Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know how to get rid of hornets nest?

saturn

Vietnam era flamethrower?

Reading2006000001804.jpg

No really, you'll need a professional for that job, I think this is past the insecticide spray that shoots 15 feet especially designed for wasps and hornets...although this stuff says it kills on contact.

I agree... a professional. Spend the money, and have it done right so nobody gets hurt.

Absolutely.

I've seen this done. They come out after dark, smoke the nest and then bag it. What they do after they drive off with the bagged nest I have no idea, but it probably involves something similar to the flame thrower above.

It would have to be Labor Day Weekend when the fee will probably be double.

I'm considering waiting until dark and sneaking up with a heavy drawl string bag and some clippers. It's only hanging on one thin branch.

Can't you see it? .......and his last words were "here, hold my beer" [unsure]

It would have to be Labor Day Weekend when the fee will probably be double.

I'm considering waiting until dark and sneaking up with a heavy drawl string bag and some clippers. It's only hanging on one thin branch.

Can't you see it? .......and his last words were "here, hold my beer" [unsure]

Looks like that thing took more than a few days to make, so it's been there for a while. It can wait a couple more days until after Labor Day. Prices will drop and you can get a professional… But please, if you do decide to do it yourself, don't forget to film it… [thumbup]

Hang a 4 x 12 from a nearby branch facing the nest. Connect a 100W tube amp of your choice. Dime all controls on the amp and the LP. With a video camera recording, and the bridge pickup selected, hit an open position Em chord full bore with no muting. Post a link to the video here ...

Or call a pro. Record a video of the pro if you use one.

that's a "bald (white head) hornet" nest....the baddest of the bad.

leave it be until the absolutely coldest week of the year......then go bag it & take it to a landfill etc.

DON'T open the bag in a (warm) vehicle, or take it inside for a trophy.......i've heard of disaster from doing both.

calling a "pro" on this would likely cost a small fortune........

It should be noted that bald-faced hornets are really a variety of yellowjacket. Yellowjackets are fairly aggressive. Most real hornets are fairly docile. Just not the Asian ones. Stay away from the hornets they have in Asia. They're not very nice.

If you do try to take it down, have a B, C, and D plans for backup.

I would wear one of those winter hats with the ear flaps and neck cover, a thick jacket that allows you to me, have a fly swatter nearby or better yet a tennis racket and as an escape route I would have a car nearby with the door open so you can jump in.

Last time I killed a few wasps with a fly swatter I ruined it, these things are tough! really rugged.

This is my dads house (I grew up in it) and it's been vacant for several years. I am trying to sell it so I can't have a bunch of hornets flying around potential buyers. Plus, there are other houses and kids in the neighborhood.

This is my dads house (I grew up in it) and it's been vacant for several years. I am trying to sell it so I can't have a bunch of hornets flying around potential buyers. Plus, there are other houses and kids in the neighborhood.

Completely understood, this sucks. Would leave it to a professional though.

At least see if there is a local apiary that would let you use his suit ...

Some people collect those nests, but I'm not sure how they are acquired or made suitable for display. Check around some. There might be an old-timer that wants and will deal with it for you if you let them have the nest.

Again, a local apiary might have a line on such folks.

You can do it yourself but wait until around dawn and then give it a good blast from a distance with a can of wasp killer and start with soaking the entrance to it.

Early next morning heave a big rock at it to knock it down and you're done.

I agree... a professional. Spend the money, and have it done right so nobody gets hurt. A nest that large can easily hold enough stinging insects to do some real harm.

100% right. Best option by far and the only sensible one.

I'm considering waiting until dark and sneaking up with a heavy drawl string bag and some clippers.

NO NO NO! Really, don't do this.

You can do it yourself but wait until around dawn and then give it a good blast from a distance with a can of wasp killer and start with soaking the entrance to it.

Early next morning heave a big rock at it to knock it down and you're done.

This is not a good idea at all IMO.

<<< had to deal w/an underground yellow-jacket nest yesterday.......examined the area for "exit holes" which they bore immediately after the hive is established.

saw none, so it took only one bottle half filled w/gasoline to plug the "entrance" hole.

NO I do NOT ignite the gas.......but in late winter i'll remove the bottle from the hole.

Archived