that is why they went to fret over binding. But changing the nut fixed it without needing a fret job. Though I have thought about putting on some stainless frets, still might. I would then probably just go fret over binding.

I also had the same issue with my 2012 Traditional, whether it was the nibs on the frets or the nut there was barely any room to play the 2nd, 3rd, 4th frets of the high e. I took it back to Long and McQuades here in Canada as it was under a one year warranty (being outside the USA) and they sent it to their headquarters (Canadian Distributor of Gibsons) and they changed the nut. With mine, it fixed it and must have just been the spacing of the slots in the nut. As mentioned if it's purchased from an Authorized Gibson Dealer and it's NOS then you should be able to get some kind of work done on it. I don't see any reason in sending it back for something that small which can be fixed.

I feel your pain man! But be persistent...and in the meantime, just don't try to play Spirit of the Radio!!! haha

• 3 months later...

Had the same problem with my 2012 Classic Custom. Open D chord: 1st string E would slip off the fretboard! Noticed the nut was cut to where the 1st string was extremely close to the edge of the fretboard + the fact of the frets with the nibs at the end caused the string to "roll off" the fret. Took it to my luthier: He replaced the nut with a new bone nut spaced correctly. I also opted for a new fret job, removing the nibs & replacing the frets with jumbo frets that cover the entire width of the fretboard = more playing room! Just got the guitar back last week & played 1st gig today! Plays like a dream! Very satisfied now & glad the old nut, nibs & old frets are history!

IMG_2623.jpg

Archived