Gibson Brands Forums

Trying Martin Retro Monel strings on my J45 today.

michaeljohnr

It's a rainy Sunday so I thought I would throw a set of Martin Retro Monel strings on my J45 today.

Wish me luck.

(Will a Gibson explode if you use Martin strings?)

7martinretrostrings800-630-80.jpg

I use Martin strings now almost all the time if I can't find Mangans. Let us know your thoughts on those strings on your 45. Lights? (12s) I'm assuming these are close relatives to the Tony Rice Monels?

I bought a new D-28 a few months back and it came with Martin Lifespan strings. Medium gauge 13 -56. Which to my girly hands are like piano wires. The strings are almost ready to me changed and when they are, I am going to take it in and get the nut filed for Light Gauge 12 - 54. I went even lighter on the D-15M to Custom Light 11 - 52. Might have to try a set of the Monels.

How did you like the d-15m? I have a 000 15M..love it

OK....

1. If you are used to phosphor bronze these will look a little strange. All silver versus the brass color of the others.

2. They are definitely a string with what I would consider a reduced tension. They bend easier and feel more loose. EDIT: I just checked the tension and there is about 1.5 pound difference between the Retro strings and the Martin Lifespans I had on there before. The Retros just feel like there is less tension for some reason.

3. New they sound good on the J45. Not overly bright and zingy. They have a nice woody tone. Of course they have been on the guitar less than 24 hours so I'll give them a week of play to wear in and see what they sound like.

The initial impressions are positive though.

Let's revisit in a week.

I bought a new D-28 a few months back and it came with Martin Lifespan strings. Medium gauge 13 -56. Which to my girly hands are like piano wires. The strings are almost ready to me changed and when they are, I am going to take it in and get the nut filed for Light Gauge 12 - 54. I went even lighter on the D-15M to Custom Light 11 - 52. Might have to try a set of the Monels.

Just curious, why would you want the nut filed? Going from mediums to lights should be absolutely no problem regarding the slots. I used Martin M540 lights on my D-41 and didn't have to change anything with the setup except a slight truss rod adjustment. BTW, lights sounded excellent on the D-41.

Lights should sound just fine on the D-28, and the monels will usually bring out the natural woody tone of a guitar. Let us know if you try the monels and what you think.

DC

Not overly bright and zingy. ... woody tone
That squares with my experience (although that is limited to a adi/hog J35 and a spruce cherry smartwood OM. No help for you rose and maple owners). If round and woody floats your boat, good deal. If you want the extra sizzle tha PBs bring to the party, monels may not get it for you.

Lights should sound just fine on the D-28
Well, a lot of folks use them to satsifaction. I'd be thinking, tho, you might not be getting all of what the git has to offer-- it takes some tension to get that top moving. Case in point: a couple years back, a local shop had in a D18v (the V-series is the 1st tier of CFM's high end). Strung with 12/s, it was pleasant and airy; strung with 13s, it packed a wallop. I would say the mediums are essential if you are bluegrassing. MMV on other apps. Back to main discussion.

Well, a lot of folks use them to satsifaction. I'd be thinking, tho, you might not be getting all of what the git has to offer-- it takes some tension to get that top moving. Case in point: a couple years back, a local shop had in a D18v (the V-series is the 1st tier of CFM's high end). Strung with 12/s, it was pleasant and airy; strung with 13s, it packed a wallop. I would say the mediums are essential if you are bluegrassing. MMV on other apps. Back to main discussion.

I was tying to be positive and supportive since she mentioned mediums are like playing piano strings to her, and just bought the D-28. No, lights may not bring out quite all the D-28 has to offer, but playing comfort is important and from my experience with a D-41, lights weren't all that different from mediums in terms of tone and volume. But then I'm not a buegrasser and something tells me FZ Fan isn't either. It'll be interesting to see how she likes lights on that guitar, and naturally depends upon the type/style of music she plays.

DC

I was tying to be positive and supportive since she mentioned mediums are like playing piano strings to her, and just bought the D-28.
That's a point well taken. There's what sounds best and what works. To the OP--give 'em a try and see how they work for you...

I'm with you here…..13's are a must on D=18's

It's a rainy Sunday so I thought I would throw a set of Martin Retro Monel strings on my J45 today.

Wish me luck.

(Will a Gibson explode if you use Martin strings?)

7martinretrostrings800-630-80.jpg

Try Newtone Heritage strings they are magnificent. Hand wound onto round blanks. Far superior to Martin strings

Archived