Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson J-45 1942 Banner Reissue [biggrin]

bobster

Hi i posted this on the AGF but have joined here also as it seems more appropriate and im sure not everyone here is a member of the AGF. I won't bore everything with the details of my search for a first Gibson (if you are interested the thread is at http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355202)

Right here are some quick pics. they are not great but this guitar is hard to photograph and i suck at photography! I'll try and get some better pics when I have time. Its really hard trying to fully capture the burst of this guitar and to get a decent picture of the back and sides. Flippin' Nightmare!

... But at least you can see the adirondack top is pretty tight grained in places, the rosewood fretboard has loads of red/rose and general colour in it. The burst is warm, glowing and pretty, especially in person (pics do not do it justice) and closer in many ways to the last but one picture in the above post. It has a real vintage vibe in person and feels a lot more solid than the standard and TV models yet still very light. I took pics in my H&D case as i'm not very keen on the Gibson burgandy lined combination case.

IMG_2710_zps305ae5fc.jpg

IMG_2711_zps81564d42.jpg

IMG_2759_zps900b60b2.jpg

IMG_2774_zps7d23eede.jpg

IMG_2786_zps3b7cc588.jpg

IMG_2796_zps03929d8e.jpg

IMG_2732_zpscfb86935.jpg

IMG_2783_zpsba28c349.jpg

IMG_2763_zps0993d971.jpg

Wow ! That looks an awful lot like the Legend I have, but for the binding being a shade lighter. Classy case! Love it, absolutely love it ! [thumbup]

Thanks its a really nice guitar. Sadly the store didnn't have a legend for me to try and there are only two I know of for sale in the UK at present. Its probably a good thing cos a legend in the UK costs £5150 ($8550), no discounts. The binding is aged but as you say not as much as the legend. I need to buy a nice case for it as my H&D wants its bed back [biggrin]

Beautiful but why the heck Gibson refuses to put a correct 1942 rosette and tort pickguard on their "RIs" beats the heck out of me.

Thanks,

What should the rosette look like? The pickguard is not great any suggestions on where i can order a decent one?

Thanks

Beautiful but why the heck Gibson refuses to put a correct 1942 rosette and tort pickguard on their "RIs" beats the heck out of me.

The only place your going to find some better looking firestripe pickguard material is from Jim Burkett and I don't believe he's making any at this time.

The only place your going to find some better looking firestripe pickguard material is from Jim Burkett and I don't believe he's making any at this time.

Ahh I see, thankyou for the info. I was hoping it would be fairly easy to get a decent firestripe pickguard even if i had to order one from the US. Wishful thinking.

I had one made by my repair guy. He copied the pickguard on my mid-1930s Schmidt. Problem with the Gibson scratchplates is they lack the subtlety that you find with the originals.

Curious, below is a photo of a 42 J-45, and if you can zoom in, it clearly shows a 7-ply rosette. But a phot of JTs guitar this is modeled after does not show7-ply. 3 , or perhaps 5, I can't tell, my eyesight is fadin' fast. You can see JTs guitar on the AGF here Its page 3 of the comments if this doesn't work right. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355202&page=3

Consistently inconsistent

7ply42J-45_zpsc2c02f37.jpg

Curious, below is a photo of a 42 J-45, and if you can zoom in, it clearly shows a 7-ply rosette. But a phot of JTs guitar this is modeled after does not show7-ply. 3 , or perhaps 5, I can't tell, my eyesight is fadin' fast. You can see JTs guitar on the AGF here Its page 3 of the comments if this doesn't work right. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355202&page=3

Consistently inconsistent

7ply42J-45_zpsc2c02f37.jpg

Your right! its the one on the cover of his book 'Kalamazoo gals' The original guitar has a 3 ply rosette so its a copy of this specific guitar rather than the 'average banner j-45' if there is such a thing?

The pickguard however is rather tacky compared to the lovely firestripe pickguard on the original. Maybe i'll see if Dave King can make me one. The link below shows a firestripe pickguard on one of Dave's L-00's (not mine).

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1235423/Re-My-new-Dave-King-L00-clone

Its a really cracking guitar.

Congrats on a sweet guitar!

Thankyou smurfbird!

I had one made by my repair guy. He copied the pickguard on my mid-1930s Schmidt. Problem with the Gibson scratchplates is they lack the subtlety that you find with the originals.

I agree they look tacky whereas the originals had a much classier look.

one of the best deals in Gibson for sure! Congratulations!

Yes I agree, but being in the UK the guitar cost me exactly £2399 ($3970) so not really cheap. Although still well worth it [biggrin]

Your right! its the one on the cover of his book 'Kalamazoo gals' The original guitar has a 3 ply rosette so its a copy of this specific guitar rather than the 'average banner j-45' if there is such a thing?

Banners were indeed all over the place. I always get the impression that a part was considered done when it "looked close enough."

But Gibson had not yet been hit with material shortages in 1942 so the specs do not vary as much as they did starting in 1943.

Here is an old thread from the UMGF on the guitar JT sent Gibson.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1778695/Re-1942-Gibson-J45-Reissue#.VAW5kGco7IU

Also a thread on the Gibson LG-1 reissue based on a guitar JT sent them.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1735989/Re-1943-Gibson-LG1-and-Gibsons-recent-replica#.VAW7Amco7IU

Banners were indeed all over the place. I always get the impression that a part was considered done when it "looked close enough."

But Gibson had not yet been hit with material shortages in 1942 so the specs do not vary as much as they did starting in 1943.

Here is an old thread from the UMGF on the guitar JT sent Gibson.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1778695/Re-1942-Gibson-J45-Reissue#.VAW5kGco7IU

Also a thread on the Gibson LG-1 reissue based on a guitar JT sent them.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1735989/Re-1943-Gibson-LG1-and-Gibsons-recent-replica#.VAW7Amco7IU

Thankyou for the links, most appreciated, gonna read them now :)

That's beautiful guitar. Very nice burst. Congrats and enjoy!

Red 333

Thankyou! The burst looks better in reality. In som ways the original listing is closer to what it looks like but still not quite right (hover above to zoom in):

http://guitarvillage.uk.com/product/14828-150/Gibson-J45-42-Banner-RS42VSNH1-New-Vintage-Sunburst-Incl-Case.aspx

Have to join in and say congrats on a fine looking instrument. Welcome, and enjoy your J-45 RI!

Thankyou very much, such a nice welcome here. I don't think this Gibson will be my last. What other models have a really big neck? I know the legend does but what else?

What other models have a really big neck? I know the legend does but what else?

I do not think I have ever run into a Gibson made from at least the late 1930s on that had what I would call a really big neck. But I reckon it is all based on your frame of reference. The necks on the 1930s Schmidt Stellas and Kay Krafts I also play dwarf that on my 1942 J-50 and pretty much any Gibson I have ever held in my hands. But I pretty much find all Gibson necks on guitars made before 1960 comfortable although I prefer the pre-1947 guitars with the 1 3/4" nut, not counting, of course, Bozeman-made guitars.

I do not think I have ever run into a Gibson made from at least the late 1930s on that had what I would call a really big neck. But I reckon it is all based on your frame of reference. The necks on the 1930s Schmidt Stellas and Kay Krafts I also play dwarf that on my 1942 J-50 and pretty much any Gibson I have ever held in my hands. But I pretty much find all Gibson necks on guitars made before 1960 comfortable although I prefer the pre-1947 guitars with the 1 3/4" nut, not counting, of course, Bozeman-made guitars.

Those Stellas and Krafts must be morbidly obese! I've never had the chance to play one but i would love to. It's funny when i first picked up the 42 reissue I thought it was too big and that there was no way i would be able to get used to it but now it feels really comfortable. Its amazing how quickly we adapt.

Archived