Gibson Brands Forums

new pro 1

bill67

Every aspect of a guitar's construction has se impact on its sound. But, I don't believe.nor have I ever heard that a string through bridge vs a pin bridge has any significant affect on a guitar's sound. I once compared a Gibson J40 from the 70' s that had a string through bridge with another 70's Gibson with a pin bridge...and,though the pin bridge one looked better, there really wasn't any significant difference in sound between the two guitars. Using a string through bridge on the J40 I mention, was more if a cost cutting move than anything. Lower priced guitars typically are more likely to have a string through bridge than a higher end guitar. Just part of the guitar tradition. It's something that can distinguish a lower end guitar from a higher end.

Just my two cents. Others may have a different perspective.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

I dunno about the point on quality from a pin bridge...

Classical guitars traditionally use a variation of a string-through bridge. Figure that on a $20-30,000 Hauser or Ramirez... even a cheapie running $3-$8,000.

Ovation used the string through on steel string 6 and 12-strings on their high-end instruments - although I'll be first to suggest that some might not consider the bowl back as "of value."

Also, in effect any guitar with a tailpiece functionally has a string-through function. That's been used on some of the cheapest of the cheap orange-crate guitars and on all the highest of the high end archtops and many excellent flattop designs.

In fact, in "gypsy jazz" guitars, they're flattops with a tailpiece except for the "cheapies" that have pin bridges.

One might make a case that a string through or tailpiece design could at least in theory allow the top more resonance without the extra weight of the stuff needed to handle a pin bridge. Or conversely, it could be claimed that the pin bridge well-made would force more vibration onto the top.

That could mean, for example, lighter bracing design on a string through - or it could mean on a super-cheapie tailpiece flattop like the old Stellas of the '50s that the engineers questioned their own materials as well as sought to cut costs. OTOH, jazz arch and flattops with tailpiece and floating bridges are considered high end because of their design... Go figure.

Pay your money.

In practice, I think a lot has to do with consumer (us folks) appeal. IMHO you'll hear more difference in acoustic guitars of similar quality by how they're played, how they're shaped and materials, and what strings are worn, than most of the specific bits of design. For example I don't think tuning pegs make that much difference in tone, although you'll hear some claim so.

I also think that in real life, the way one holds a "box" guitar will make a world of difference in sound - far more than one might imagine.

m

I often wondered why all guitars didn't have a string through bridge as they are so much simpler to restrinbg. Milod you make some great points probably the best of which is that a guitar will sound completely different depending on the player! Great players can make a cheapie sound great and vice versa

Archived