Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitar music...

QuestionMark

Over this weekend, I recorded 4 original pieces of music using for an EP on YouTube. Though I own a stable of Gibsons, lately I expanded my guitar collection and guitar playing muse to include an Epiphone EL-00 Pro. Hope you'll listen to and enjoy the music (or some of it) and the EL-OO. Sorry, no real video of the guitar in this, its all about the music.

Click here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHUPAokcIM

Anyone else branching out to include some of the great new Epiphones in their stable of Gibsons?

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

I have the EL00-pro also. Why that 'stedda a similar size Gibbie for under $2,000?

It comes down to no Gibson dealer within a day's drive that'd have one, and I refuse to pay over $500 for a guitar I ain't been able to wring out myself.

The little Epi ain't a Gibson, but it's a nice little box. I also considered a cupla Martins but decided that solid top and laminate is better than even solid top and chipboard - even if it's Epi vs. Martin.

Ain't really had a chance to wring it out yet because rodeo season just ended. But I will.

m

Anyone else branching out to include some of the great new Epiphones in their stable of Gibsons?

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

If Epiphone released something I liked I would definitely go that way. But I'm really really picky when it comes to acoustic guitars. And at this time there's only one Acoustic I have played that floored me other than Gibson and it was this Breedlove d/ac deluxe custom [love] .... What a guitar.

Maybe if someday Epi decided to release a Made in USA FT79 Texan acoustic, I would probably be all over that [thumbup]

QM: "Sparkly" sound. I liked Glimpse of Heaven. Is that guitar laminated back n sides?

Duluthdan-

Milod answered correctly, lam back and sides. Solid top. I agree it has a sparkly sound...or even a chimey sound. It's sound certainly has gotten to my musical muse. Thanks for the positive feedback on the GoH song!

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Mark,

Congrats on a fine guitar! And on putting the guitar to work on a cool song.

Last time I was in a GC, I checked out the EL-00 and was completely charmed by the value per $. Having never heard of the model prior to walking into the store, I decided to go home and look it up. Now, I'm looking forward to finding the Epiphone Caballero and hearing how I like that model. I'm thinking that day may involve two guitar purchases, the EL-00 and the Cabellero, if decent models can be bought. Obviously, they don't match a high-end guitar for craftsmanship, or nuanced sound, but at least the EL-00 is a very good A/E choice for people looking for a guitar to bring out to kick around and/or to record some rough acoustic tracks.

I also just saw a Gretsch Jim Dandy Flat Top, X-braced 12-fret 24" scale at $149 in the MF catalog that's got me wondering too. I often have more fun with cheap guitars than the ones that empty my bank account.

Mark,

Congrats on a fine guitar! And on putting the guitar to work on a cool song.

Last time I was in a GC, I checked out the EL-00 and was completely charmed by the value per $. Having never heard of the model prior to walking into the store, I decided to go home and look it up. Now, I'm looking forward to finding the Epiphone Caballero and hearing how I like that model. I'm thinking that day may involve two guitar purchases, the EL-00 and the Cabellero, if decent models can be bought. Obviously, they don't match a high-end guitar for craftsmanship, or nuanced sound, but at least the EL-00 is a very good A/E choice for people looking for a guitar to bring out to kick around and/or to record some rough acoustic tracks.

I also just saw a Gretsch Jim Dandy Flat Top, X-braced 12-fret 24" scale at $149 in the MF catalog that's got me wondering too. I often have more fun with cheap guitars than the ones that empty my bank account.

Thanks for listening. Much appreciated.

I am blown away with how well the EL-00 plays from my player perspective. I actually traded an old EKO that I never played for my EL-00 at a guitar show. I think I paid about $125 for the un-played EKO, so although the EL-00's are priced great at $299 plus a case, I got an even better deal (a plush case for the EL-00 was also also part of the deal.) Playing it, though is what really blew me away.

Regarding the new Caballero, I haven't yet tried one. But,one thing I'm not sure of is whether the new Caballero has a solid top or not. In some places I've seen it listed as having a solid top and in others, it says a select top. I have a Kalamazoo Epiphone Caballero already in my collection (which was a solid top guitar), so I'm curious as to whether the reissue Caballero is of the same quality (and solid top.)

The EL-00 Pro is definitely a solid top guitar, though lam sides and back (which don't seem to be much of any kind of drawback on the small bodied guitar.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Good Stuff...I like Epi's not as well as the Gibbies but I own some cheap guitars and I agree they are fun for the right time and just to get a little more of a raw feel...I have been eyeing the 00 and the humming bird epi's...

Definitely a fun guitar. The only thing I notice significantly different from my Gibsons is the perceived coolness factor. ie. At the music jam I run, when I brought in a new Gibson I've acquired, a number of other jammers ask me to try it. When I brought in the Epiphone EL-00, not a jammer asked to try it. Also, I notice at my music gigs if I'm playing one of my Gibsons, inevitably someone comes up to me during a break or yells out while I'm playing, something like "Hey you've got a cool Gibson." When I play the Epiiphone EL-00 at a gig, though it sounds great, no one seems to make a "that's a cool guitar" comment from the audience. An interesting phenom, eh?

Thanks for listening to the EP's music. Much appreciated.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Jeff... I think you pretty well hit the "coolness factor" of the Gibson vs. the Epi.

I've used a PR5e several times at an annual ranch country village fundraiser cowboy poetry and music program. A couple of years ago a Brit video crew was on hand for another story I'd helped them with. Since two of the three had music video experience, I asked them to listen to the guitar - ignoring how I played, but for sound quality so I could consider using other instruments in similar venues. I ran it direct through the board. Their response was that it sounded "exceptional" and no need ever to switch guitars.

And that's a lam top too.

A Gibson is a work of art instrument in many ways.

An Epi is a workmanlike musical instrument. It's the design well-manufactured that makes it punch far over its weight when it comes to producing music.

Honestly, I think that compared to what was available when I was a kid, we're in guitar player heaven.

m

Thank you for sharing you work, Jeff. Enjoyed it!

As for the EL-00 Pro, I was curious about this model & decided to take a look. Tried one out and it had a wonderful sound with the solid top & fine playability (black bound fingerboard), so I bought it and then took it to two other stores to compare. The next two I tried sounded tighter by comparison, so the first one came home. As always, A-Bing can reveal a lot (if you're able to do so).

Imho, at this price point, a good example of this little guy represents quite a bargain, and it's cute as can be!

Archived