Gibson Brands Forums

1959 Gibson LG3 close-ups photos....

BluesKing777

Whenever in the past I have tried to show the age of my LG3, the lens I was using with the Nikon makes the guitar look pretty new. A great lens for portraits supposedly and I would be happy to have someone take mine with this lens, so I guess the experts are correct.

But now I have just taken these photos below with a zoom lens that nobody wants their photo taken with [biggrin] [biggrin] , but the photos show all the cracks and mojo scars beautifully..... you wouldn't believe how far away I was standing....

Looking new:

LG3-1_zpscdd2833f.jpg

Not so new:

LG326_zpsaa61304e.jpg

LG32_zpsdb46166b.jpg

LG33_zpsba4ab1e0.jpg

more to come (wont fit in one post)....

Crap, looking at some of the guitars lying around here, in my house that LG-3 would be described as near mint.

Looks like the dog is happy.

Send them oldies over for some close up shots, ZW!

I'll get them back to you as soon as I can.......... [smile] [smile]

I guess we try to put the old guitars in human years, but really it should be like car years - mileage, condition, maintenance, storage, climate, usage - all added on top of the fact of whether we actually like the sound of the guitar, and the look, and....... A Martin OM I bought is 14 years old and looks near new, while the D28 is 8 years old but looks a lot more with buckle rash and pick scratches....

BluesKing777.

PS. And he is a very happy dog, normally, and he loves that camera, guitars....luckily. Another dog I had years ago would bite a camera, and photographer, and guitarist/s and detested......drummers! - gave a couple of drummers a talking to.....

Lots of us here have a soft spot in our hearts for the LG-2 and LG-3. To me they are a guitar that does not do anything particularly well but they sound so good trying. So no surprise about how you feel about that guitar. Just sweet and fun little instruments. And nothing out there sounds like an old LG.

In my teen years I always played an early 60s LG3 that my brother had. I had a Kay and a Kalamazoo made Epi arch top, but, that LG3 in the house was way to good to not play most of the time. Amazing how my brother never really knew how much I would play it and take it out of the house with me and play/bring it places. When he moved out and took it with him, well that is really when my guitar collecting started to fill the gap of no longer having it around to play.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

In my teen years I always played an early 60s LG3 that my brother had. I had a Kay and a Kalamazoo made Epi arch top, but, that LG3 in the house was way to good to not play most of the time. Amazing how my brother never really knew how much I would play it and take it out of the house with me and play/bring it places. When he moved out and took it with him, well that is really when my guitar collecting started to fill the gap of no longer having it around to play.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Hmmmm!

My younger brother and sister both dabble with learning guitar for a short while way back when..........

Point is I never ever ever saw them with MINE, but like QM says above.....

But out here on the furthest moon from the planet Dreadnaughtvillia, we had never heard of an LG3 and if it wasn't a Strat, Tele or Les you played, others looked at you as the unfortunate! Ohhh, look at that poor, poor guy with the old broken looking Gibson J.......old Martin.....

Plenty of those electrics here at the time, especially the much loved 70s and 80s Teles/Strat/Les! [cursing] [cursing] [cursing], and the chances of importing anything else like the said LG3 above, well it would have been a long trip on a boat and cost about the same as the Crown Jewels...

We are now spoiled rotten with the internet and the online sales we all complain about, though now it only costs a bit less than the Crown Jewels!

BluesKing777.

Pretty funny! They nights been playing it and ya never knew!

In my case I was well aware of Gibsons even back then and I loved that LG3 as a players instrument. Over the years they didn't develop the mythology of the J' s and AJ'S and J200, etc, but they sell for a pretty penny today and, Gibson did just reissue the LG2 AM Eagle which is a LG3 really because it natural and not sunburst.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Pretty funny! They nights been playing it and ya never knew!

In my case I was well aware of Gibsons even back then and I loved that LG3 as a players instrument. Over the years they didn't develop the mythology of the J' s and AJ'S and J200, etc, but they sell for a pretty penny today and, Gibson did just reissue the LG2 AM Eagle which is a LG3 really because it natural and not sunburst.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

We are all thousands of miles apart, but if I ever catch them holding forth at a gathering of the clan or something, I will wait for the wrong moment and say: 'And by the way, I know you use to steal my guitar!' [mellow]

On the LG3 above, I need to lose the bone pins for some ebony ones - they are making it sound way too bright and a bit scratchy. (Though great for belting out some chords). It had a wonderful sound for balladry with the ebony pins, but we keep mucking around, after reading stuff here probably. It is very sensitive to pin type, this guitar....others, not so much.

BluesKing777.

Archived