Gibson Brands Forums

ngd 1990 explorer tobacco burst

tmtstillrockin@51

Picked up a pretty nice 1990 Gibson explorer tobacco burst today, from what I can tell the only modification is original tuners were replaced with Grovers. Do any of you know where I can find out how many were made in this finish? The guitar shows very little wear, has a few minor dings considering it's 24 years old. Haven't checked the pot codes yet. I will try to post some pics as soon as I can.

Thanls guys, I'm pretty happy with the newest edition. Not sure if its the difference in age but the pickups in the tobacco burst are not near as hot as the lace or the seymour duncans.

Probably these are 496R and 500T stock. They provide less midrange bite and offer a "jazzy" clean and a "metal" high gain tone to my experience.

• 1 month later...

I have this same guitar! Good question about how many are out there.

Mine is actually dated to December '89. On mine, the stock pickups are (I should say were, swapped 'em out for Antiquities) those Bill Lawrence designed Original pickups. I didn't care for them, sounded great at high volume, but anything less than that was grainy and too dark.

It also seems that the neck is a little more designed for the "shredder" of the time. Thinner and much more of that '60 SG/LP kind of neck profile, than later ones which seem to have more shoulder. Pretty sure the mini-Grovers are stock, that's what mine came with as well, was dead stock when I got it.

It's one my favorite favorite guitars, it's a lot more versatile sounding with the SDs than one would be led to believe by the looks of the thing. It's on the heavy side, easily LP 9.5-10 pound range. I could also swear it's a one piece body. Could be wrong, but for the life of me, can't find ANY seam lines in the wood grain. The grain goes through front/back for as much of the wood grain as I can see.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a pretty nice 1990 Gibson explorer tobacco burst today, from what I can tell the only modification is original tuners were replaced with Grovers. Do any of you know where I can find out how many were made in this finish? The guitar shows very little wear, has a few minor dings considering it's 24 years old. Haven't checked the pot codes yet. I will try to post some pics as soon as I can.

Nice score. I had that exact same guitar, but mine was a 1991. I bought it brand new in '91. To this day, I still feel like punching myself in the face for letting it go when I was much younger and dumber.

The Vintage Sunburst, as it was referred to back then, was a standard finish option from 1990 to around 1998 (I think) on the explorer. They aren't easy to find, but they did make quite a few of them. And, Grover tuners were stock on the '76 reissue explorer back then.

Archived